PDA

View Full Version : Low tier gestalts/new tier system

Gnaeus
2018-10-24, 12:15 PM
So, I have, in the past, built supergestalts of all the tier 5 classes, or all the tier 4&5 classes, to compare with high tiers.

Given the retiering process, I was asked about how I thought they held up.

My short answer is that very little changes. I would still put a gestalt of all the tier 5 classes at the very top of tier 3. The changes weren’t huge.

The Tier 4&5 ubergestalt I still think ranks above most tier 1s in power level, at most character levels and optimization levels. It lost psychic rogue, Warlock, Healer and Warmage, but absorbed Shadowcaster and Incarnate, which I think will fill much of the lost territory. In any event, not much changes besides the spell lists, so if you care you can review all the old threads and just swap spells as appropriate and make your own call. I would certainly feel happy, if not guilty, playing one.

But in support of that argument, upon consideration, I will make a stronger claim. I think gestalts of 6, Tier 4-5 classes can play on a tier 1 level in 90+% of games.

Here are the assumptions I make for that claim.
Tier 1s have abilities that destroy games. Those will be stopped by some combination of houserules, nerfs, campaign considerations or Gentlemen’s agreements. Not for any balance reasons, assuming a group with 0 balance concerns at all. Simply a group that wants to play D&D. So, for example, no selling walls of salt or mounts. Anything that causes infinite wealth will be stopped. Loops will be stopped. Arbitrarily high ability scores will be stopped. PCs will be expected/will desire to play the game themselves, as opposed to sitting outside a dungeon deploying waves of minions. Some cap on number of pets will be employed to keep combats functional and keep spotlight on PCs. Most play time will be spent murderhoboing hostile areas, and tricks that bypass that (like scrying the boss and teleporting/earthgliding to him and leaving) will be short circuited by above methods. Assume that the players actually want to play the game the DM designed and will not evade his dungeons for lols.

Assume all sources. Assume a competitive, greedy party, working together for mutual benefit. So the wizard won’t Polymorph you unless he feels like it is his best strategy in that combat. The Druid won’t spare a barkskin unless you hand him a level 2 pearl of power or give him a similar buff. All the casters have crafting feats that they pool with other PCs with crafting feats, so if you can throw into the crafting pot you can expect about 150% WBL with the specific gear your team can make, which should be most everything.

Assume that the DM has rules mastery equivalent to the players, and wants difficult encounters pegged to challenge clever T1 players, so monsters will be intelligent, and often include templates, class levels, and or buffs, and boss fights will commonly include spellcasters. Assume awesome PRCs like incantrix or planar Shepherd but not broken ones like beholder mage. (Assume that we can PRC also but only with one part of the gestalt and only with classes that clearly don’t top T4) Assume that the Tier 1s usually but not always have good but incomplete intel on their targets, so they know they are fighting a building of ninjas but there may still be surprises. Assume the party varies from 3-7 PCs across the campaign, always has at least 2 well played T1s, and never has anything weaker than a highly optimized high T3. Basically, assume the highest optimization environment that doesn’t rewrite the default assumptions of what is D&D.

Assume that for comparison, we want our gestalt to have spotlight time (earned, not given to him). He must be able to compete with the T1s across combat and noncombat encounters. He must exceed the T1s in general competence for as many levels as they exceed his. Assume that you will be mercilessly mocked for perceived weakness and if it happens too much you will be booted.

(Note, the lower we place the optimization level, the less low tier classes we need to play on a level playing ground. These assumptions aren’t far from what my group plays at. I think of them as the lower end of high op. I think anything above this and you are really straining the base assumptions about what D&D means, and I think very few groups actually play much higher op than that).

Under those assumptions, again, I think 6 synergistic classes are approximately equal to T1. Something like Divine Mind//spellthief//Ranger//Shadowcaster//Incarnate//Hexblade. Or Samurai//Marshall//Truenamer//Shadowcaster//Rogue//Zhentarim Fighter.

Pretty much any functioning gestalt on that level needs full BAB. 6+ skill points. All good saves. A wide array of special defenses. A good strategy for action economy. And at least 2 of the 4 low tier heavy lifting classes (Adapt, Incarnate, Shadowcaster, Marshall + Truenamer). There are, IMO, probably dozens of playable options.

Shadowcaster is very impressive for a T4. I see how it got there. It doesn’t have enough powers known, or powers/day, and most of its tricks are less flexible than high tier tricks and the whole is less flexible than a T2. But it does have full caster level and a lot of good tricks that T1 casters would take if they could. Like shadow evocation (or greater) as a 4th (or 6th) level spell. And a lot of other top level powers that a sorcerer would consider, like plane shift and time stop at the right levels.

