PDA

View Full Version : Your real life stats

Davehotep
2018-10-23, 06:42 AM
Hello various creatures of the playground,

I’m usually a lurker rather than a poster but I had an idea I thought could be kinda fun. I’m sure everyone has harboured thoughts of what type of character they would be in D&D but I thought I’d delve a little deeper and consider what my stats would be – not me imagined as a mighty wandering hero from Faerun or somewhere but real life me, a skinny 40yr old civil servant from Birmingham, England.

Now, I imagine none of us would realistically (& I use that term very loosely in relation to a D&D thread) give ourselves above a 12 in most stats so I’ve chosen to interpret the figures thusly: 10-11 = your average Joe, not good, not bad, just meh. 12-13 = you’ve put some time and effort into this and seen some real improvement. 14-15 = This is a strength for you, either through training or natural ability, you excel in this area. 16-17 = You pretty much need to be Albert Einstein, Terry Crews or Arnold Schwarzenegger to justify this. 18+ = nope, just nope. You can go lower than 10 if you want but why on Earth would you wanna do that?!

Be honest, no need for ego or modesty here, I’m interested to see how you’d genuinely rate yourself. And finally, based off your stats, what class would you choose?

So I guess I’ll kick things off then:
STR: 11 - I exercise regularly and I’m in good shape for a guy my age but ‘I don’t even lift bro’ so I wouldn’t say I’m particularly strong.
DEX: 14 - I’ve always been pretty nimble and light on my feet and, if we’re going traditional d&d dex, I’m actually pretty good with a bow too!
CON: 12 - I go running a lot so my stamina isn’t bad and I’ve had a LOT of tattoos so my pain tolerance is hopefully above average. I may be reaching a bit with this one but I stand by it!
INT: 10 - No way, so this is my dump stat in real life too! I’ve never really applied myself when it comes to academia so here we are...
WIS: 14 - I’m taking this to be creative/practical intelligence as well as common sense. I’ve always done well adapting to new situations and learning practical skills on the fly and, despite what my friends would probably tell you, I have a good amount of common sense.
CHA: 11 - I’m totally an introvert and in no way intimidating but paradoxically I’m also pretty friendly and can generally get on with most people.

So, taking all that into account, I’m gonna have to say…Ranger. That fits my personality pretty well actually – I love the outdoors and, if I’m honest, I’m probably more comfortable around animals than people…

Over to you guys then.

BobZan
2018-10-23, 06:49 AM
Using the Basic Array:

the_brazenburn
2018-10-23, 06:56 AM
Str: 8 (I'd go lower, but that might stretch the limits of my ego).
Dex: 13 (among my better stats, but not my top).
Con: 11 (average).
Int: 15 (absolutely my best score, far and away).
Wis: 13 (pretty perceptive and sane)
Cha: 11 (can be persuasive but also highly introverted and a bit of an *******.)

So, that looks like pretty good Wizard, Ranger, or Rogue stats. I guess Ranger (personal preference).

WeaselGuy
2018-10-23, 06:59 AM
STR: 10 - I spent time in the Army, so my body isn't exactly weak, but injuries have limited what I can and cannot do.
DEX: 15 - For a big guy, I'm actually pretty agile. I'm competitive in rapier fencing tournaments, and have been complimented on my footwork many times.
CON: 12 - I have 6 tattoos, and have survived through a number of injuries. I don't run any more (see above, re: Army) but I do have a 2yr old, so sleep is generally optional for me.
INT: 14 - I was top of my class in an extremely technical field (broadcast engineering) and have a number of IT certifications. Int is definitely not a dump stat for me.
WIS: 9 - Wis on the other hand... I make bad decisions (again, see above, re: Army) and am probably more trusting of others than I should give them credit for.
CHA: 12 - I like small groups of people, and tend to make friends pretty easily. My wife seems to think I look pretty decent too, so I guess I have that going for me.

So, I guess, if I had to pick a class based on these stats, I'd probably go with a Bladesinger, or maybe an Arcane Trickster. Some sort of lightly armored dex/int gish.

GreyBlack
2018-10-23, 07:01 AM
See my sig for my stats. A quick explanation, however, is in order:

Strength: I fought in a MMA championship during college and continued martial arts up until about 2-3 years ago when real life took the wheel, but I still train enough to maintain my strength.

Dexterity: That said, I'm pretty darn clumsy at times. Gross motor control is fantastic; that said, my fine motor leaves something to be desired.

Constitution: I currently work in an ER and am exposed to all sorts of fun stuff all day long; as such, my resilience is pretty par for the course.

Intelligence: Finishing my Master's degree at the moment, with plans to go for either a second Master's or a doctorate afterwards. Current GPA is 3.9.

Wisdom: This is a tricky one for me, and honestly might be better placed as my dump stat (8). There are times that I have trouble reading other people/other people's intentions. That said, I'm also fairly perceptive, probably about as perceptive as the average person, so it's one of those +/- situations. I'm probably going to go in and revise this stat.

Charisma: I'm simultaneously pretty off-putting, but also can be the life of the party when the situation calls for it. My generally ambiverted nature can occasionally get grating, but I'm also fairly persuasive and skilled at entertainment. I call it a was and put this as my 4th stat.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-10-23, 07:05 AM
Oh, I know exactly what I am. Half-Elf Lore Bard.

STR-7 (Dump stat! Ich bin sehr schwache.)
DEX-11 (Not particularly nimble, but I can it a target with a basic bow and arrow.)
CON-13 (Years of the 5 Second Rule have upped my fortitude against disease and poison.)
INT-16 (I'm as smart as I am charming, and have always had an easy run academically.)
WIS-8 (When I'm looking for something, I inevitably miss it in one of the first places I check and someone else has to find it for me. I'm terrible at looking for small details.)
CHA-16 (I'm pretty charismatic and most people like me.)

(I know this isn't standard array, they reflect me more accurately this way. Standard array would be Int, Cha, Con, Dex, Str, Wis.)

Zergh
2018-10-23, 07:06 AM
STR: 10 (pretty average, if not lower)
DEX: 9 (clumsy, things are always falling from my hands)
CON: 10 (I'm pretty thin so, there's that)
INT: 12 (being pretty handy here, but from time to time i can connect few things together)
WIS: 8 (too much of a daydreamer, spot and listen are no-go)
CHA: 8 (introvert, mumbling)

So, i guess I would be commoner, and ****ty at that too.

Would dream of becoming druid, but...but...

JackPhoenix
2018-10-23, 07:08 AM
10's all across the board. I'm a commoner, and I'm not falling into the trap of putting my mental stats high because I have inflated opinion of my own genius.

nickl_2000
2018-10-23, 07:15 AM
Strength: 10 - I'm working on this, but it is slow going (and my job involves sitting in front of a computer all day). So, I would say I'm pretty average here
Dexterity: 13 - I've got good reactions, spent time in college doing rapier/dagger fighting with SCA and sabre fencing in college fencing club
Constitution: 11 - Good disease resistance due to children exposing me to everything
Intelligence: 14 - I'm an intelligent guy in general, I pick up on concepts easily and can communicate well with others. It would be higher, but my short term memory is horrible.
Wisdom: 15 - I can read people extremely well, I always notice when my wife gets a hair cut, and I can handle most situations.
Charisma: 11 - I get along with people well, but don't light up a room when I enter. I like being around people, but certainly am not a social butterfly.

Given a choice of a class in D&D, Knowledge Cleric would likely be the most appropriate. I spent a year in a seminary and was close to becoming a priest, so that would work out well for me. Also, my knowledge is varied in general.

EggKookoo
2018-10-23, 07:22 AM
STR: 13
Or so. I'm above average. I'm a hybrid endo and mesomorph. If I exercise, I become bulky and muscular, but if I'm sedentary I'll put on fat. I'm pretty accustomed to moving heavy things around as part of taking care of my house and yard.

DEX: 10
I think I'm pretty average. I have decent (possibly above-average) hand/eye coordination, and I sculpt and draw so I have good fine motor control. But I have lousy aim and my sense of balance is nothing to write home about. I'm about as fluid and graceful as a hippo.

CON: 15
I think. Possibly higher. I rarely get sick, and when I do it doesn't linger. I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I'm a lightweight now because I don't really drink, but back in my 20s I could put it away like a sailor, and I'm pretty sure I could get back there if I didn't mind what it did to my body.

INT: 14
I'm putting myself high-average as I'm a techie, and in D&D INT is largely a measure of accumulated knowledge. Like many of us I'm sure, I tend to acquire lots of trivia and factoids. People at work refer to me as the "genius" but that's just hyperbole. I'm no more creatively brilliant than anyone I work with but I do have a passion for what I do that can make it appear that I am. I did test with an exceptional IQ as a teenager but I never know how accurate or relevant that kind of thing is.

WIS: 8
I'm probably being generous here. I'm pretty oblivious. Partly the fallout of being an ADD kid and having that whatever-it-is where I'm so easily distracted I've developed a kind of coping mechanism where I ignore almost everything around me. It's to the point where I can carry on a conversation with someone and totally not remember it later because I was only superficially paying attention. I do feel like I have a halfway decent BS meter and I can find logic flaws in arguments. At the same time, it took me years to build up proper economic habits and not be constantly fighting off credit card debt.

CHA: 8 or 18
CHA is weird. Based on some descriptions in 5e, it's a measure of your sense of self -- how much of an individual you see yourself as. I'm a pretty strong introvert; borderline Asperger (or maybe not so borderline). I'm pretty stubborn. In some senses that would mean a high CHA. On the other hand, social interaction doesn't come naturally to me. I've lived long enough to develop some workable habits but I definitely sense people aren't quite at ease with me in social settings (see WIS above). So I'm not sure how to rate myself here. I feel like I could tell a good joke at a party, but I don't have the social intuition that tells me if people aren't just laughing to be polite.

Edit: Oh, class, right. Probably some flavor of Wizard for the INT, or Barbarian or Champion Fighter for the CON and a STR I'd have to build up as I leveled. Or maybe Eldritch Knight to combine them.

EggKookoo
2018-10-23, 07:28 AM
10's all across the board. I'm a commoner, and I'm not falling into the trap of putting my mental stats high because I have inflated opinion of my own genius.

Paradoxically, wouldn't that grant you an above average WIS?

No brains
2018-10-23, 07:32 AM
I wish nonabilities were still a thing. Most days I feel like a Ghost Brute-Shrieker with that template that takes away either wis or cha. Whichever one I've got left is ****.

