PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rat-tat-tat - two-weapon rapid-striking

Malapterus
2018-10-24, 06:22 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get a bunch of attacks on a 10th level character. This is more about flavor than optimization; it's for a cute little gnoll-like NPC armed with her little shield and short-sword that can pop in and make a bunch of quick little attacks.

Is there any way to get the ability to caste Haste by level 10 on a full BaB class?

I also looked at the Whirling Frenzy variant of Barbarian and I feel like it is missing something. I feel like it should give you additional attacks along the lines of Two-Weapon Fighting as the Rage ability improves, instead of just getting 1 attack at -2. Consider this:
**use the Strength and AC bonuses as listed for Whirling Frenzy
***possibly make it optional to boost your Dex instead of your Str, but that would also boost your AC, so probably not
**Add this to the Frenzy ability; While in Rage, as a standard action, when you make a melee attack against a target, you may make a second attack against that target at your highest BaB. All attacks you make this this round are at -2. At level 11, you get another bonus attack, at your highest BaB -5, and at level 17, you get a third bonus attack at -10. This is always a standard action, and all attacks must be against the same target. These bonus attacks do not combine with bonus attacks from fighting with two weapons, but see below.
*Whirling Frenzy - special rules: There is no penalty for using two weapons as part of your Frenzy attack even if you do not have the Two Weapon Fighting feat(s), but all your attacks still suffer the -2. Dual-weilding light weapons, unarmed strikes, natural claw attacks, or any combination of the three eliminates the -2 penalty. Using a two-handed weapon increases the penalty to -4.

So, that frenzy mod limits you to only using it while in Rage, and makes all your attacks against the same target, but also makes it a Standard action so you can move about and really lets you maul someone while in your Rage. I consider taking out two-handed weapons altogether instead of the -4 penalty, what do you think? Is this whole mod overpowered?

Moving on, I don't know of any other ways to get her where she needs to be. I don't know any way to make her weapons Monk weapons, and she has cute little armor to wear, so Monk is probably not an option.

Again, the only thing I am trying to optimize here is number of attacks, not the power of them; I just want to have this cute shy little thing be able to suddenly pop in and BAPBAPBAP an unsuspecting opponent.

Saintheart
2018-10-24, 07:42 AM
In terms of getting Haste on a non-caster, Catalogues of Enlightenment (albeit it would need to be the Greater Catalogues) -- allows you a cleric domain power and a single casting of a cleric domain spell. Celerity domain contains Haste.

In terms of spells that grant extra attacks: Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Sakkratar's Triple Strike. Totemist 2 with Girallon Arms Soulmeld give you four natural attacks.

Darrin
2018-10-24, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get a bunch of attacks on a 10th level character.

Shameless plug: TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook). See Section IV (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15034748&postcount=12) for adding hands.

This is more about flavor than optimization; it's for a cute little gnoll-like NPC armed with her little shield and short-sword that can pop in and make a bunch of quick little attacks.

Hmm. Dip Hit-and-Run Fighter (Drow of the Underdark) and Swordsage for Shadow Blade + Oxyrhynchus. Cloak of Deception gives you a round of improved invisibility, Dex bonus x2 on damage, Oxyrhynchus gives you an extra attack. You can add IUS + Snap Kick for another attack. If you want to keep the full BAB, dip Warblade 1 and take Martial Study/Martial Stance as fighter bonus feats for Cloak of Deception and Island of Blades. Dip Battle Dancer 1 for IUS, take Snap Kick at level 6 or 9.

1) Barbarian 1. Feat: TWF. Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy ACF.
2) Battle Dancer 1. Bonus: IUS.
3) Warblade 1. Feat: Touchstone (Oxyrhynchus).
4) Fighter 1. Bonus: Combat Reflexes. Hit-and-Run ACF.
5) Fighter 2. Bonus: Martial Study (Cloak of Deception)
6) Fighter 3. Feat: Snap Kick.
7) Fighter 4. Bonus: Improved TWF.
8) Fighter 5.
9) Fighter 6. Feat: Shadow Blade. Bonus: Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance).
10) Swashbuckler 1. Bonus: Weapon Finesse.

That gets you 7 attacks: 2 iterative, 2 offhand, 1 whirling frenzy, 1 oxyrhynchus, 1 snap kick.

Is there any way to get the ability to caste Haste by level 10 on a full BaB class?

Ranger 8 can cast swift haste (Spell Compendium). Consecrated Harrier 3 (Complete Divine) can cast 2nd level Ranger spells. Actually, you might be better off with just a Consecrated Harrier 1 dip, and just use wand chambers with a wand of swift haste. How about:

1) Barbarian 1. Feat: TWF. Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy ACF.
2) Battle Dancer 1. Bonus: IUS.
3) Swashbuckler 1. Feat: Touchstone (Oxyrhynchus). Bonus: Weapon Finesse.
4) Ranger 1. Bonus: Track.
5) Warblade 1.
6) Fighter 1. Feat: Snap Kick. Bonus: Improved TWF. Hit-and-Run ACF.
7) Fighter 2. Bonus: Martial Study (Cloak of Deception).
8) Fighter 3.
9) Fighter 4. Feat: Shadow Blade. Bonus: Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance).
10) Consecrated Harrier 1.

That would be 8 attacks: 2 iterative, 2 offhand, 1 whirling frenzy, 1 oxyrhynchus, 1 snap kick, 1 haste.

Moving on, I don't know of any other ways to get her where she needs to be. I don't know any way to make her weapons Monk weapons, and she has cute little armor to wear, so Monk is probably not an option.

Well, Unorthodox Flurry (Dragon Compendium) can make a shortsword count as a monk weapon... but why do you need monk weapons?

Malapterus
2018-10-24, 11:44 AM
If I am trying to keep it simple I think Ranger works. I don't want to rely too much on gear.

With that said, RAW, it seems like if you have a Speed weapon in one hand and a non-speed in the other, the bonus attack from the Speed weapon would trigger an off-hand bonus attack, as would the effects of Haste.

Since its a whole new attack and not part of your BaB.

Darrin
2018-10-24, 03:46 PM
If I am trying to keep it simple I think Ranger works. I don't want to rely too much on gear.

1. Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Track.
2. Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF.
3. Fighter 1. Feat: Superior Unarmed Strike. Bonus: Improved Unarmed Strike.
4. Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance.
5. Ranger 4.
6. Ranger 5. Feat: Touchstone (Oxyrhynchus).
7. Ranger 6. Bonus: Improved TWF.
8. Ranger 7.
9. Ranger 8. Feat: Snap Kick.
10. Barbarian 1. Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy ACF.

That should still be 8 attacks: 2 iterative, 2 offhand, 1 whirling frenzy, 1 oxyrhynchus, 1 snap kick, 1 haste.

Florian
2018-10-24, 08:02 PM
Hm... Are you willing to back port some Pathfinder stuff? Sword and board TWF is a feat intensive but extremely effective combat style, especially once you have the key elements in place to trigger additional attacks.