Truenamer, with Marshall, is very worthwhile at that opti fu level. Blowing out skill checks that key off Int+cha is easy, when you assume that you will have crafted gear. And some of their tricks, like boosting an ally’s CL or giving free metamagic, are things a T1 really wants in their team. It’s a bit embarrassing being a buffbot for higher tiers. But it’s unquestionably useful, and you should be able to negotiate good stuff for it. (And at level 20 you are back to T1 status with free gate).

Adept, other than giving a full BAB all good saves skillmonkey familiar, brings a number of solid T1-2 spells at levels close to when the arcanists get them, like mirror image and animate dead at the same level as the sorc. Yeah, you don’t get nearly enough uses, but you have them when they matter. Sadly it’s wis based, and you probably want to be cha/Int. But there are other good wisdom classes available.

Incarnate gives skill buffs that turn your contested rolls into autosuccesses, when in combination with Marshall and a skillmonkey class. Also flexible defenses, movement modes, and counters to tricks that often gimp low tiers like invisibility. It can’t do a lot by itself, so again, not arguing the tier. But a very strong gestalt, made even better by the fact that we probably don’t mind having a good Constitution.

Ok. I used my spellthief levels to steal 🔥 resistance. So flame on.

zfs
2018-10-24, 01:15 PM
What's your feel about the Generic classes? Personally I think since they're meant to completely replace the other base classes, they don't really belong in this exercise. But if they do, Generic Warrior is almost certainly going to be Tier 4, and 11 free feats that don't have to come from a specific list of bonus feats would be pretty helpful to most builds.

Gnaeus
2018-10-24, 01:16 PM
So, for one listed example, Divine Mind//Hexblade//Spellthief//Ranger//Shadowcaster//incarnate. Stats: cha>Int/con>wis/dex/str

Level 1.
Fundamentals: arrow of dusk, black candle, sight obscured
Mystery: bend perspective
Hexblades curse
1d6 sneak attack, stealspell
Favored enemy:arcanists
Track
Wild empathy
Time mantle
Bloodwar gauntlets and bluesteel bracers

So, I’m a cha character with handle animal and wild empathy. Murderous dogs has to be a consideration. I’ve got +4 initiative (over dex, basically equal to improved init feat), giving +2 to the characters next to me. I’ve got good stealth, coupled with sneak attack and ranged touches, so 2d4+1d6+1 if I can fire from stealth. My melds and my mantle both add to melee attacks so I should do solid damage with a glaive, despite my likely mediocre strength. I’ll keep a breastplate or chain shirt in my pack and put it on if I use most of my shadow tricks. Clearly ahead of most T1s on skill use. Packing poor mans clairvoyance.

Way ahead of a T1 at this stage. 2 is even better. I’ll make a level 4 build in a bit.

Gnaeus
2018-10-24, 01:18 PM
What's your feel about the Generic classes? Personally I think since they're meant to completely replace the other base classes, they don't really belong in this exercise. But if they do, Generic Warrior is almost certainly going to be Tier 4, and 11 free feats that don't have to come from a specific list of bonus feats would be pretty helpful to most builds.

I’m not going to use them for analysis. I think they only help me if I do. Because I can use their feats to just pick class abilities I can’t get elsewhere.

Gnaeus
2018-10-24, 02:55 PM
Level 4
Mysteries:
Fundamentals as above + Umbral hand (better mage hand)
Bend perspective (like clairvoyance), piercing sight (see invisible)
Life fades (5d6 + fatigue touch), flesh fails (ability damage)
Hexblade spells (1/day) distract assailant, hideous laughter
Ranger spell: Longstrider
Spellthief spells (1/day): mage Armor, protection from evil
Soulmelds: impulse boots (Bound), bluesteel Bracers (2 essence), dissolving spittle, Adamant pauldrons (2 essence)

Feats: path focus:touch of twilight, track, endurance, two weapon fighting, darkstalker (1), Crafting Feat(3)

Defenses: all good saves. + cha to saves. +cha again to saves vs spells and spell likes +1 more on saves vs spells. Mettle, steal spell effect, steal energy resistance, evasion, uncanny dodge, light fortification, DR2/chaotic
Offenses: sneak attack, stealspell, favored enemy arcanists
Miscellaneous: detect magic, Divine mind aura (10 foot radius, +1 all attacks and damage, +1 reflex, +2 initiative)

Animal companion, familiar

So, the cleric now has something like 6 first, 4 second level spells, by way of comparison.

I’ve got a familiar (full BAB, all good saves, good skills, likely as many hp as the mage) on my shoulder. A universally handy party buff. Something in the area of +8 on all saves, +12 versus spells with evasion and mettle. Im likely to have energy resist whenever fighting energy using creatures. I really love fighting casters.