Naanomi
2018-10-23, 07:40 AM
I’m assuming the standard array represents standard adventurers, not standard people... given that I’d say my stats are:

9 strength (was higher before spinal surgery)
8 dexterity (notably clumsy, get hit a lot)
12 constitution (I get hit for a living much of the time but don’t miss work)
13 intelligence (based on tested IQ as a child, and completion of multiple post-graduate degrees)
10 Wisdom (I’m more of an ‘investigation’ kind of perceptive, but no glaring deficits)
10 charisma (I teach kids and adults failry successfully, but otherwise no glaring social presence or deficits)

I’d say I’m proficient in...
Athletics (only the grappling parts)
Arcana (or ‘science’ as we call it in the modern world)
Investigation
Perception
Insight
Medicine (maybe)
Performance (lecture/teaching)
Persuasion (maybe)

So... I’m a variant human who took the Skilled feat maybe?

Davehotep
2018-10-23, 07:59 AM
I’m assuming the standard array represents standard adventurers, not standard people... given that I’d say my stats are:

That's pretty much what I was thinking, I was just applying figures that I thought represented me best. Not that using the standard array is wrong, far from it - whatever floats that poster's boat I say.

I have to say I'm enjoying the responses to this thread so far, I like that I'm getting to know little bits about you guys through the reasoning behind your stats.

So, i guess I would be commoner, and ****ty at that too.

Would dream of becoming druid, but...but...

Zergh, I got faith in you man - you WILL be a druid!

GreyBlack
2018-10-23, 08:15 AM
Oh, I didn't realize we were supposed to put a class in! So then, given my stats.... yeah, there's literally no 5e class that mechanically would work. I normally go to the Pathfinder Magus as my class, but if we're sticking to 5e, then probably some variant of Fighter/Wizard. I'm probably pretty well multiclassed here, probably Fighter 3/Wizard 1, or just straight up Eldritch Knight 4.

Aaron Underhand
2018-10-23, 08:36 AM
What life gave me near as I can figure it:

Str 8
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 18
Wis 12. This I've worked on!
Cha 10

nickl_2000
2018-10-23, 08:39 AM
Wis 12. This I've worked on!

So you have made it to at least level 4 then to get an ASI :smallbiggrin:

PeteNutButter
2018-10-23, 11:56 AM
These threads are always fun. I feel the stats people give are a measure of their own stats, but not how they think. If you have an inflated ego, you might give higher stats than you should have, but since ego is part of cha in 5e, then you might have at least a decent cha. If you have a high wisdom, you'll probably rate your stats lower as a high wisdom character would know that even if they are the smartest person in their circle they are quite likely a big fish in a small pond.

With that in mind to demonstrate my own inflated ego as well as my terrible wisdom I'd say I have:
Str: 18
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 18
Wis: 7
Cha: 18

:smallbiggrin:

To be real though let's break it down.

Str, Dex, and Con: I don't think people realize how mutable these stats are. Unless you are either incredibly overweight or have a debilitation of some sort you can probably get all of these up to at least a 12-14 in one to three months if worked at. If you're older, naturally it's much harder, but a healthy lifestyle and workout regimen can do wonders. With that in mind if you suddenly got transported to a D&D world and were forced to adventure, you'd probably take a renewed interest in your physical fitness. In modern society these things are often for the health-minded or vain, but in the D&D world it's just practical to be in good physical shape if you want to adventure.

Int: This is an interesting one. I'd certainly argue that D&D samples for a slightly higher than average int score compared to the general population. An average D&D player probably has an 11-12 int. I've seen a few dumb ones, but most players tend to have a higher int. It's the nature of the PnP hobby. All in all this isn't that mutable. You pretty much get what you're born with. You can work at it to know more, but you'll never actually be able to learn new things any faster. You actually get dumber over time, but learn more to make up for it. Physical fitness actually helps prevent IQ degeneration over time.

Wis: This one tends to increase with age, but can be altered with behavior. Some of this is ingrained personality and requires a ton of work to increase. Naturally impulsive people that are prone to addiction and other impulses can have a hell of a time breaking out of that.

Cha: Another rather mutable one. You can get much better at this, but you'll most likely never be as good as a natural. Experience is the big divider here. If you get a lot of social, leadership, or speaking time this can develop rapidly.

In general most of the stats are mutable. If you are below average you can probably get up to average or slightly better with practice. Increasing from 14-18 on the other hand is much much harder and will likely require some natural talent.

MThurston
2018-10-23, 12:19 PM
This is for my best time in life. As any character adventuring would be.

Str: 13
Dex: 15
Con:15
Int: 14
Wis: 14
Cha: 13

I would pick Fighter or Cleric.

Aaron Underhand
2018-10-23, 01:00 PM
So you have made it to at least level 4 then to get an ASI :smallbiggrin:

Lol, level 8 it started at 8...

Though actually it's probably just age.. strange how much mature wisdom resembles just being too tired to care....

nickl_2000
2018-10-23, 01:09 PM
Though actually it's probably just age.. strange how much mature wisdom resembles just being too tired to care....

So you are living in the old editions of D&D where as you get older your mental stats increase?

dmteeter
2018-10-23, 01:26 PM
Str-12 ( Have been an athlete my whole life between football and boxing i have done quite a bit of strength training)
Dex-14 ( Threw javelin in high school, Hunted archery my entire life, Have always been nimble and have great hand eye coordination)
Con-12 (regularly go to the gym in good cardio health, Have a high threshold for pain tolerance 57 broken bones, 11 sets of stitches, a dozen tattoos.)
Int-10 (Smart enough to graduate high school and go to college but that is about it)
Wis-6 ( I am only one "I bet you can't..........." away from making a terrible decision)
Cha-14 ( I have been a salesman for most of my adult life currently working for mack/volvo, Have always been great with people and i'm not half bad looking if i do say so myself)

As for a class i'd probably say champion fighter or barbarian " If at first i don't succeed I'll just hit it harder".

Slipperychicken
2018-10-23, 01:30 PM
Str: 14 (open pickle-jars, carry heavy things, curl ~50lbs)
Dex: 7 (can't throw for my life, but only fall over sometimes)
Con: 15 (almost never sick, never broke a bone or been hospitalized, 200 jumping jacks in a row, cardio otherwise lacking)
Int: 16 (elite school, high marks, solid IQ, high-quality tech job)
Wis: 6 (human doormat, oblivious, can't say 'no')
Cha: 8 (not very convincing in person, can't hide emotions)

INT can be translated to IQ pretty easily, since both rely on bell-shaped curves. Link (http://simantics.blogspot.com/2011/01/d-and-iq.html)
INT | IQ
3 | 57
4 | 66
5 | 72
6 | 78
7 | 83
8 | 88
9 | 93
10 | 98
11 | 102
12 | 107
13 | 112
14 | 117
15 | 122
16 | 128
17 | 134
18 | 143

Regarding WIS, I prefer systems where willpower, emotional intelligence/awareness, and perception are separate

Banana3lf
2018-10-23, 01:36 PM
Str: 8....lets be honest, the ability to lift my childre does not mean that Im physically fit. If anything the fact that I have never worked out means this is a dump stat.
Dex: 13. I can play musical insturments and shoot the bullseye at 60' with a bow most of the time. If anything real life stats boil down to proficiencies more than stats.
Con: 8....sick a lot even though I eat right. No sleep [thanks kids] and no fortitude when it comes to running. I hate running. Cant hold my breath worth crap and if you punch me? I will go down.
Int: 13. Able to percieve and comprehend things like physics and calculus without the need for acting like I know more than I do but schoolastically never been one to be more than the "lets write the paper 45 mins before class and still get a B" type.
Wis: 10. I understand people. Insight is a proficiency, but perception is crap. Nat 1's all day long.
Cha: 15. The only thing I have ever applied myself to religiously. Acting and doing characters is the way I skirt by in dnd and life. If your the same you know the pain of always knowing the end of a conversation before it starts...but not being an *ole about it and instead playing along to maintain the relationship

hymer
2018-10-23, 01:40 PM
10-11 = your average Joe, not good, not bad, just meh. 12-13 = you’ve put some time and effort into this and seen some real improvement. 14-15 = This is a strength for you, either through training or natural ability, you excel in this area. 16-17 = You pretty much need to be Albert Einstein, Terry Crews or Arnold Schwarzenegger to justify this. 18+ = nope, just nope. You can go lower than 10 if you want but why on Earth would you wanna do that?!

Str 11-12: Naturally endowed with broad shoulders, barrel chest, and thick bones. But my upper body gets worked on mostly when I hoover, feed the birds, or do gardening.
Dex 8-9: I have pretty good balance, but my reaction time is nothing to brag about, and my hands a tad shaky.
Con 12. I'm rarely sick, I cycle and walk about a lot, but I do have to watch my blood pressure and weight.
Int 13-14. Used to being the smartest kid in class, I look stuff up a lot, I read a lot, and I'm curious about most things in life. Definitely my strong suit.
Wis 8. I'm bad with social cues (except for what I've managed to load onto Int), and I have poor eyesight. I think that outweighs my keen hearing and stubborn streak.
Cha 6-15. I have no idea, it definitely seems to be changing regularly. Some days, I'm the life of the party, and I write well enough to give people goosebumps, or so I'm told. At other times, I just pull inside myself and would very much rather not bother with other people at all. Some days I'm meek and willing, and others I'm stubborn and fierce.

Mad Max
2018-10-23, 01:50 PM
Time to test my ego/self esteem issues!

Str 11: I've got a pretty small frame, and I rarely lift weights, so my physical strength isn't substantial.
Dex 14: I take dance classes and can do some flips, and I'm pretty proud of my manual dexterity.
Con 11: I can exercise without issue, and I don't get sick for very long, but I'm not very tough, so I'm ok at 11.
Int 14: I do pretty well in school, and I'm good at puzzles/problem solving.
Wis 15: I notice things pretty easily, and my gut feelings are pretty trustworthy, so I'd say this is one of my strengths.
Cha 14: People seem to like me, although I can't figure out why! Small talk isn't hard for me, and I also enjoy playing music, and I'm decent at it.

I'd say a Bard. I love music and telling stories, and d8 hit dice just feels right.

DMThac0
2018-10-23, 01:50 PM
Str: 11 (I'm slight of build but for my size I have been told I'm better than avg.)
Dex: 14 (20 yrs martial arts, I'm pretty darn nimble)
Con: 12 (I'm a hardy one, never broken anything, rarely sick, spent years homeless, martial arts...)
Int: 16 (using the IQ chart provided earlier, was in the top 2% of the nation for SAT scores, conversed with MENSA a few times)
Wis: 12 (Based on being the go to guy for advice and able to find things pretty darn easily)
Cha: 13 (I'm pretty well liked by most people, but I'm introverted)

Class? Wizard/Monk probably one of those two, or a fun cross class that I haven't decided to build yet ;)

alchahest
2018-10-23, 02:00 PM
10s across the board, I'm not appreciably better at anything than the average human. even a 12 denotes someone at the top end of the median, and online IQ tests etc only factor in how good one is at online IQ tests. Charisma is incredibly subjective, wisdom is hard to quantify, and the physical stats are basically "are you an olympic athlete or do you suffer from something that reduces your mobility/strength/endurance? no? then you're average"

I can read and type really fast, and am skilled with hand and power tools, though that's better reflected in skills than attributes. I think I definitely have the bugbear's racial feat Well-Rested from the expanded Xanathar's races feats on beyond. I can and will nap anywhere. I'm really good at it.

