PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next More magical Ranger Archetype-- Shooting Star Ranger

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-24, 12:40 PM
Shooting Star Ranger
Shooting Star Rangers serve the gods of magic by scouting, spying, and dealing with fiends and monstrosities created by magical experimentation.

Shooting Star Magic: You learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class. The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of ranger spells you know.

3rd: Detect Magic
5th: See Invisibility
9th: Counterspell
13th: Greater Invisibility
17th: Banishing Smite

Magic's Touch: At 3rd level, you learn Message, as well as two other Wizard or Druid cantrips of your choice. Wisdom is your casting ability. You also gain proficiency in Arcana, if you did not already have it.

Improved Spellcasting: At 3rd level, you gain an additional 1st level spell slot. You gain an additional 2nd level slot at 5th, a 3rd level slot at 9th, a 4th level slot at 13th, and a 5th level slot at 17th. During a long rest, you may choose one Ranger spell you know and replace it with another spell from the Ranger list, which must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellbreaker: Beginning at 7th level, when you are targeted by a spell, you may use a reaction to grant yourself and all other targets a bonus to their armor class or saving throw (whichever is relevant) equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Shooting Star Strike: Beginning at 11th level, after casting a Ranger spell or cantrip, you may make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

Word of Recall: Beginning at 15th level, when you are targeted by an attack, you may use your reaction to teleport 10ft, adding your Wisdom modifier to your AC against that attack and potentially causing it to miss. Once per long rest, you may cast Word of Recall.

jiriku
2018-11-16, 12:49 PM
I see why you got little feedback. Very tight construction, very simple outline. One of the things I really like about your homebrew classes is how clean and elegant so many of them are. They get right to the point with flavorful, well-balanced abilities that are simple to use and understand. I wish I could 'brew like that; I usually have to revise my stuff again and again to weed out complexity because my ideas just have too many moving parts.

So, the only thing about the shooting star ranger that gives me pause is the level 15 ability. A reactive teleport would be right at home in 3.5 but seems to have vanished from the landscape in 5e. Do I correctly understand that if you teleport away from a melee attack, you're still being attacked just with +Wis to AC, but that if you're now out of reach the attacker can't continue to attack you if it has multiple attacks? Hmm, I suppose if the attacker has move left it can just move to follow you and then continue to attack? If it's an at-will panic-button to avoid multiple attacks, this is really strong and I'm not sure it balances. But if it's just AC bonus and a free reposition once per round at the cost of your reaction, that seems fitting for 15th level.

For that matter, I'd suggest modifying the teleport to include "to a location you can see" -- short-range teleports usually seem to require that in this edition.