PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Perfect Heightening

Peregrine
2007-09-18, 11:50 AM
Perfect Heightening [General]

Prerequisites: Heighten Spell and any one two other metamagic feats, caster level 9th

Benefit: All spells you cast have their effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability) determined by the level of the spell slot they occupy.
When you apply a metamagic feat to a spell, the increase in the level of the spell slot required also changes the spell’s actual level, for effects dependent on spell level such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability.

Only that specific casting is affected; the spell still counts as a single spell of its normal level in your repertoire of spells. It cannot, for instance, be used to qualify for any prestige class that requires you to know a number of spells of a certain level.

Normal: When you prepare a spell in a higher-than-normal spell slot (such as when applying metamagic) due to metamagic, its effective level does not change, except for levels added with the Heighten Spell feat.

(Is that explanation clear enough? Should I add examples? In case it's not clear enough, the purpose of this feat is to bump up save DCs, and other spell level-dependent effects, when using metamagic feats that require a higher-level spell slot. It should be handy for classes with limited spell selections.)

Edit: Incorporated suggestions and clarifications (in red).
Edit 2: Upped the prerequisites (in blue).

blue_fenix
2007-09-18, 11:57 AM
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, this would allow me cast a Silent Fireball and have it's save DC be calculated as if it were a 4th level spell? That's kinda cool. I would increase the prerequisites to Heighten Spell plus 2 other metamagic feats, because this is pretty strong for a batman wizard. Also, consider how this might affect certain abilities and prestige class prereq's that refer to being able to cast a spell of a specific level, i.e. watch out for exploitable loopholes.

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 11:59 AM
I think it makes sense. Looks good, but the requirements seem...low? I love Heighten Spell, and this is a nice touch beyond that. Maybe it's enough that it invalidates Heighten Spell entirely, but it just feels off a little to me. :smallsmile:

Peregrine
2007-09-18, 12:09 PM
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, this would allow me cast a Silent Fireball and have it's save DC be calculated as if it were a 4th level spell? That's kinda cool.

That's right.

I would increase the prerequisites to Heighten Spell plus 2 other metamagic feats, because this is pretty strong for a batman wizard.

I was thinking of making it two feats. Consider it done, unless I come up with even better prerequisites.

Also, consider how this might affect certain abilities and prestige class prereq's that refer to being able to cast a spell of a specific level, i.e. watch out for exploitable loopholes.

Hmm. As far as I can tell, it doesn't-- I mean, you still need to have the spell slots-- oh, but I suppose you could read it abusively for things like "must be able to cast five evocations of 5th level or higher". Hmm.

I think it makes sense. Looks good, but the requirements seem...low?

Yeah, working on that. :smallsmile:

I love Heighten Spell, and this is a nice touch beyond that. Maybe it's enough that it invalidates Heighten Spell entirely, but it just feels off a little to me. :smallsmile:

It doesn't... oh, wait, it kind of does. A spontaneous caster with Heighten Spell has to do all their fancy extra-casting-time jiggery, because it's metamagic. A spontaneous caster with Perfect Heightening can just cast the spell using a higher-level spell slot, no metamagic required.

Easy fixed. I can just rewrite it so that it only applies to spell level increases from metamagic feats.

Peregrine
2007-09-20, 02:22 PM
Edited the feat. And taking this opportunity to bump, because I'd like some more feedback...

Should the prerequisites be higher? Caster level X, for instance?

GimliFett
2007-09-20, 02:26 PM
I think it'd be fair to require a CL 7+ or even 9+.

Peregrine
2007-09-21, 12:54 PM
I went for CL 9th; at that level, a wizard could now be quickening 1st-level spells, or adding a couple of lesser metamagic increases to her spells. So this feat then becomes handy. (It also makes more sense from the perspective that a straight-classed caster from any of the core classes wouldn't get a feat at CL 7th.)

I'm still open to the possibility of raising the bar a bit more; perhaps just because the name "Perfect Heightening" suggests something a bit more elite.

GimliFett
2007-09-21, 12:56 PM
Whaddya think about Spellcraft ranks? Say 10+? It implies a solid knowledge of spells and their components.