I am terrible with a bow and arrow... and fairly untested with pretty much every melee option. so 10s across the board, well rested, and I don't know, level one rogue class (sneak attack in this case reflecting dumb luck rather than prowess)

2D8HP
2018-10-23, 02:16 PM
My best guesses for 'stats':

Strength: 8 - While I still do heavy lifting from time to time, I'm over the hill and can't sustain it without back pain

Dexterity: 9 - Slower than I used to be

Constitution: 11 - I'm still breathing.

Intelligence: 8 - I'm slow at learning new things.

Wisdom: 8 - I'm kinda oblivious.

Charisma: 10 - I'm pretty average there.

Class?

Um...

For my employer Lankhmar (A.K.A. The City and County of San Francisco)

I have:

Gone on quests (searched for any remaining intact plumbing under the piers),

Explored ruins (the former Naval base, shipyards, and let's face it most of the rest of the buildings are "well used")

Seeking treasure (look for plumbing fixtures to steal/salvage from the abandoned 6th floor Jail, for use on the 7th floor Jail).

Also, I've encountered monsters (had Sea Lions surface next to me under the piers, one seemed to be the size of a VW Microbus!, plus... well the inmates), crawled through underground tunnels, entered crypts (I've had many jobs in the autopsy room), looted dark passageways (the Jail cell plumbing chases looking for parts to use for the occupied cells), and I'm a Guild member (Plumbers and Steamfitters, Local 38!).

Seems that I'm a dungeon delving Guild Thief (I hope Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser don't slay me :smalleek:)!

Dudewithknives
2018-10-23, 02:26 PM
I am not even close to beaing in as good of a shape as I was in my 20s:

Str: 10 I am pretty strong I guess but not nearly like someone who goes to the gym all the time or anything

Dex: 10 I would be trained in some dex skills but my base agility is not great anymore, multiple kids and bad habbits and all.

Con: ? This one is a tough one, I almost never get sick, I can take a massive amount of punishment compared to normal people but my stamina is garbage. Probablyjust a large HD and trained in the save.

Int: 16+ I have 2 masters degrees and love to learn new things all the time.

Wis: 14 I am very observant, I make good decisions most of the time and I am good at picking up on clues and things.

Cha: less than 8. I would be trained in some social skills but I suck at being social. I just don't care if I offend people. If I am at work I am nice and friendly, if not I am a total jerk.

Class wise I would be the worst combination of stats immaginable:

I am far to self controled to ever be a barbarian.
I have no musical or performance skills in the least so bard is out.
I have never cared much for nature or being out in it, so no Druid or Ranger.
I am smart but I would never trust the concept of relying on magic so no Wizard.
I am far to anti-social and a jerk to be anything charisma based.

If warlock could be based on INT, I could see me being one of those very easily.

As it stands, i would be a crappy stated monk probably.
I have been in martial arts most of my life, and I would hate the restrictions of armor or relying on weapons.

I would not last a week in the world of DND as an adventurer, however as a merchant/guildmaster/or other non-adventuring type, I could hang with that.

gloryblaze
2018-10-23, 02:28 PM
Str: 8
Dex: 8
Con: 8

In terms of physical stats, I don't work out and i can't run very fast or for very long without getting winded, so below average Str and Con. I also don't have the best reaction time, and I was never good at dodgeball, so my low AC probably puts my Dex at 8 too. I probably have proficiency in Dexterity (Sleight of Hand), though, because I have become moderately proficient at certain competitive video games and close-up card and coin magic, although I am a natural at neither and must practice frequently.

Int: 12
Wis: 10
Cha: 13

In terms of mental stats, I was my high school valedictorian and 98th percentile in standardized testing (I took the SAT and ACT), and I'm attending a top 20 university in the US. But I'm nowhere near the smartest person in my peer group at uni, and I didn't even get in to the more prestigious schools I applied to, like Princeton or Stanford. So I'd put Int at 12 - above average, but not spectacular.

Wis is average - I rarely make decisions I would call poor, and I find it relatively easy to resist temptations (I don't drink or use drugs, even on a college campus, for instance), but I'm not the most perceptive and I'm easily distracted. I'm also OK but not amazing with animals - I can ride a horse, dogs tend to like me, cats tend to not. I might or might not have any of the following: Insight proficiency, Medicine proficiency, Survival proficiency. A lot of my personal skillset is based around persuading people (more on that later), and a big part of that is reading people. I'm CPR certified and have first aid training. I regularly camp and hike and I know my way around a map and orienteering compass, and I have basic wilderness survival and emergency preparedness training.

Cha is my strong suit - I have always excelled at writing and public speaking, and I'm regularly told that I'm persuasive and good at arguing. I'm a law student and have been participating in trial advocacy programs (such as mock trial, for those of you who are familiar with that) since high school. I also have a pretty big ego and I tend to think I'm great at most things. I probably have Persuasion and maybe Deception or Performance proficiencies, but not Intimidation.

As for class, I want to be a lawyer in real life, so that obviously means I'd be a warlock if I got dumped into a dnd world.

Rotsu
2018-10-23, 02:38 PM
I imagine that my stats are pretty black and white. Something like...

12 Strength - I don't exercise, but am naturally stronger than people who do work out some, I regularly find I can lift more/drag more than others, though I attribute this to my leverage, I am rather tall. I can't grapple or such though. People assure me, I am strong. I'm not so sure.

14 Dex - I was the kid who was picked on so I learned to run, hide and generally be quick quiet and I'm a good shot with any weapon I've picked up, from throwing daggers to bows to pistols.

14 Con - I run, regularly. My job is basically long distance carrying of supplies from point A->B back and forth. According to my watch I walk/run 15+ miles a day, and as the kid who was picked on... well some of us know what that can be like.

8 Int. I do not learn quickly. I have to read things slowly and carefully to understand. I have to take prodigious notes to remember a lecture. I was told I could do better as a student. I tried and honestly I didn't have the time to do the homework, my brain was too slow to work through the pages of problems. I enjoy reading, or this would be lower.

14 Wis. Often told I am incredibly deep, or eccentric. People often ask me questions about random things, and I often have answers. My slower learning speed has lead to me reading (slowly, and the reference documents) many random pieces of literature, essays and such. Once I know something I don't forget.

8 Charisma. I am not a people person very much. I understand people need to be treated well, and do so. Other than the very basics people are confusing. I just treat everyone like a queen/king unless they ask for otherwise. And they have to ask (read beat me over the head with it) many times.

All in all, I prefer to be left to my "Hey you carry this over there" life. Just give me simple instructions that any old Physical / Athletic type can do and I'll do it gleefully. If it gets more complicated than three steps, I'll need you to write it down, or I will, myself write it down. I will get lost. And I'll need clarification. Thank the lord for google. I would be 8 in all mental stats without it.

Ganymede
2018-10-23, 02:41 PM
How does being able to dumb bell press 220 lbs translate into a strength score?

Mana Opal
2018-10-23, 02:41 PM
Well, let's see how accurate i can get this, eh?

STR: 9/10- I'm not exactly weak per se, but I'm fairly certain that being able to pick up ~50 lbs. boxes and carry them 20 yards away isn't exactly all that impressive a feat. Nine year old me couldn't even carry a 2 pound jug of apple juice three inches, though, so I'd say I've made some solid progress over the years!

DEX 10/11- I'm pretty flexible throughout most of my body and agile, and pretty handy in a two-sword style (I really don't like shields, okay?), but... precision hasn't always been my strong suite, if I'm not already in motion, then my reflexes are atrocious, what even is typing, and I'm fairly certain everything I do with this stat is hampered by one especially horrible one down below. You'll know it when you see it.

CON: 10/11- I'm rarely sick, and whenever I do get ill, it very rarely lasts for more than a day. That said, I'm fairly certain I have a really bad alcohol tolerance. Yeah. Definitely a hamper to even contemplating putting this any higher.

INT: 12/13- Sure, IQ isn't exactly the most accurate scale, but a 114 on it is still pretty high up there in comparison to the average person. At least, I count myself as one of the few people who finished reading Magic of Incarnum the first time with a solid grasp of how it's supposed to work and not even the slightest hint of a headache, so that's gotta account to something. That said, I am far from the smartest person I know, and being able to pick up information easily doesn't mean you can necessarily use it effectively. Always something to keep in mind, I believe.

WIS: 7/8- Let's see here...
>Absolutely horrendous eyesight
>Even worse sense of smell
>Male pattern blindness
>Poor ability to pick up on social cues
>Occasional inability to put two and two together
>Bad at estimations, either spatial or temporal
>Indecisiveness is a frequent hindrance of mine (though I'm much better here than I used to be)
>Daydreaming is a frequent pastime
And really, I have no earthly idea how the heck I'm supposed to determine if I'm even sane or not? That just feels so dang subjective to me, I don't think I can even use it here! So yeah, Wisdom is my one true dump stat, and boy does that get in the way of a lot of things.

CHA: 11/12- I'm generally well liked, and bring smiles to peoples faces when I put in the effort to make my presence known- provided, of course, that I'm not in the middle of an episode of depression. It is important to remember that Charisma isn't just your social standing, likability, and possible musical skills- it's also tied to the force of your personality, or how strongly your presence is felt. And I've found that I get a lot of attention when my mood's down in the dumps... I don't like it, others don't like it, but it's a thing that technically qualifies, so take it as you will, I guess.

Statistically, it seems like I'm best fit for being a wizard. I wasn't remotely happy in school, sure, but America's education system's been terribad for a long while and public institutions aren't the only way one can take up studying- reading entire DnD sourcebooks in your free time certainly counts, though. That's not to say that that's all I do- far from it- but it's a fine example of being studious while kicking the institution to the curb, so... it'll have to do, I guess!

Willie the Duck
2018-10-23, 02:56 PM
These threads are always fun. I feel the stats people give are a measure of their own stats, but not how they think.

I don't know. Part of me wants to chortle at how 90% of a board thinks they are in the top 1% of whatever they are proud of (and feel the need to pronounce it where no one can check). OTOH, it also feels like laughing down.

I think a much more useful thing would be to simply have people order their stats. So someone might be Int>Con>Cha>Wis>Dex>Str. That removes the pissing-contest nature of the thing.

