PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How should Bigby's hand behave when interposing against a creature?

holywhippet
2018-10-23, 07:35 PM
Consider this scenario: Wizard A casts Bigby's hand and orders it to move 20 feet away from enemy B, who 100 feet away from the wizard, before ordering it to interpose against enemy B. The rule description says the hand moves automatically to stay between the target and it's caster. It also says the target can move through the hand treating the terrain as being difficult, provided it stronger than the hand is. Assume enemy B is stronger than the hand. What happens as they approach the hand? Does the hand keep moving backwards to keep between the enemy and the wizard until there is nowhere else to back up to? Or does it keep the same distance until enemy B moves into it then immediately moves back so that the 80 feet between it and the wizard will be difficult terrain for the entire distance?

Speely
2018-10-23, 08:36 PM
I would say it stays where it is. If they beat the Str check, they should be afforded freedom from it until the caster's next turn.

Aka: it got beat, and that is a benefit of making the save.

stoutstien
2018-10-23, 08:40 PM
When I first read the title I had an image of bigbys hand making a rude gesture when it blocks a creature

holywhippet
2018-10-24, 12:11 AM
I would say it stays where it is. If they beat the Str check, they should be afforded freedom from it until the caster's next turn.

Aka: it got beat, and that is a benefit of making the save.

The spell actually says the hand will move to be between the target and the caster though. Also there is no strength check involved. You are either stronger than the hand in which case you can move through it or it is stronger than you.

Unoriginal
2018-10-24, 06:16 AM
Or does it keep the same distance until enemy B moves into it then immediately moves back so that the 80 feet between it and the wizard will be difficult terrain for the entire distance?

Seems the most logical.

You're pushing the hand, but the hand's hindering you by pushing back.