PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Sphere question

Brenoli
2018-10-24, 05:29 AM
Hi all,

As a druid I can get flaming sphere. I have one question about that.

Say I am in melee combat with someone and I use bonus action to ram it into creature (as per spells description), does that sphere occupay the same area as that creature, or is it in a space adjacent to it? In case it occupies the same space it would mean I have to leave the area myself as well, else I would get my own damage right?

kamap
2018-10-24, 06:43 AM
Normally it would occupy its own space like you and your oponent each have their own 5 foot square space. Your DM might see it differently but ours sees it like that.

nickl_2000
2018-10-24, 06:54 AM
I've always played that it gets it's own 5ft square with a token on it.

Brenoli
2018-10-24, 07:27 AM
ah ok, so you guys mean that it would end up on a square behind them and as such, I would be safe and need not move (and possibly get OoT against me)?

nickl_2000
2018-10-24, 07:38 AM
ah ok, so you guys mean that it would end up on a square behind them and as such, I would be safe and need not move (and possibly get OoT against me)?

Correct,
O = Open Space
X = Enemy
P = You
F = Flaming Sphere
A = Ally

OOOOOO
OOFOOO
OAXOOO
OOPOOO
OOOOOO

So, you would ram the F South one square into enemy X causing damage to enemy X. You are more than 5 feet away from the Flaming Sphere (F) and therefore don't take damage. Now enemy X takes their turn and then need to move or will take damage from flaming sphere. They don't like fire so they more to the Southeast provoking an AoO from Ally A.

That is what you do with Flaming Sphere and why it is good.

kamap
2018-10-24, 07:44 AM
In that setup the ally would get flaming spehere dmg though, if I'm not mistaken.

nickl_2000
2018-10-24, 07:49 AM
In that setup the ally would get flaming spehere dmg though, if I'm not mistaken.

Only at the end of their turn (Flaming Sphere applies damage is a creature is within 5 feet of it at the end of their turn or when the caster uses a bonus action to ram it into someone). So, the ally, on their turn would, need to move away from the flaming sphere.

Brenoli
2018-10-24, 08:12 AM
Correct,
O = Open Space
X = Enemy
P = You
F = Flaming Sphere
A = Ally

OOOOOO
OOFOOO
OAXOOO
OOPOOO
OOOOOO

So, you would ram the F South one square into enemy X causing damage to enemy X. You are more than 5 feet away from the Flaming Sphere (F) and therefore don't take damage. Now enemy X takes their turn and then need to move or will take damage from flaming sphere. They don't like fire so they more to the Southeast provoking an AoO from Ally A.

That is what you do with Flaming Sphere and why it is good.Thank you for clarification. But if you were to move F one to the right, wouldn't you get the same result, except that A doesn't need to move in order not to get damage?

Like so:

OOOOOO
OOOFOO
OAXOOO
OOPOOO
OOOOOO

nickl_2000
2018-10-24, 08:15 AM
Thank you for clarification. But if you were to move F one to the right, wouldn't you get the same result, except that A doesn't need to move in order not to get damage?

Like so:

OOOOOO
OOOFOO
OAXOOO
OOPOOO
OOOOOO

Absolutely, as long as your DM is fine with diagonal movement (I think it is in the rules to allow it, and I've never seen a table that doesn't, but I didn't use this as an example just in case).

Placing starts getting really important in these situations

OOOOOO
OXFOOO
OAXXOO
OXPOOO
OOOOOO