If you have an inflated ego, you might give higher stats than you should have, but since ego is part of cha in 5e, then you might have at least a decent cha. If you have a high wisdom, you'll probably rate your stats lower as a high wisdom character would know that even if they are the smartest person in their circle they are quite likely a big fish in a small pond.

I'd like to think that self-awareness might be my strength. I know there's some theoretical person out there who is better than me-the version of my without the grade 3 mTBI. However, even that--it doesn't really tell me anything about the rest of my potential wisdom score. I mean, my willpower and perception qualities are in reality quite unrelated to that. That's the problem I find with applying D&D attributes to real life. Attributes are gamist collections of traits used to inform gamist qualities for gamist purposes. And the relation between them (like being able to have Str, Dex, and Con completely unrelated to each other) is more about thematic role filling than realism.

PeteNutButter
2018-10-23, 03:10 PM
I don't know. Part of me wants to chortle at how 90% of a board thinks they are in the top 1% of whatever they are proud of (and feel the need to pronounce it where no one can check). OTOH, it also feels like laughing down.

I think a much more useful thing would be to simply have people order their stats. So someone might be Int>Con>Cha>Wis>Dex>Str. That removes the pissing-contest nature of the thing.

That's a good point, but it doesn't necessarily show the breadth of difference or how big the gap is. How about this:

Using point buy, what stats most closely represent you?

I'd have to go with something like 14, 12, 14, 14, 9, 16 (non-variant human). I can justify any unreasonably high stats as being somewhere I had to throw points (and are areas where I am relatively better than the others), but make no claims to be in any top percentiles.

Mana Opal
2018-10-23, 03:28 PM
That's a good point, but it doesn't necessarily show the breadth of difference or how big the gap is. How about this:

Using point buy, what stats most closely represent you?

I'd have to go with something like 14, 12, 14, 14, 9, 16 (non-variant human). I can justify any unreasonably high stats as being somewhere I had to throw points (and are areas where I am relatively better than the others), but make no claims to be in any top percentiles.

...Is there a 21 point buy system? 'Cuz I just put in the high end for every stat I had in my earlier post and still have 6 points left over, not counting potential Racials...

Gustaff
2018-10-23, 04:00 PM
Using the Standard Array, I'd say...

Str 14 - My deadlift record is 315 lbs.

Dex 12 - I've got good reflexes and practiced martial arts for a few years.

Cons 10 - I have Crohn's disease and, although I can perform on physical endurance (like running), I usually get out of breath when doing something with high intensity for long. *Maybe* I've got proficiency on Cons saves (I'm not optimized, sue me)

Int 15 - Finished my PhD in Pure Mathematics last year.

Sab 13 - I'm very precautious and often resort to my perceptions and insights about other people.

Car 8 - I never assume I'll be able to persuade other people. Even though I can lecture well and even make people laugh, that is due to practice and not spontaneity.

If I could simply give numbers, I'd say

Str 13 Dex 11 Cons 9 Int 14 Sab 12 Car 8

PeteNutButter
2018-10-23, 04:04 PM
...Is there a 21 point buy system? 'Cuz I just put in the high end for every stat I had in my earlier post and still have 6 points left over, not counting potential Racials...

That's the point. It's a method of forcing fairness, even though such fairness could never exist in the real world.

No brains
2018-10-23, 04:31 PM
If we really wanted to play with fire, we could ask posters what they think the ability scores are for other posters. That won't go wrong!:smalltongue:

GreyBlack
2018-10-23, 04:31 PM
INT can be translated to IQ pretty easily, since both rely on bell-shaped curves. Link (http://simantics.blogspot.com/2011/01/d-and-iq.html)
INT | IQ
3 | 57
4 | 66
5 | 72
6 | 78
7 | 83
8 | 88
9 | 93
10 | 98
11 | 102
12 | 107
13 | 112
14 | 117
15 | 122
16 | 128
17 | 134
18 | 143

.... huh. Guess my int is higher than 15. Well, I did get my ASI at level 4...

Unavenger
2018-10-23, 05:00 PM
INT | IQ
3 | 57
4 | 66
5 | 72
6 | 78
7 | 83
8 | 88
9 | 93
10 | 98
11 | 102
12 | 107
13 | 112
14 | 117
15 | 122
16 | 128
17 | 134
18 | 143

Yeah, this is how I work out my intelligence. As for strength, we know that in D&D 3.5 you can lift as much as your maximum load over your head (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#liftingandDragging), and in 5e you can lift up to fifteen times your strength score (http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingEachAbility.htm#carryingCapacity), so you can work it out like that. So I know I have Str 8 Int 18.

Then I have to work out my constitution based on... how long I can hold my breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#drowning)? I can hold my breath for all of 4 rounds without issue, giving me a Con of 2. I... is it normal to be able to hold your breath for two minutes, or did they done goofed there? Whatever, it seems that D&D rules can't help me with constitution. Similarly, I don't think anything is well enough tied to DEX, WIS or CHA to work them out, either... if I had to guess, I'd say DEX 10, CON 6, WIS 14, CHA 12, but I dunno.

Galithar
2018-10-23, 05:27 PM
Strength - 14
I work in a factory often swinging a 16 point sledge hammer for 6+ hours in a day. I did a stint in the Marine Corps, and during that my strength was probably 15-16 but I've got lazy since getting out.

Dexterity - 9
Though I am proficient in some Dex based skills (for example I'm a decent shot with a pistol and never shot below Expert on the rifle range when I was in) I am generally a bit of a butter fingers and slightly clumsy sometimes, enough to warrant negative modifier for sure but nothing worse then a -1.

Constitution - 13
I can take quite a beating without showing signs (beating meant literal and metaphorical) but have a relatively low immune system. Probably just a genetic weakness to disease though. :P

Intelligence - 14
I've always performed above average in school and coming up with new solutions to problems comes pretty naturally to me.

Wisdom - 10
I'm not oblivious, but I'd say my ability to pick up on things is pretty average in general. In probably proficient in perception, but unless I know exactly what I'm looking for I lose it. AKA I somehow have a negative passive perception modifier (passive perception 8 instead of 10)

Charisma - 10 or 12
10 sober. I'm pretty average on the getting along with people and convincing them off my opinion aspect of charisma.
12 drunk. I'm just the kind of guy that can make friends with anyone if I'm drunk. (This effect reverses after too many, continuing to drop until I got a solid 8)

Aaron Underhand
2018-10-23, 05:32 PM
So you are living in the old editions of D&D where as you get older your mental stats increase?

And physical stats decrease...yes

Always worth being an elf just for the lifespan..

AureusFulgens
2018-10-23, 05:56 PM
I usually figure it as:

STR = 6. If not lower; a maximum carrying capacity of 90 pounds sounds pretty optimistic to me.

DEX = 11. I'm a little lighter on my feet and better with my fingers than the average person, and I'm pretty flexible, but nothing that an actual athlete or dancer or anything would notice.

CON = 6, again if not lower. I have the endurance of a wet noodle, I get sick at the drop of a hat, and I have multiple chronic conditions. I consider myself lucky to have a positive hit point maximum.

INT = 15, based on the criteria in the OP (I don't know my IQ). I'm a competent math Ph.D. student, and my memory for factual things is excellent (though not infallible, as a couple screwed-up midterms can prove).

WIS = 12. Either that, or it's lower but I have a ton of ranks in Perception - I hear things long before most other people do. I'm fairly cautious and measured in making decisions, but nothing Gandalf-level. With that being said, I've only recently taken enough feats to overcome a heavy inborn penalty to Insight checks (Asperger's syndrome). My saving throws are all over the place, and in particular I have disadvantage versus Procrastination and Being Really Distracted.

CHA = 9. I can get along with people well enough, but I have enough foot-in-my-mouth moments that I think my score must be below average. I have a couple ranks in Performance, but a sizeable penalty to Deception incurred through having taken some sort of Vow of Honesty feat out of the Book of Exalted Deeds or something, a decision I frequently regret but seem to be stuck with. Again, it's been a substantial feat investment over the years to overcome most of the Asperger's-related skill check penalties.

I appear to be a multiclass build that involves some combination of Wizard (School of Mathematics), Cleric (Jesus, Knowledge domain), and recently Paladin (Oath of the Edgedancers, after acolyting with the Lightweavers for a while), with maybe some levels in Bard (College of Linguistics). It synergizes pretty well, at least some days.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-23, 06:11 PM
Ooo these abstracts are hard to fit sometimes. I also ordered by the standard array.

Str: 13 I'm large and I lift.
Dex: 10 yup just average
Con: 12 this is the tough one. I rarely get sick, and unfortunately I know I can take a beating, but I suck as a distance runner.
Int: 14 I always tested into the top 1%
Wis: 15 Perception and the like are probably my strongest advantages in life.
Cha: 8 I dumped this hard!

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-23, 06:15 PM
Strength 11
Dexterity 8
Constitution 12
Wisdom 8
Intelligence 13
Charisma 12

Healthy as a horse, I hardly ever get sick. Flat feet and short height mean I'm not going anywhere quickly, though. Pretty smart, pretty good with people, but I'm oblivious as hell.

Yeah, that's probably what I'd arrange my stats to be. Not anything hero worthy, we're all just commoners, after all. Maybe I could be a Wizard and try not to burn myself.

Kinda weird but sad thing I realized: Maybe we all don't get sick because we don't actually enjoy being around people. I'm noticing a decent number of high Con-low Cha characters in this forum, and it made me think of this.

pygmybatrider
2018-10-23, 06:58 PM
Kinda weird but sad thing I realized: Maybe we all don't get sick because we don't actually enjoy being around people. I'm noticing a decent number of high Con-low Cha characters in this forum, and it made me think of this.

Hahaha - this is a good point. One of my players is an iron man athlete who I’ve never seen get a cold in the 12 years I’ve known him but our dnd table is the only place I’ve seen him talk to anyone who isn’t his wife.

I think this is how I’d stat myself up:

Str - 12
Dex - 8
Con - 12
Int - 8
Wis - 8
Cha - 13

In order, it would probably be Cha>Con>Str>Int>Dex>Wis.

I’m a lifelong rugby player and lifter - so while I definitely have an above average strength score, id probably say elite athletes are between 14-16 and I’m nowhere near their
league. I am also laughably clumsy, which I think is a combination of low Dex and Wis. I’ll often lose my keys or forget where I put something down 5 minutes ago or bump into things that I shouldn’t.

12 Con comes from very rarely getting sick, having a decent physical stamina, and knowing I can take a healthy battering. On top of footy I have two big dogs who go on plenty of hill runs, hikes and beach swims, and I teach phys ed all day so am constantly outside doing physical activity while working.