TWF is an inferior fighting style without damage riders. I have 2 sources of bonus damage (mantle and meld) and 2 more situational (favored enemy arcanists and sneak attack). I have a save or lose. 2 decent touch debuffs.

At this point I’m not concerned that the Druid or cleric are going to show me up in melee. My normal running status compares favorably to their full buff routines. My pets are better. My skills are better. My divination powers are solid. This is combat mode but I can easily shift to skillmonkey mode just by reallocating my soulbinds.

zfs
2018-10-24, 03:19 PM
I think at low levels the gestalt builds are going to win handily over T1's. At a level when they're worrying about limited resources before they have reliable access to methods of mitigating the limited resource problem, the gestalt has plenty of things that last all day, some nice limited resources as well, and far superior defenses and skills.

It starts to get interesting at mid-to-high levels. I'm a low tier booster, so I agree with your premise that they can compete with and even outshine some T1's all the way to Level 20. But those comparisons will be a lot more competitive.

The Shadowmind
2018-10-25, 12:43 AM
So what should the stat block for the T4, T5, and the T4+5 group looks like at levels 1,5,10,15?

Gnaeus
2018-10-25, 05:36 AM
So what should the stat block for the T4, T5, and the T4+5 group looks like at levels 1,5,10,15?

Here’s the old T4g thread. Starting on the page with the 5 and 10 version. Again, since nothing changed but the top spell lists and it was a ton of work I’m not redoing it all. I’m happy to discuss it though. I’ll edit to link the thread with the tier 5s in a bit

I will look at the 6 class gestalt again at 8 12 and 16.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321668-Which-is-better-a-T1-or-a-gestalt-of-all-T4-and-below-classes/page9&highlight=T4g

Gnaeus
2018-10-26, 12:55 PM
So, level 8. A bit tougher. The druid is wildshaping with natural spell. The T1s have 4th level spells, likely have entered PRCs. What can I do?

Divine Mind//Hexblade//Spellthief//Ranger//Shadowcaster//incarnate
Silverbrow Human
Stats:
Str 10
Dex 12
Con 14 +2 item =16
Int 14
Wis 12 +2 item =14
Cha 16 (+2 level)=18+2 item =20
Initiative +5 competence (Primal Instinct), +1 dex, +2 Time Aura, +2 time mantle, +2 bluesteel Bracers=+12
AC 15 (Mage armor + dex):
Reflex +6 base +1 dex +1 time aura +5 cha=+13 (+19 vs spells, +18 vs spell likes)
Fort +6 base +3 con +5 cha=+14 (+20 vs spells +19 vs spell likes)
Will +6 base +2 will +5 cha=+13 (+19 vs spells, +18 v spell likes)
HP 13 at level 1 +8/level =69
Longsword +1 (TWF), +10/5 1d8+9 (19-20x3, +4 to confirm)
Mw handaxe(TWF), +10/+5 1d6+8 (20x4+4 to confirm)
Dragon Tail (secondary) +6 1d8+5 (20x3, +4 to confirm)
Feats: path focus: touch of twilight, dark reflections, track, endurance, two weapon fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, darkstalker (1), crafting feat(3), Level 1 feat) (Human), Improved Familiar (imp) (6), Spell Penetration,

Skills: (88 points, max 11)
Survival 1 rank +2 wis (+5 Primal Instinct) =+8
Knowledge: Local 1 rank +2 int (+5 Primal Instinct)=+8
Handle Animal 1 rank +5 cha =+6
Climb 1 rank (+5 Primal hunter)=+6
Jump 0 rank (+5 Primal Hunter)=+5
Swim 1 rank (+5 Primal Hunter)=+6
Disguise 1 rank +5 cha (+2 Silverbrow)=+8
Escape Artist 1 rank +1 dex (+3 freedom aura)=+5
Spot 1 rank +2 Wisdom =+3
Listen 1 rank +2 wisdom =+3
Spellcraft 1 rank +2 int =+3
Ride 1 rank +1 dex =+2
Search 11 ranks +2 int =+13
Hide 11 ranks +1 dex =+12
Move Silently 11 ranks +1 dex =+12
Disable Device 11 ranks +1 dex =+12
Open Locks 11 ranks +1 dex =+12
Concentration 11 ranks +3 con =+14
UMD 11 ranks +5 cha =+16

