PDA

View Full Version : Throat slot item priority?

danielxcutter
2018-10-24, 09:24 AM
Okay... so is it just me, or are there way too many items competing for that slot? Even in core, there's the Periapt of Wisdom, Amulet of Health, and the Amulet of Natural Armor, and out of core there's stuff like the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis... So, uh, how much is that a problem and what should I keep in mind which to choose?

This is a more general thing than for a character, so feel free to add your 2 cp.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-24, 09:28 AM
Use the MIC to add item properties to your stat item(s). I find that, certain very specific, incredibly useful effects aside, items with lots of lower level effects are better than one very expensive effect. Immunities and ablatives, mainly.

I usually go with a necklace of adaptation (several very useful immunities for cheap) + stat booster + stacked chronocharms (several of which can be worn simultaneously) with several daily charges added + (greater) collar of umbral metamorphosis. Maybe the polymorph necklace, if I have particularly weak physical stats or need a particular form for Assume Supernatural Ability shenanigans. I don't typically play divine casters (though a spell-point druid would not be amiss), but a strand of beads of karma is REALLY nice for that.

[edit] Oh, and the MIC has a number of variably-slotted stat items, for those who want their Con bonus on a belt, say, which has far fewer items vying for it.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-24, 05:39 PM
OK.

Aside from the above advice, and in games where magic item stacking isn't allowed, I find that priorities are somewhat level dependent. On the low end, cheap defensive and utility items take precedence over most other options. Chronocharms and spellsink scarabs are nice. At mid levels,you start looking at more specialized options for your class/build. Just using your examples: Full Divine Caster? Periapt of Wisdom. Front liner? Amulet of Health. Squishy? Amulet of Natural Armor. Sneaky? Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. At higher levels, it's usually just building on whatever you've already got going on. Bigger stat bonuses, improved versions of previous equipment, etc.

Thurbane
2018-10-24, 05:59 PM
It's usually overkill, but the Belt of Magnificence (MH p.42) frees up slots for other ability booster items by giving bonuses to ALL ability scores, and only taking up the waist slot.

+2: 25,000gp; +4 100,000gp; +6: 200,000gp.

danielxcutter
2018-10-25, 09:19 AM
Use the MIC to add item properties to your stat item(s). I find that, certain very specific, incredibly useful effects aside, items with lots of lower level effects are better than one very expensive effect. Immunities and ablatives, mainly.

I usually go with a necklace of adaptation (several very useful immunities for cheap) + stat booster + stacked chronocharms (several of which can be worn simultaneously) with several daily charges added + (greater) collar of umbral metamorphosis. Maybe the polymorph necklace, if I have particularly weak physical stats or need a particular form for Assume Supernatural Ability shenanigans. I don't typically play divine casters (though a spell-point druid would not be amiss), but a strand of beads of karma is REALLY nice for that.

[edit] Oh, and the MIC has a number of variably-slotted stat items, for those who want their Con bonus on a belt, say, which has far fewer items vying for it.

MIC item stacking isn't always allowed - and even if it is, how common is it for a combined item with exactly the properties you want without custom crafting? Still, if you can do it, very very useful, I agree.

OK.

Aside from the above advice, and in games where magic item stacking isn't allowed, I find that priorities are somewhat level dependent. On the low end, cheap defensive and utility items take precedence over most other options. Chronocharms and spellsink scarabs are nice. At mid levels,you start looking at more specialized options for your class/build. Just using your examples: Full Divine Caster? Periapt of Wisdom. Front liner? Amulet of Health. Squishy? Amulet of Natural Armor. Sneaky? Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. At higher levels, it's usually just building on whatever you've already got going on. Bigger stat bonuses, improved versions of previous equipment, etc.

Hmm. Fair, but just one question: what about a melee Cleric? Full divine caster *and* frontliner.

It's usually overkill, but the Belt of Magnificence (MH p.42) frees up slots for other ability booster items by giving bonuses to ALL ability scores, and only taking up the waist slot.

+2: 25,000gp; +4 100,000gp; +6: 200,000gp.

Depends a bit on the build - do you gain at least useful bonuses from the universal boosts? Most characters don't, but for the ones who do(and can afford it), great, especially at late levels when there's a good amount of gold you can spend. At least, I assume.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-25, 09:47 AM
For melee cleric, still go for the wisdom boost. Their spells usually do most of the heavy lifting for melee combat, so having more/more effective spells will do more good in the long run than a few more hp. Plus you have direct access to healing making constitution slightly less of a priority

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-10-25, 10:19 AM
MIC item stacking isn't always allowed - and even if it is, how common is it for a combined item with exactly the properties you want without custom crafting? Still, if you can do it, very very useful, I agree.Note that the MIC has stacking rules, whereas the DMG has guidelines, but if the DM doesn't allow it, s/he doesn't allow it. But if you can commission magic item creation, getting what you want is quite easy.

death390
2018-10-25, 12:25 PM
it is hard to get what is all needed when stacking isn't allowed (i understand the DMG guidelines not being allowed since that is custom creation rather than stacking though). i personally did this with a body slot item, shimerweave + vest of resistance +1,