Low Int score because my memory is terrible, as a lot of my posts I make on this forum when AFB have shown. I tend to pick new things up quickly, and am a creative problem solver, but organisational skills are a personal and professional weakness of mine, and if ever asked to multitask I crumble.

Charisma is easily my highest score. I have always been good with people, and my job and hobbies both involve a heap of communication, teamwork and leadership. Since meeting my wife I have also become involved in local amateur theatre and have performed in a couple of musical and stage play productions each year. Singing might still be a work in progress, but the confidence is there.... 8-)

I’m probably closest to a Valour Bard thematically/mechanically, but in reality I have absolutely no class.

Whit
2018-10-23, 07:23 PM
Str 15
Dex 11
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 14
Cha 14
Could be wrong. But i work out daily. But I’m not super strong. I do get into fights life and death so I know I have to win
I have 2 BA degrees and more of education from high school alone compared to what they teach in high school today.
I exercise, run and eat healthy mostly. And more importantly, if I get tired in a fight I die.
I know bs when I see hear it and perception is a necessity.
I’m above average in looks dated some lookers and go between quiet type to geek to flirt and be intimidating all based on how things are going.
My agility could be better but I am good with range weapons and melee. But I feel I lack in balance.
Skills I have a lot but I lack for sure in religion arcane animal handling sleight of hand performance wish I learned guitar.

kraitmarais
2018-10-23, 07:31 PM
I’m actually pretty surprised and impressed that so few people have generously given themselves stellar mental stats, which seems to be ubiquitous in these threads. 😄

But lots of folks here are using educational achievements as a proxy for intelligence, which imo has little relation. I’ve met plenty of people in prestigious professions whose reasoning skills and ability to mentally juggle many variables is extremely poor, and plenty of people with no education beyond secondary school who are far superior to myself in these things.

Arathryth
2018-10-23, 07:31 PM
STR: 18 I compete as an amateur powerlifter, current personal record is a 565lb deadlift.

DEX: 14 Army marksmanship training, and I bow hunt as a hobby.

CON: 16 I'm pretty resistant to fatigue, and have high pain tolerance. I wish it was as high as STR, but just not there yet.

INT: 12 I do have a Master's degree, but it's in Psychology, so...

WIS: 10 I joined the Army, probably not the wisest of choices.

CHA: 12 I generally have an easy time dealing with people, not a fan of public speaking though.

Class-wise, I want to say Warlock thematically, since I made a deal with a powerful entity (US Government) and in return I learned cool powers like being able to call in Artillery fire. But in reality I'm probably a Fighter.

Darth Ultron
2018-10-23, 08:53 PM
Well....

Strength 8 I'm physical Weak
Dexterity 8 I'm clumsy
Constitution 13 rarely get sick
Wisdom 15 I'm very wise
Intelligence 18 based on that chart a couple posts up...if it's accurate (I'd say 15 if I did not use the chart)
Charisma 16 I definitely have the people skills

Guess my background is Waterdhavian Noble and Folk Hero (can you have two backgrounds?)

Class: Bard, College of Satire/Wizard(lore mastery)

Laserlight
2018-10-23, 08:55 PM
STR 8 -- used to be 10-11 but I've lost some points to age
DEX 12 -- I have good balance and reflexes, good at skeet shooting, just don't ask about fine detail
CON 10 -- I seldom get sick but I certainly don't heal as fast as I did 20 years ago, much less 35 year ago. This "age" thing is really a drag
INT 15 -- IQ test scored 150, and I'm going on the basis "IQ/10=INT", partly because I don't have the chutzpah to claim I'm an 18 in anything
WIS 13 -- I have decent situational awareness, but some things ("what color was she wearing? What type of car was that?") I never notice
CHA 14 -- I'm an introvert but I'm regularly asked for leadership and I was successful in a sales-oriented career

I'm too risk averse to be a PC; I'd be a supporting character for my wife or my son.

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-24, 09:52 AM
Oh I love these discussions. Based on my friends input and what I really feel to be me, I'm either a battlemaster fighter or ranger. I love being outdoors and can brave most weather, have a knack for animals and I'm quite stealthy. On the other hand I am obsessed with medieval/renaissance weapons and armor/history. My capstone for university is on the rise of commoners and their military/social status from 1350-1550 so, battlemaster fits this well combined with my sparring and drilling with longsword and sword and shield.

That said here are my stats
Strength : 13 I put alot of time in the gym now and over a significant time I'm confident in my strength abilities but it's not my main focus in life.
Dexterity: 16 it has quite literally saved my life a few times and when I spar with my friends they tell me I'm annoyingly hard to hit
Constitution: 14 The Navy work schedule did it to me. Working 12 hours on some nasty greasy ship only for a bit of rest and back at it again, rarely sick and can take pain better than everyone in my "circle" but I dont consider myself like an ultimate tough man
Intelligence: 11 I do ok at university but if I gave a damn I could probably pull off a 12
Wisdom: 9 I really don't usually pay attention and people generally seem to have better common sense than me xD
Charisma : 12 I'm probably better than ok and in my current d&d group people generally look to me for solutions and/or something funny. But I'm not the most likeable at the table, that goes to my friend currently playing a wizard who would totally rock a sorcerer.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-24, 01:15 PM

That is an interesting correlation.

The place I work at with allows work from home one day a week, and if you look sick you will be strongly encouraged to work from home.

I don't though, because my children are little germ factories.

Edit: I'm in the IT department, so there are stereo-typically a lot of low CHA types here.

Wampyr
2018-10-24, 03:31 PM
Strength: 15
I lift everyday.
Dexterity: 9
I’m big and slow and clumsy.
Constitution:12
I rarely get sick and my pain tolerance is above average.
Intelligence: 9
I’m dumb as ****.
Wisdom: 12
I’ve got the willpower to resist eating ice cream everyday and force myself to eat some damn vegetables.
Charisma: 8
I have absolutely no social skills.

So I guess I’d make an extremely sub-par barbarian. I’ve definitely got the brains for it if not the brawn.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-24, 04:05 PM
Strength: 15
I lift everyday.
Dexterity: 9
I’m big and slow and clumsy.
Constitution:12
I rarely get sick and my pain tolerance is above average.
Intelligence: 9
I’m dumb as ****.
Wisdom: 12
I’ve got the willpower to resist eating ice cream everyday and force myself to eat some damn vegetables.
Charisma: 8
I have absolutely no social skills.

So I guess I’d make an extremely sub-par barbarian. I’ve definitely got the brains for it if not the brawn.

Solid Strength Fighter though.

CaptainMendax
2018-10-24, 04:16 PM
Strength: 8 - I'm incredibly skinny and underweight. On the BMI I'm actually classified as malnourished (I'm okay, I'm seeing a doctor about it). I'm stronger than I look, but I also look like I couldn't stand up to a strong wind.

Dexterity: 13 - I'm actually fairly fast, and I tend to stay on my feet pretty well. Might've been higher when I was still fencing, I seemed to get a lot of comments on my reflexes.

Constitution: 10 - See strength above. The only reason I made it higher was because I'm actually pretty resilient to disease, especially food-borne disease.

Intelligence: 12 - I have a Master's degree, but I feel weird trying to say "I'm a straight-up genius." Maybe smarter than average, but certainly not a wizard if I were a D&D character.

Wisdom: 7 - I'm lost in my head most times, I over-complicate things, and I'm *this* close to being legally blind. My girlfriend has many comments on my levels of common sense.

Charisma: 14 - I'm a musician, and a paid one at that, so I at least have some level of stage presence. I'm also a middle school teacher making 7th and 8th graders do what I say, so I have to be at least somewhat persuasive.

...I guess I could be a somewhat crappy bard.

CTurbo
2018-10-24, 04:58 PM
I always feel arrogant when I try to stat myself, but I've been consistently told that I'm extremely well rounded, and I know I definitely don't have any obvious weaknesses.

Str - 14-15. I have a large build and have worked out on and off throughout my entire adult life. I'm most definitely stronger than your average adult male, but I am no body builder.
Dex - 16-18. I have always been really light on my feet. I am very agile and coordinated. I played baseball, football, and basketball and was better than average at all three. I'm also great at most other lesser sports like pool, ping pong, bowling, archery, etc...
Con - 14. This one is tough. I WAS sickly as a child, but not at all since I've been an adult. I have a really high pain tolerance and incredibly high endurance. 14 is reasonable I think.
Int - 17 according to the graph above. I always made good grades, was always in AP classes, have 5 years of college, problem solving is a strength, and I still love learning new things...
Wis - 14-16. I have ALMOST always been a really good decision maker, and have always been the person my friends and family come to for advice. I am also very perceptive.
Cha - 16-18. Despite only being average looking, charisma is possibly my biggest strength. I've always been popular, successful with women, usually the center of attention when I want to be, and just generally funny.

I think I'd be a Valor or Swords Bard. Definitely a Jack of All Trades. I could see being a 5e Paladin too.

Anyway, I am not without flaws obviously, they just don't show up in those broad stats.

EDIT: since those stats look so ridiculous, I'm gonna go lower end of each for my final answer

Str - 15
Dex - 16
Con - 14
Int - 15
Wis - 14
Cha - 16

TWrecks
2018-10-24, 05:28 PM
Str - 12 (lift 3-5x a week but it's not like I'm in overeating / powerlifting mode)
Dex - 14 (was running a 4.4 40 meters in high school and played bunch of sports etc... can still catch whatever is up in the air most of the time)
Con - 11 (not a big endurance dude but don't get sick that often)
Int - 12 (average college grad IQ nothing too spectacular here)
Wis - 16(Seeing the big picture and having perspective is what I do)
Cha - 12(In good shape with decent looks and a passable personality lol... If anything I'd fall a little under the blunt / direct Dwarf category and not really having time for BS).

/shrug

Solusek
2018-10-24, 05:54 PM
TBH, I feel like a lot of people here underestimate their scores quite a bit.

Using 3d6 as the standard "non-hero" stat roll (4d6 drop lowest would be for heroes), it gives 9% of the population a score of 15 or higher in any particular stat, and something like 42% of people will have a 15 or higher in at least one of their 6 stats.

If you used to take martial arts and everyone in class complimented you on your reflexes but then you give yourself a dex of only 13 that is probably selling yourself short. In a class of 20 people it's very likely at least two there will have 15's or higher in their dex score just through random distribution. But then if you account for people with higher dex tending to be the people who go into martial arts it should be even higher (and those with naturally poor dex would avoid martial arts) - then among those people they are complimenting *you* on how quick you are... Sounds to me like you have a 14-15 dex at the very least.

Many similar examples I am seeing with all kinds of stats here.