Hexblade spells: L1 (3/day) Expeditious Retreat, Phantom Threat, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter (DC 16), Mount
L2 (1/day): Touch of Idiocy, Mirror Image
Spellthief Spells: L1 (3/day) Mage Armor, Protection From Evil, Shield, Silent Image (DC 16)
L2 (1/day) Alter Self, Glitterdust
Ranger spells: L1 Primal Hunter, Longstrider
L2: Primal Instinct
Divine Mind Powers (power points 10 (level) +8 (wisdom), +2 Psionic Talent=20) : Dimension Hop (1), Deceleration (1), Hustle (2)
Soulmelds: Airstep Sandals (Foot Bind), Bluesteel Bracers (3 essence), Bloodwar gauntlets (hand bind, 3 essence), Adamant Pauldrons (2 essence), Dragon Tail
Fundamentals (each 3/day), arrow of dusk (2d4 nonlethal medium ranged touch), black candle (darkness), sight obscured (+5 hide for 8 rounds), Umbral hand (better mage hand), Caul of Shadow (+2 deflection 8 minutes)
Eye of Darkness (2/day each): Bend perspective (like clairvoyance), piercing sight (see invisible), Killing Shadows (30 cone, 8d8+2 untyped damage (Will DC 18 half))

Touch of Twilight (2/day each, cl 9): Life fades (5d6+5 + fatigue touch(fort DC 17)), flesh fails (ability damage (no save)) Umbral Touch (9 touches, 5d6+5 untyped+ slow (fort DC 19)
Dark Reflections (1/day CL 9): Shadow Evocation (DC 20)
Ebon Roads (1/day): Step into Shadow (D Door)
Feather Fall (Silverbrow Human) 2xday
Offenses: +2d6 sneak attack, 20 foot aura (+2 attack and damage, time, freedom), Favored Enemy Arcanists +4, Undead +2, incarnum aura (free action, 2/day, +2 melee attack, 8 rounds)
Defenses: Uncanny Dodge (Primal Instinct), Mettle (Hexblade), Light Fortification, DR2/chaotic
Other: Absorb Spell, Steal spell (4), Detect Magic 5/day, Steal Spell Like Ability, Steal Energy Resistance, Mantles: Time, Freedom, +10 land speed when psionically focused, Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Darkvision 30, Sustaining shadow (needs 1 meal/week), rapid meldshaping
40k WBL (approximately 150% WBL, because the team is crafting)
Cloak of Charisma +2=4000
Amulet of Wisdom +2/Con +2 =10,000
Pearl of Power 4 =16,000
Weapon +1 =2300 (32300)
MW weapon =300 (32600)
7400 gp

Notable tricks.
I go first. Nerveskitter doesnt impress me.
My Divine mind powers let me move and full attack. My 5 attack routine should look ok even next to a persist cleric or a fleshraker. I dont have a second magic weapon yet, because I plan to be using touch attacks in my off hand most of the time, since their 20 points of untyped damage + save or slow twice per round seems good. If i can sneak attack thats even better.

I have an imp. I have steal spell like ability. I have invisibility as an at will. and darkstalker.

Why do I have a level 4 pearl of power? So I can flat out duplicate almost any trick the T1s can do. You cast it in your daily buff routine? I hand you the pearl, you restore it. I steal it and cast it myself.

My level 4 powers are Shadow Evocation before the wizard can get it, and D Door on level. It isn't impossible that I'm actually the best blaster in the party between the shadow evocation and the will save aoe untyped damage blasts. (A T1 specced for blasting will beat me. But I don't really expect high op casters to specc for blasting). I even have spell penetration and elevated caster level. Not that an 8th level T1 cant bypass spell resistance.

Note that I now have iron clad saves vs spell and absorb spell. Fighting spellcasting enemies, and at this point that should be almost every fight that matters, I'm going to spend a fair bit of time throwing their spells back at them.

I have some solid will and fort save or sucks. I expect my DCs to be about 2 points behind the T1s. But I have my hexblade curse as a free action to more than compensate for that when it counts.

I have flight (meld). Fast land movement (spells and mantle). Swim (Primal and alter self).

I can use rapid meldshaping to counter unusual threats like incorporeals.

I have my low level clairvoyance effect. Commune. Enough detect magics that the entire rest of the party can likely skip it. See Invisibility.

Weaknesses: My walking around AC is poor. (of course, I have shield, alter self, and deflection buffs, so my buffed AC is great. Also, my saves, HP and DR are good).

I'm not great at minionmancy. The wiz and cleric both have animate dead. I do, however, have an imp with a lot of UMD who far surpasses the wizard's familiar. I have a spare ranger pet, probably used only for flanking.

Customization notes: This skill set is built for trapfinding. Open locks, Disable, Search. That seems like a skillset that will help a t1 group. But if we have an artificer or something else to fill that role I could just as easily have gone for social skills. Or handle animal or perception.

Ill look back in at 12. That will be harder

Lans
2018-11-08, 12:48 PM
I think it would be useful if a couple of T1 builds were provided as comparison points. Your build looks good in a vacuum but its a bit hard to tell with out a solid comparison point