PDA

View Full Version : Cerebremancer choosing between ArchPsion and Legacy Champion

CountAile
2018-10-23, 05:31 AM
So, long story short, my Wizard 1/Psion 3/Cerebremancer X is going to run out of the Cerebremancer levels to take, bringing them to 11 levels of almost strictly Utility-based Wizard and 13 levels of action-economy-breaking-heavy-blasting optimized Psion. Now I've got to decide what to do with the remaining 6 levels.

One possible option is Legacy Champion. I've already designed a Legacy progression that would, along with the PRC itself, take away 3 ML and 16 PP, with the first easily fixable with Practiced Manifester, and the second being outweighed by 36 PP worth of Metapsionics in the designed Weapon. Furthermore, it would bring the progression to Wizard 16/Psion 18, which is almost perfect in terms of being ready for Epic progression (and the amount of toys available).

The second possible option is Arch Psion. I was allowed to take the class, and it looks pretty good, even thou I'll have to Psychic Reformation in the feats required, and this option will drain even more PP (about enough to negate all the INT bonuses to PP)... But I feel conflicted about upgrading it to 3.5 (replacing prereqs, erasing parts about 0th level powers and Psionic Combat, replacing Extra Power with what's essentially Expanded Knowledge, upgrading Innate Power to the wording close to 3.5 Archmage, replacing Greater Psionic Focus with +1 ML option and scratching out Psionic Energy Substitution entirely because it doesn't make sense at all), since at the end of the day it looks like Homebrew - thou, the option to take Sculpt Power, those precious and rare +1 ML and extra Expanded Knowledges on top of that looks extremely tempting. Hell, even just changing prereqesites still makes this a pretty good class.

So... What should I do, exactly? My DM is fine with both classes, and with both adapting Arch Psion and leaving it as-is

Lapak
2018-10-23, 07:42 AM
Honestly, it sounds like you would prefer to go Legacy Champion and it's not like that would be a bad mechanical choice. Go for it.

Nifft
2018-10-23, 09:39 AM
Honestly, it sounds like you would prefer to go Legacy Champion and it's not like that would be a bad mechanical choice. Go for it.

Agree with this.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-23, 10:03 AM
If you're making your own legacy weapon and have ways to offset the horrible nerfs it forces upon you (or are using nerfs you don't care about -- like your BAB instead of ML which you should do by the way), then definitely go for legacy champion.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-23, 10:04 AM
Can you use the Mind Mage (Dragon #313)? Because that's hands-down your best option here.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-23, 10:10 AM
Can you use the Mind Mage (Dragon #313)? Because that's hands-down your best option here.I agree with this, as well. Go wiz 1/psion 3 and take cerebremancer just far enough to go mind mage, take that all the way, and finish off with cerebremancer. Once you hit epic and cap off both your wizard casting and psion manifesting at 20, go legacy champion, as your native CL and ML won't matter nearly as much after that (and you can find other ways to give you boosts, such as orange ioun stones, Practiced Spellcaster and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics), Improved Overchannel, and so on).

CountAile
2018-10-23, 10:35 AM
Yeah, so basically after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided to map out the Powers progression. This helped to clear my head, since there's a lot of important staff at the end of the Power List that I won't be able to get on an unaltered 5/6 Psion progression and that (for the most part) is pretty abuse-friendly and isn't easily replicable by a Wizard (at least, without a LOT of supporting feats). Which means I'll need Arch Psion to do that. Having Sculpt Power in addition to that is also a huge plus.

So yeah, as fun as my Magical Trinket of Metapsionics and Fiery Rays looks like, I'll have to skip on Legacy Champion. Sorry to bother you, guys.