An 8 stat puts you in the bottom 25% of the population. An 11 stat is perfectly in the middle of the bell curve. A 13 puts you in the top 25%. A 15 puts you in the top 9%. It's not at all unreasonable to see multiple 15-17 stats show up among a population as big as this forum. Maybe even a few 18's.

Naanomi
2018-10-24, 06:09 PM
I don’t assume the 3d6 represents average people, even basic rolled stats are intended to be ‘heroes’... which most forum goers presumably are not

Akolyte01
2018-10-24, 07:24 PM
STR: 11 - I'm average or so for a man my age, but that puts me well above average compared to the general population so IDK how to rate this
DEX: 13 - Pretty light on my feet. Good at dancing, and at agility based sports like skiing.
CON: 12 - Not great, but I ran cross country, and despite being terrible at offense in wrestling, I was very good at just resisting being pinned
INT: 16 - I have consistently scored in the 99th percentile for standardized testing and other numeric assessments of intelligence. I have a very specific and limited kind of intelligence, but I think it lines up well with what "int" represent.
WIS: 8 - I have terrible common sense. I am terrible at perceiving things socially. I am supremely absent minded. I miss things that are right in front of my face. I lose things constantly.
CHA: 10 - I'm not completely socially inept, but I am bad at a couple normal things like eye contact etc. I am a good performer and public speaker though so maybe should be higher?

Willie the Duck
2018-10-24, 08:07 PM
TBH, I feel like a lot of people here underestimate their scores quite a bit.

Using 3d6 as the standard "non-hero" stat roll (4d6 drop lowest would be for heroes), it gives 9% of the population a score of 15 or higher in any particular stat, and something like 42% of people will have a 15 or higher in at least one of their 6 stats.

Right, but that assumes 3d6. Unless we know a determination method, we can't use percentages to define the stats. The OP set forth a rubric, one with 16+ to be a level that is highly doubtful for anyone here (you are really a "Albert Einstein, Terry Crews or Arnold Schwarzenegger" or equivalent? Really?).

Which I feel leads back to my point--D&D stats don't translate directly to real world characteristics in any really mutually-agreed-upon way, so we're just assigning arbitrary on top of arbitrary with a heaping helping of arbitrary on the side.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 08:14 PM
.... we're just assigning arbitrary on top of arbitrary with a heaping helping of arbitrary on the side.
So why try to rain on the parade and call someone out for their personally assigned stats? How do you actually know that you aren't responding to someone who legitimately is a body building world renowned scientist with a Nobel Peace prize, runs multiple marathons a year, is an absolute Ace at finding Waldo and can lift your watch without you noticing?

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-24, 08:55 PM
STR: 11 - I'm average or so for a man my age, but that puts me well above average compared to the general population so IDK how to rate this
DEX: 13 - Pretty light on my feet. Good at dancing, and at agility based sports like skiing.
CON: 12 - Not great, but I ran cross country, and despite being terrible at offense in wrestling, I was very good at just resisting being pinned
INT: 16 - I have consistently scored in the 99th percentile for standardized testing and other numeric assessments of intelligence. I have a very specific and limited kind of intelligence, but I think it lines up well with what "int" represent.
WIS: 8 - I have terrible common sense. I am terrible at perceiving things socially. I am supremely absent minded. I miss things that are right in front of my face. I lose things constantly.
CHA: 10 - I'm not completely socially inept, but I am bad at a couple normal things like eye contact etc. I am a good performer and public speaker though so maybe should be higher?

Yea being a good performer/public speaker I'd atleast say you're a 12.

Arathryth
2018-10-24, 11:03 PM
Right, but that assumes 3d6. Unless we know a determination method, we can't use percentages to define the stats. The OP set forth a rubric, one with 16+ to be a level that is highly doubtful for anyone here (you are really a "Albert Einstein, Terry Crews or Arnold Schwarzenegger" or equivalent? Really?).

Which I feel leads back to my point--D&D stats don't translate directly to real world characteristics in any really mutually-agreed-upon way, so we're just assigning arbitrary on top of arbitrary with a heaping helping of arbitrary on the side.

I would agree with this as far as DEX, CON, WIS, and CHA are concerned. However, the PHB has an explicit table that defines maximum amount of weight that can be lifted off the ground (ie deadlift) as a function of strength, which translates to maximum weight divided by 30 equals strength score. The INT score ranges also closely correlate to IQ values, albeit at a magnitude of 10. Average IQ being 100 with a standard of deviation of 15 points, giving a range of 85-115 as average. That can easily be translated to average INT being in the 9-12 range.

pygmybatrider
2018-10-24, 11:28 PM
I would agree with this as far as DEX, CON, WIS, and CHA are concerned. However, the PHB has an explicit table that defines maximum amount of weight that can be lifted off the ground (ie deadlift) as a function of strength, which translates to maximum weight divided by 30 equals strength score. The INT score ranges also closely correlate to IQ values, albeit at a magnitude of 10. Average IQ being 100 with a standard of deviation of 15 points, giving a range of 85-115 as average. That can easily be translated to average INT being in the 9-12 range.

Well, today I learned that my Strength score is 13.6.

SirThoreth
2018-10-25, 12:47 AM
Well, these are fun, and since I was just taking one of these quizzes, this seems like a good spot to delurk.

If you really need to be able to deadlift 300 lbs to have a 10 STR, that seems...insane. However, I've walked carrying a 250 lb VW engine I lifted out of my old land yacht's trunk, and set it down 30 ft away without dropping it. I'm more fragile than I was 10 years ago, though. So, these days I'd say I'm at about a 13 STR without pulling something.

DEX: I'm a halfway decent shot with firearms or a crossbow, and less so with my less-practiced bow. Done Aikido, out of practice but not awful. So, figure 12-13.

CON...hmm, I'm not as healthy as I was four years ago, when I could still do half-marathons (slowly), and while I have tendencies to pill muscles if I'm not careful, I can generally work through pain. On the balance, figure 10-11.

INT: yeah, if you do IQ/10 for the lower bound or the weird chart in the thread for the upper bound, then 14-18. I'm going to say 14-16 here, splitting the difference (and making point buy easier)

WIS and CHA: probably 12-13 here. I'm not saying common sense is my superpower, but I'm better than average, and while I'm not the most personable person on the planet, I do well enough in social situations, and even did a radio show for a while.

So, point buy, end results:

STR: 13
DEX: 13
CON: 10
INT: 15-16
WIS: 12-13
CHA: 12-13

Sage background for sure. For class, you could make solid arguments for wizard, bard, monk, or (if you get me mad enough) barbarian.

Malifice
2018-10-25, 01:11 AM
Most of us are nerds, and not the cool kids at school.

Accordingly any of you that put a Charisma of over 8 is kidding yourselves ;)

Seriously though our ability scores are all 10, and we have 4 HP. We're most likely Commoners.

Commoners include peasants, serfs, Slaves, Servants, pilgrims, merchants, artisans, and hermits.

Yep; thats us.

hymer
2018-10-25, 05:48 AM
Yep; thats us.
You sure? I saw several claims of ninja pirate assassin cyborgs up there. :smallwink:

Anyway, people are using various criteria, rather than the one OP described. So it all becomes a little hard to make any sort of comparison on.

Galithar
2018-10-25, 06:16 AM
If you're coming to this thread to compare yourself to others and not to have fun imagining your RL character sheet, you're doing it wrong.

hymer
2018-10-25, 06:23 AM
Is that what you thought I was doing?

Legendairy
2018-10-25, 07:23 AM
I will give a stab at it! Seems interesting enough.

Str I would put me around a 14 (I am still a gym rat I deadlift 425 for my last set not max weight, I bench only 250, I’ve had shoulder issues and still do, I squat 325 for last sets, overhead press 125 and curl 100lbs roughly) so 14 is dnd standards for the dragging and pulling, but I regularly flip a 400lb tire so depending on the object and all.

Dex is tricky I would say around 14 (like many others here I started martial arts young, I taught for about 6 years and trained/fight in MMA, I trained with some of the top dogs at the time and held my own, my pedigree was Maui Thai/Tae Kwon Do/BJJ. I was also a scout sniper in the Army, my aim is pretty decent but not the best, 7 inch grouping with a .308 at 1300meters is my claim to fame, close range I could shoot 5.56 through a spent .50 cartridge where the blasting cap would be.

Con this is wonky to me...10-14 (no clue, I was on the Army ten mile team, boxing team, and wrestling team. I can take a beating thanks to mma, I still do wind sprints and have decent cardio, I live fairly healthy, and have a healthy coat of tattoos. That being said I get sick often and don’t sleep well, an anti tank grenade almost took me out permanently in 2007 so I still have some lasting effects.)

Int as I get older I lose some of my glory! Soo maybe 12-13 (according to an IQ test I was at 134. Less so now but I haven’t taken one since. Computer science and software engineering was the first college experience and currently its theological studies and psychology.

Wis this I am good at! 13-14 (solidly) (I can spot most things thanks to years of training, I notice small details and can generally tell who is lying to me, people avoid me if they have an issue cause I can usually “sense” something is off. I’m also fairly good in the wilds and can track and identify things but I guess that’s more int this edition.

Cha ahh a tricky one 12-14 (I was a leader in the military and my guys loved me, I have had way too many stupid one night encounters with women, and my wife thinks I’m purty! I still catch an eye here and there but it’s probably cause I’m doing something ridiculous. I am known as a social butterfly and we go to a decent amounts of events.)

For class....I would say champ fighter or maybe battlemaster, I have been in fights with people who have had knives and even firearms and was able to take them away without getting shot or stabbed. I would like to say ranger but I don’t think I’m skilled enough outdoors to make the cut. I’m fairly sneaky and can low crawl and drag bag for way way too long, but fighter still fits me thinks.

Willie the Duck
2018-10-25, 07:41 AM
So why try to rain on the parade and call someone out for their personally assigned stats? How do you actually know that you aren't responding to someone who legitimately is a body building world renowned scientist with a Nobel Peace prize, runs multiple marathons a year, is an absolute Ace at finding Waldo and can lift your watch without you noticing?

Let me be clear. I don't actually care particularly greatly. There's one person who was on this board who seemed to have an obsession with intellectual yardsticking whose responses I would have been interested in (because I was always curious on whether it was based on high or low self esteem), but they seem to have left the boards. Otherwise, I agree that it is just BS-ing. The optics of 'those D&D players who are dedicated enough to frequent D&D forums getting together and doing a pecking-order-assignment exercise' kinda reinforces some very negative stereotypes, but again I'm not really concerned since I have faith this will really not travel from here*.
*If this were on one of the more contentious boards, the people on the opposing board might start posting 'look at what they're doing over on ___' comments to each other. I don't really know of anyone who has a bone to pick with GitP.

