PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed PRCs as base classes

J-H
2018-10-23, 09:44 PM
Has anyone tried opening up some of the lower-powered PRCs and just making them available as 5-to-10 level base classes? Quite a few of the underwhelming ones are worthless for levels 6-15, but decent at levels 1-10.

I'm specifically staring at OA PRCs like the Hida Defender. 5/day rage, DR 4/-, and +1 to the critical multiplier a specific weapon type. Good up to level 10, although not Warblade good. Competes well with the Barbarian (Barb has more skills, faster movement, more class features). At level 15 (entered at 6)? The casters are rocking Finger of Death, Disintegrate, etc., the ToB classes are getting +8d6 damage maneuvers, and you get DR 4 and the rage of a first level barbarian.

Some rules to prevent frontloading (1-level dips) may need to be included, though. I'd certainly dip a crit-fisher build for +1 to crit multiplier on a greataxe.

zfs
2018-10-23, 10:00 PM
No reason not to I suppose, but why not convert them to 20 level classes? If they're still limited to 10 it seems less like a base class and more like a really early access prestige class.

But if you wanted to do a quick and dirty port and didn't want to do a full 20 level redesign, most PrC's wouldn't be broken as long as you avoid obvious dip abuses and probably restrict some of the more insane options. A player who asks to be a Planar Shepherd from level 1 is getting a DMG to the face.

Kayblis
2018-10-23, 10:05 PM
You'd have to allow each class on a case-by-case basis. Many PrCs have nonscaling stuff that is actually very powerful 5~10 levels below. The Master of Shrouds and the Sea Witch are prime examples of that, having summoning abilities that break low levels of play.

Although many classes are objectively bad, you can't even do this by book, because the same OA you mentioned has the Shiba Protector. He gets a class feature by level 1 that lets him add his WIS to its attack and damage(as well as its usual stat), effectively doubling his potential bonus and being a great option for anyone that plans on focusing Wisdom. Even if most other class features suck, a SR of 20+WIS by level 9 is absurd. By level 10, you effectively make your highest stat your only stat for anything that matters more than a common attack roll. Sure, by level 15 this isn't much, and that SR by level 14 is good but not amazing, yet the class becomes a perfect dip and those who decide to suck it up and take all 10 levels now have a powerful tool to get their first actual PrC and break whatever check they need with a huge Wisdom score to it.

Nifft
2018-10-23, 10:19 PM
Has anyone tried opening up some of the lower-powered PRCs and just making them available as 5-to-10 level base classes? Quite a few of the underwhelming ones are worthless for levels 6-15, but decent at levels 1-10.

I've seen some prestige classes adapted as full 20-level base classes.

Would those be useful to you, or do you just want existing PrCs adapted for low-level access?

Pleh
2018-10-24, 06:02 AM
I've often felt that Thief Acrobat would be amazing to be more or less universally accessible to any of the light/no armor base classes (but we gotta start earlier, by the time the PrC comes online, spells render this mode of mobility moot).