PDA

View Full Version : Dice tower help

stewstew5
2018-10-23, 10:06 AM
I recently 3d printed a dice tower of my own design, but do to the restrictions of the printer itself i could only have one ramp on the bottom. this results in my dice being launched out at mach 5. Is there anything I can do retroactively, like something i can coat the bottom in to slow down the dice?

Lord Torath
2018-10-23, 10:11 AM
Can you add additional baffles into the drop tower? My first tower had just the ramp at the bottom, and the dice frequently jumped out. Adding additional baffles to my next design prevented most of that (still get about 1 in 100+ rolls jumping out).

stewstew5
2018-10-23, 10:15 AM
Can you add additional baffles into the drop tower? My first tower had just the ramp at the bottom, and the dice frequently jumped out. Adding additional baffles to my next design prevented most of that (still get about 1 in 100+ rolls jumping out).

The printer wouldn't print them and because of it's rounded shape (and relative smallness) adding some would be difficult

DMThac0
2018-10-23, 11:55 AM
Take a cue from Las Vegas: Add something to increase the amount of friction and decrease the amount of bounce. Textured foam glued to the ramp, probably around 1/4" or .6 cm could cause it to catch and slow it down. You could also add something to the mouth to catch the momentum of the die and slow it down, small plastic strips, thin leather, medium weight cloth, etc.

LordEntrails
2018-10-23, 12:26 PM
Yep, as DMThac0 says. Foam, rubber, or something soft on the ramp.

And print your next dice tower in parts designed to be assembled. Will make the printing faster and allow for more complexity.

Corpsecandle717
2018-10-23, 01:49 PM
Friend of mine built a tower out of wood that has a catch tray that can be removed and then placed on the tower like an end cap. Works pretty well.

stewstew5
2018-10-23, 03:11 PM
I think I'll make a 'fence' of sorts using spears and the such from pvc miniatures (the dice tower is designed like a castle so it works)

Erloas
2018-10-23, 05:07 PM
Drill a couple holes in the side and stick a dowl/nail through the holes. Keep them close to the side so a die won't easily caught in it, but far enough out that it is likely to be hit. You could also put them near the center if it is big enough that they won't catch.

That will give you some basic "ramps" without having to reprint the tower.