My point was that this isn't informative. Even accounting for self-diagnosis and peer pressure effects, no two people are using the numbers in the same way.

As to the body building world renowned scientist who is frequenting these boards, I'm not particularly worried that they will be hurt by my credulity. I'd be much more concerned with those who would get the false sense that they are the only people here who aren't superhuman. But again I think you think I'm taking this more seriously than I am.

Strength certainly has that. And it is in fact a nice, coherent, measurable metric. I remember an analysis from 3e that looked at how the dead lift number related to how much you could lift above your head, etc. and coming to the conclusion that if you used dead lift numbers as your solid metric, it didn't inform other real-world strength limits in a realistic way. However, it is a solid measurement. So we could use it. That makes it a lone outlier, though. As to Int-to-IQ, I guess we could do that. If everyone didn't agree to that, it would be a problem (seeing how many people have followed the OP's axioms). Since IQ doesn't map well to Intelligence as we generally think of it in D&D terms (being mostly a developmental/disability/minimum capacity measure that breaks down at the upper bounds and has serious concerns about it's application to those not of the same social context of those who design the test), I'm hesitant to even suggest it. Regardless, we would have to get buy in on it.

Which is not impossible. We could do it. But given I don't think we can get two people here to agree on how common a 16, 18, or 20 is for Player Character, much less IRL people, I stand by the opinion that it's only really useful for chewing the fat.

kivzirrum
2018-10-25, 07:43 AM
Well this seems fun!

STR: 10. A nice, average 10 seems like the right choice here. Even going to the gym regularly, I'm never gonna be much stronger than this.

DEX: 8. My hand-eye coordination could be worse, but I'm a total freaking klutz.

CON: 12. I'm pretty hardy for a gigantic nerd. I'm not prone to illness and I have a decent tolerance for pain.

INT: 18. I'm not in the upper echelons of human genius, so I'm not pushing up against the 20s or anything, but I think I'm about as close as I can be.

WIS: 15. My decision making isn't always the best, but I'm fairly wise and I have a strong will. I mean, I doubt I'll be resisting any extreme torture techniques for any length of time, but for any normal, day-to-day needs, I have good willpower.

CHA: 12. People tend to like me despite me being a tremendous introvert, but I am still a tremendous introvert. People skills are not my greatest skills.

I know these stats seem unrealistically high, but if we all answered based on the usual stats for normies and commoners, this would be a boring thread :smalltongue:

UrielAwakened
2018-10-25, 07:56 AM
Str: 14 (open pickle-jars, carry heavy things, curl ~50lbs)
Dex: 7 (can't throw for my life, but only fall over sometimes)
Con: 15 (almost never sick, never broke a bone or been hospitalized, 200 jumping jacks in a row, cardio otherwise lacking)
Int: 16 (elite school, high marks, solid IQ, high-quality tech job)
Wis: 6 (human doormat, oblivious, can't say 'no')
Cha: 8 (not very convincing in person, can't hide emotions)

INT | IQ
3 | 57
4 | 66
5 | 72
6 | 78
7 | 83
8 | 88
9 | 93
10 | 98
11 | 102
12 | 107
13 | 112
14 | 117
15 | 122
16 | 128
17 | 134
18 | 143

Regarding WIS, I prefer systems where willpower, emotional intelligence/awareness, and perception are separate

I've always felt like Int and IQ weren't 1:1. If they are I know a lot of 18s-20s in Int and that seems wrong. Yes technically you can overlay the test to the die rolls and match probability but intelligence is such a difficult thing to properly capture, even with IQ tests.

Legendairy
2018-10-25, 07:58 AM
A think that makes this odd is that things like Cha are based on your individual experiences and depending on age and place this can vary widely, being the most popular kid in a high school of 200 is drastically different from being one of them in a school of 2000, which is also way different than being a public speaker, ceo, leader and all kids of other jobs that require a type of social etiquette.

Legendairy
2018-10-25, 08:01 AM
I agree that int-IQ aren’t as easy as 1:1. If that were the case then I know a few 18s, no 20s that I’m aware of but most people I hang out with and associate with in general are from the 13-16. Not to discredit them or anything it just seems off in some ways.

Naanomi
2018-10-25, 08:34 AM
My general methodology for this sort of thing:

1) assume I am average until I have reason to believe otherwise; preliminarily placing all stats at 10
2) go through each stat and subjectively decide if I am above or below average; with a strong bias to leave it at ‘average’ unless I can meaningfully support the argument otherwise
3) for each stat, if I am below average, determine if it is enough to be ‘impairing’ in some functioning way; if not leave it at 10
4) if it is an impediment but not a major defining weakness in my life compares to others, set it at 8 or 9; if it is a defining deficit in my life or markedly a weaker domain, set it to 6-7; if I have a recognized disability impairing that domain, concider setting it lower
5) for each stat, if I am above average, first determine if I am above average across the entire domain of the stat, or if it is a strength better represented by relevant proficiencies (note: for weaknesses, also concider being good at one thing in the domain as a low stat with proficiency shoring up that weakness)
6) if I subjectively determine a strength in an area, determine if it is enough to be valuable in some functional way. If above average but not meaningfully, set the stat to 11
7) if I determine it is a relative strength compared to others, but I am not a world-class expert/master of that domain (or couldn’t be even if circumstances were different but with the same base potential), set the stat to 12-13
8) I don’t gave any raw attributes I would concider myself to be world-class exceptional in, so I don’t need to continue with evaluating higher potential stats
9) make sure the end results are close to normal in overall distribution, to avoid hubristic thinking that I am ‘above average’ in all or most domains; adjust stats downward accordingly if necessary

Edenbeast
2018-10-25, 11:23 AM
I want to give this a try just for the sake of it :smallsmile: But it would be more interesting what kind of stats my friends would give me.

STR: 9. I don't consider myself strong, even below average compared to others when it comes to lifting stuff. I do like jogging in the forest, and I go bouldering twice a week (or at least try to).

DEX: 14. I'm quite handy, my reflexes have saved me from quite some scratches, I'm good at balancing, and I have good eye-hand coordination.

CON: 13. I'm rarely sick and doing sports have given me decent stamina.

INT: 14. I think I'm quite intelligent. My IQ was over 130 when I once did a test. I don't really trust the bellcurve translation to the D&D stat, so I go with the OP's descriptions. I work in academics, so it's definitely my main stat.

WIS: 10. I'm just average here I guess. I have decent insight, but I've made mistakes as well.

CHA: 11. I'm rather shy and introvert, but a mentor at uni once said I have a natural dominance in front of a class.

If I were to pick some skills, from background and job:
Arcana. I guess it comes closest to science, using computers and other "arcane" tools
Athletics. I'm not strong, but I'm a good climber.
Investigation. There's a lot of researching involved in my work.
Nature. I'm a biologist.

Akolyte01
2018-10-25, 01:01 PM

One of the smartest people who has ever lived only being a 16 doesn't make any sense though. If Einstein/Hawking etc weren't 18s, then nobody would be. And since we know people CAN be 18s (since you can roll it) it seems far more reasonable to peg them as such

Akolyte01
2018-10-25, 01:15 PM
Maybe it would make sense to work down:

An 18 would be "there are few in history as intelligent/wise/strong as you"

17: "there are few in the world as [...stat...] as you"

16: "there are few in your community/city/etc. as [...stat...] as you"

Then 12-15 would be various levels of exceptional, with 15 being like 97th-98th percentile or so, down to 12 being "of noticeably elevated ability"

(in which case I'd need to bump down some of my scores)

Naanomi
2018-10-25, 02:06 PM

Then 12-15 would be various levels of exceptional, with 15 being like 97th-98th percentile or so, down to 12 being "of noticeably elevated ability"

Though one component is that stats can raise with experience... so a 20 represents not just 'there are few in history as naturally intelligent/wise/strong as you' but also that you have dedicated considerable effort into improving that trait; which of course at lower levels confuses the issue a bit... if I have an IQ of 110, but have dedicated my life to mental pursuits and cognitive exercise... I could arguably have an intelligence that started at 11 but is now 14 from ASIs

PeteNutButter
2018-10-25, 02:09 PM

This all ignores stats above 18...

Perhaps its a fault of 5e, with the soft cap on stats at 20. In previous editions it'd be totally fine for a PC to eventually have stats in the twenties.

I'd build Einstein as an NPC with a 20-22 int and call it a day. He doesn't need to follow PC rules because he is an NPC.

If a player wanted to be as smart as Einstein they have to get a few ASIs and then read a stat increasing book.

Even ignoring that you can have a 19 with a rolled 18 and racial mods. Make it a variant human and you could start with a 20 int via a half feat.

Willie the Duck
2018-10-25, 02:10 PM
One of the smartest people who has ever lived only being a 16 doesn't make any sense though. If Einstein/Hawking etc weren't 18s, then nobody would be. And since we know people CAN be 18s (since you can roll it) it seems far more reasonable to peg them as such

Which is fine, as long as everyone is using the same scale. The OP listing 18 as 'nope, you are not this' and then Einstein as less than this did kind of create a double jeopardy/ multiple reserves stats there*. There's even an argument for the Einsteins of the world being 19+, just to open up 18 for 'reasonable supergenius,' but I'm still pretty comfortable with someone (and the Original Poster listed a scoring rubric right in the Original Post, I want to give them credit for that) wanting to make 18 a 'no, I'm sorry, that's not you' for our purposes.
*And TBH, the scale doesn't actually need to account for Einstein-level people. They could be described as off-scale. I am reminded of a comedy bit I saw once, where two people at a bar were rating the attractive people who walked in (in the bit it was guys ranking women). It went something like:
A: Oh, that one's a 10.
B: No way, that's a 8, 9 tops.
A: Jeeze, what's your idea of a 10 then?
B: Supermodels.
A: ... Do we really need a score for supermodels? Do you really expect any to walk into this place [gestures around comedy club]?
B: No, but if one did, and you'd already been assigning 10s to the people that did, that would make our rating measure pointless.
A: I think you mean more pointless.
B: ... okay, you got me there.

Regardless, if we could get everyone agree to those new terms, fine. Given how well the OP's setting up a measurement rubric worked, I'm not holding out much hope, but sure, sounds good. Let's limit only 18 to out of bounds.

Millface
2018-10-25, 02:12 PM
CHA 18... ladies.

hamishspence
2018-10-25, 02:14 PM
In previous editions it'd be totally fine for a PC to eventually have stats in the twenties.

The Prodigy trait in 3.5e allowed an NPC to start out with +2 to one stat - so you could assign their stats, best being 18, and then add the Prodigy benefit on top of that.

PeteNutButter
2018-10-25, 02:17 PM
The Prodigy trait in 3.5e allowed an NPC to start out with +2 to one stat - so you could assign their stats, best being 18, and then add the Prodigy benefit on top of that.

And in that edition it'd make sense to stat out most super genius NPCs as mid to high level "experts." No one should suggest Einstein died at level one.

hamishspence
2018-10-25, 02:30 PM
And in that edition it'd make sense to stat out most super genius NPCs as mid to high level "experts." No one should suggest Einstein died at level one.

Adding a few levels works as well. The old "the-alexandrian" article suggested 5 or 6 levels was the maximum any human should have - a min-maxed 5th-6th level character can match world records in some things.

Thus, Einstein as minmaxed 6th level Expert (or maybe 3 levels in Expert and 3 in Human Paragon for the +2 stat boost?) with the Prodigy trait.

Result (Human Paragon version) is Int 23 (thanks to 1 pt stat boost from 4th level) and he doesn't even have to have Aging bonuses.

Akolyte01
2018-10-25, 02:33 PM
This all ignores stats above 18...

Perhaps its a fault of 5e, with the soft cap on stats at 20. In previous editions it'd be totally fine for a PC to eventually have stats in the twenties.

I'd build Einstein as an NPC with a 20-22 int and call it a day. He doesn't need to follow PC rules because he is an NPC.

If a player wanted to be as smart as Einstein they have to get a few ASIs and then read a stat increasing book.

18 is the max for a mundane human. Scores above that require ASIs (which you don't get unless you kill monsters, and I don't see many monsters around :smalltongue:) racial bonuses (don't see any elves around either) or magic (yeah, still aint there)

Adventurers are exceptional people. An 18 would already be "as smart as possible" and once you scale beyond it you start getting to decidedly superhuman levels (which allow for decidedly super human feats)

hamishspence
2018-10-25, 02:38 PM
I don't know about 5e rules for Lifting, but the only Strength score high enough to match the world record "lift overhead" as I recall in 3.5, was Strength 23.

Which again, is consistent with the aforementioned 4th (or so) level character with 3 levels of Paragon Human, and Prodigy, and 18 as starting stat.

PeteNutButter
2018-10-25, 02:42 PM
18 is the max for a mundane human. Scores above that require ASIs (which you don't get unless you kill monsters, and I don't see many monsters around :smalltongue:) racial bonuses (don't see any elves around either) or magic (yeah, still aint there)

Adventurers are exceptional people. An 18 would already be "as smart as possible" and once you scale beyond it you start getting to decidedly superhuman levels (which allow for decidedly super human feats)

Humans get +1 to all stats. You don't need to be an elf.

And there are certainly more ways to gain exp aside from killing monsters. At the very least you'd have to give xp to combat veterans...

Resileaf
2018-10-25, 02:49 PM
Str: 11: Used to be higher when I had a heavy lifting job, I assume I'm back to average strength.
Dex: 13: I've got good enough reflexes.
Con: 14: I don't get badly sick easily.
Int: 9: I don't learn as fast as most people, but I have a few subjects where I excel, namely history, so my knowledge skills must be amazing.
Wis: 9: I like to think I have good common sense, but I get easily distracted and I'm too generous for my own good. Plus kinda lazy. But I can hear and notice things from quite far away, so perception checks must be highly leveled.
Cha: 7: Dump stat for sure. Shy, socially awkward, can barely speak in front of more than ten people. I like thinking I've got good RP skills though, so maybe some nice perform ranks.

Legendairy
2018-10-25, 02:56 PM
Wasn’t it suggested/tested that Einstein had something like a 160IQ by today’s standards? If the 1:1 goes that means a bit about the game which I’m fine with, just it kind of disagrees with OP’s chart. For instance I think actor James Wood has been said to be in the 180’s or some such. Which is odd because last time checking into MENSA the IQ test didn’t test beyond 140....I am old and my brain doesn’t work right, this may all be half truths partially remembered.

Edit: Hey google! Hawking and Einstein’s are both said to have IQ of 160. So my memory isn’t THAT bad.

Edit 2: IQ is something that can fluctuate as well, so many factors.

PeteNutButter
2018-10-25, 03:48 PM
Wasn’t it suggested/tested that Einstein had something like a 160IQ by today’s standards? If the 1:1 goes that means a bit about the game which I’m fine with, just it kind of disagrees with OP’s chart. For instance I think actor James Wood has been said to be in the 180’s or some such. Which is odd because last time checking into MENSA the IQ test didn’t test beyond 140....I am old and my brain doesn’t work right, this may all be half truths partially remembered.

Edit: Hey google! Hawking and Einstein’s are both said to have IQ of 160. So my memory isn’t THAT bad.

Edit 2: IQ is something that can fluctuate as well, so many factors.

I was going to point some of this out before, as using Einstein as the biggest genius isn't all that accurate. Generally anyone in the 140+ range is smart enough that they could be considered a genius and are theoretically capable of fantastic things. Most of these people just don't end up creating famous theoretical physics theories or what not. To sum up fame does not equate to genius.

Using Einstein as an example works all the same as you could reasonably suggest that his int score would be higher than those posting on these forums... or maybe not. An IQ of 160 is one in 31,560 people. That isn't all that uncommon. It would suggest, with no other factors, that you should expect to meet two of those people in your lifetime, though one or both of you might not be aware. Certainly what circles you go about in should change those odds significantly, such as if you go to an ivy league school, etc.

That would mean we can predict there are ~10,300 Americans that have this exceptional genius level IQ of 160.

That normal genius IQ of 140, there should be a whopping 1.2 million Americans with that. That's actually not too far off from the odds of rolling an 18 on 3d6. :smallbiggrin:

Naanomi
2018-10-25, 04:00 PM
IQ is... a bad measure of anything really; it is only really used in clinical settings for broadly describing levels of cognitive impairment; and even then except beyond the lowest levels a measure rife with cultural biases... any IQ ratings of 'above average' have very little functional utility beyond bragging rights. I wouldn't tie it to Intelligence too tightly

GlenSmash!
2018-10-25, 06:02 PM
IQ is... a bad measure of anything really; it is only really used in clinical settings for broadly describing levels of cognitive impairment; and even then except beyond the lowest levels a measure rife with cultural biases... any IQ ratings of 'above average' have very little functional utility beyond bragging rights. I wouldn't tie it to Intelligence too tightly

Indeed.

Especially 5e Intelligence which is more about recall than than true Intelligence as it doesn't cover, logic, understanding, battle tactics and the like.

5e Intelligence, true Intelligence, and IQ seem to all be 3 separate things.

narrator667
2018-10-25, 06:29 PM
These always depress me, honestly.
STR: 10. I can carry in all the groceries in one go, ma.
DEX: 13. I can run pretty fast for a fat guy honestly.
CON: 7. I'm fat, despite what video games say and what sciences says is obvious, Fat people actually have less endurance and a soft spot to hit in the gut.
WIS: 8. I'm generally oblivious, I can give advice a bit better than your average joe, but that's only cause I know what I wouldn't want to hear in their situation, not what they would need to hear.
INT: 10. So I got through high school and got int College. Doesn't make me Einstein. Most statistics show the average low INT person believes they have a high INT anyway, so I gotta stay alert to that.
CHA: 10, Sometimes 13, other times 6. In certain situations I can make friends pretty easily if they're forced to interact with me, but I really don't have the courage to just go up and start talking to people. I have been told that when someone enters a room I specifically call them out with a hi, which is either nice or awkward depending on your interpretation.
Realistically I don't think I could survive long as a DnD character, but I'd probably go for a Moderate to Heavily Armored Heavy Crossbowmen.

sithlordnergal
2018-10-25, 07:12 PM
Str: 11, I'm a bit stronger then I look, but I'm really not that tough

Dex: 12 I'm pretty dexterous, having done things like juggling, pogosticking, and balancing stuff

Con: 9, I die if I jog 10 feet

Int: 15 I put a ton of work into this, and am still putting in work

Wis: 10 ...I'm not the most perceptive

Cha: 13 People seem to listen to me, I have no idea why

sambojin
2018-10-25, 07:21 PM
Str 13/14. I can pretty easily lift 300lbs and roll 1400lb commercial bins around at work every day (sometimes the brake gets locked on, so I am actually pulling them, not just rolling them). Not a bad arm wrestler.

Dex 12. Hard to rate. I'm a pretty good shot with a rifle, used to box and do a bit of karate and Muay Thai, good at cricket, but can't play darts to save my life. Am average, at best, at playing pool. Probably just get a +2 to-hit with rifles and to block/dodge or something :)

Con 13. Muay Thai toughens you up, and used to be a regional swimming champ and do plenty of spearfishing/free-diving. Smoke and drink, but am constantly on my feet at work. Have a little bit of a beer gut for solidness (not starving any time soon) but with a fair bit of muscle under it.

Int 14/15. Was a smarty in school and have an IQ of 140-150'ish (have tested higher though), so a 1:10 ratio seems fair. Got scholarships and stuff, so it's not just me thinking it, but see my Wis stat below. Can sometimes get +Int to-hit or to-Wis-skill, but incredibly limited uses per week.

Wis 9. I honestly do some pretty stupid things and am sometimes oblivious to the obvious, while being strangely in tune with nature and people. Wordly-wise, but drunk txt good looking women way too often to be considered actually wise.....

Cha 13. Don't know why, but I get along with people well. My big, dumb, well-meaning face seems to put people at ease in saying g'day, though I'm not exactly a social butterfly either. Get a +1 when drunk or am in tense social situations.

Class: Sorcerer. The amount of different magical stuff I can pull out my arse in a given week is limited, but often highly surprising. Have the Shield spell. Somehow got access to the Guidance cantrip, but only use it occasionally. Got the Friends cantrip, but am just good enough at Bluff/Persuasion and Intimidation to be able to mood-shift them back to non-hostile for the bad side of it to rarely come up after the duration expires. I also seem to be able to cast Haste at lvl1, so the DM is probably helping out my character concept, mostly because it probably needs it. Tend to go "Hit it with a hammer first, then start trying other techniques" for most skill related challenges. Even if sometimes my brain is that hammer. Or just working extra hard to get the job done. Magic only comes into it if either of those two things isn't working. If it hits me back, I cast Shield. If I need to work extra fast to the point of exhaustion, I cast Haste. May have picked the wrong class given my stats, but it seems to work.

(if anyone has old MMA/Muay Thai/K1 qualifying footage, I used to fight under the monikers "Puddles of Blood", "PoBby", or "LD" in the early/mid 2000's. So, probably not a good sorcerer.... I've kind of alignment shifted to neutral good since then :)
"And, as always, there will be blood!"
At one point, there was an ice-cream flavour named "Puddles of Boysenberry". Was an MMA/WWE crossover thing. Lol 😂)