PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for characters?

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 12:57 PM
Hello, I wanted some character suggestion. I'm passionate about writing and creating backgrounds for characters, but totally indecisive about the mechanical part, so I wanted suggestions. The DM asked us to make two characters and that I should choose between three rolls for each. I'll leave the scrolls and I'd like some ideas about the mechanical part. If you can help me with this part the creation of lore will be much easier!

Character one
a) 15 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 9 / 10
b) 14 / 9 / 16 / 11 / 9 / 13
c) 14 / 12 / 14 / 12 / 12 / 11

Character two
a) 11 / 17 / 15 / 17 / 9 / 12
b) 10 / 12 / 10 / 12 / 11 / 16
c) 9 / 11 / 13 / 18 / 11 / 12

Thanks in advance for your help!

GlenSmash!
2018-10-24, 02:01 PM
It would be easier for us if you have a backstory in mind. Then we could help you build a character to suit it.

Just looking at the numbers you can be anything.

nickl_2000
2018-10-24, 02:04 PM
Let me make a suggestion here instead.

Take your overall idea of the character (just a 50,000 ft view) and tell us what you want for each character and we can give you some advice on how you can mechanically make it happen. Here are a few examples:

EX1: I want a character who uses magic to enhance his ability to beat things with a stick
EX2: I want someone who is agile, moving in and out of combat
EX3: I want a steadfast character who faces up to evil with a smile and is never afraid.

This gives us an idea of what you are looking for, then you can flesh out the backstory and background and choose which idea fits in best.

Also in that, tell us what style you enjoy playing or want to play.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 02:45 PM
What I initially thought of was creating two characters that were a complete opposite of one another. One would be a good person and the other a bad character. For that, initially I thought of a paladin and a hexblade. The two would be Aasimar and probably brothers who were lost throughout their lives. I discarded this idea because I really do not feel like playing paladin. I thought of doing then a Fighter hexblade and a spy. But I actually had problems with how to fit one into the other's story. I have no idea how to create a spy that is not totally useless in combat. I then thought of a necromancer, but a necromancer and a hexblade fighter did not look exactly the opposite I wanted. I then thought of doing something different, like a Goblin fighter, but I could not find a motif that would make a Goblin with a sword traveling alone for faerun to stay alive. So I came to the conclusion that I had nothing in mind to create and so I came to ask for help.

Louro
1) Lone Scout
Nimble and wise scout human with an also nimble and wise familiar. (Ranger, druid, cleric, Find familiar feat)

2) Professional dedicated fighter
Good armour, shield and a backpack exclusively designed to carry a good variety of weapons for every situation: shortsword, longsword, battle axe, morningstar, spear, bow, daggers and a sling.

3) Evoker wizard scared of transmutation (because whatever...)
He won't EVER pick or learn a transmutation spell. Negotiate with DM for a small advantage detecting or dispelling transmutation effects.

4) Puppeteer
Ubber lazy halfling whose way of life is to persuade/trick people to get them do things for him.

5) Rincewind

Mr.Spastic
For your second character you should play a human or a half elf and use the first set of stats. I'd recommend a paladin because you have a great spread of stats. I'd go variant human with the Resilience feat in Con for spell concentration. The end result would be this...

Paladin Human 1 HP:14 AC:18(Chain mail and shield)
Stats
Str-18 -hit stuff hard
Dex-11
Con-18 -hp man
Int-9 -You could switch this with dex but saves against blast spells would be rough
Wis-12 -for resisting Charm
Cha-16 -paladin abilities and talking skills

Sense Evil 4/day
Lay on hands 5hp

Weapon choice depends on desired fighting style at level two
Longsword or a warhammer for 1d8+4 damage
Alternately you could use a greatsword for 2d6+4 damage but a 16 AC

Edit: I didn't see that you didn't want to play a paladin

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 02:52 PM
If you are playing aasimar I would recommend the Divine Soul sorcerer for one and Hexblade Warlock for the other. Both get charisma but one could be a fallen or scourge aasimar and the other could be protector.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 02:56 PM
1) Lone Scout
Nimble and wise scout human with an also nimble and wise familiar. (Ranger, druid, cleric, Find familiar feat)

2) Professional dedicated fighter
Good armour, shield and a backpack exclusively designed to carry a good variety of weapons for every situation: shortsword, longsword, battle axe, morningstar, spear, bow, daggers and a sling.

3) Evoker wizard scared of transmutation (because whatever...)
He won't EVER pick or learn a transmutation spell. Negotiate with DM for a small advantage detecting or dispelling transmutation effects.

4) Puppeteer
Ubber lazy halfling whose way of life is to persuade/trick people to get them do things for him.

5) Rincewind

I liked the ideas, although I did not know what a "rincewind".

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-24, 03:00 PM
For your "Spy":

Warlock with the Mask of Many Faces Invocation + Actor Feat. I played one of these with a Great Old One patron. He gave me power and meaning, so I gave him all the knowledge he could drink. I spied on kingdoms, my family, and even my fellow adventurers. I also leveled into Swashbuckler, Darkness and Devil's Sight, to make me a murderous and mobile assassin in combat.

For the antithesis, the "Sage":

Monk, grabbing Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and Magic Stone, maxing out Wisdom over Dexterity. You level into the Way of the Four Elements. Now you're a melee fighter who has little need for much Dexterity, as all of your abilities scale with Wisdom. Your AC, special elemental effects, your quarterstaff attacks, your magic stones all use the same Wisdom stat, so you can be a kind, wise old monk that can stun giant monsters with ease. The only issue is that your unarmed strikes won't be as efficient since they rely strictly on Dexterity. Additional Dexterity will help, as it'll improve your unarmed strikes and increase your AC further, but it can now healthily be a secondary or tertiary stat. The reduced Dexterity and initiative makes sense thematically, since you're an old man.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 03:04 PM
For your second character you should play a human or a half elf and use the first set of stats. I'd recommend a paladin because you have a great spread of stats. I'd go variant human with the Resilience feat in Con for spell concentration. The end result would be this...

Paladin Human 1 HP:14 AC:18(Chain mail and shield)
Stats
Str-18 -hit stuff hard
Dex-11
Con-18 -hp man
Int-9 -You could switch this with dex but saves against blast spells would be rough
Wis-12 -for resisting Charm
Cha-16 -paladin abilities and talking skills

Sense Evil 4/day
Lay on hands 5hp

Weapon choice depends on desired fighting style at level two
Longsword or a warhammer for 1d8+4 damage
Alternately you could use a greatsword for 2d6+4 damage but a 16 AC

Edit: I didn't see that you didn't want to play a paladin

I really like this ideia. My problem with a paladin is that I have one of revenge and one of devotion so I do not know how to mount another, of another oath, without seeming repetitive. I thought of a multiplayer paladin with a warlock, but I wonder, "Why would a good paladin make a pact in exchange for power?" What comes to my mind is that he would do it if he were someone who got tired of the fight given by his god. But then, again I would fall into the category that I would not know how to "connect" with a counterpoint. But I liked the idea of sorcerer!

GlenSmash!
2018-10-24, 03:07 PM
The Spy Background (Criminal variant) can make any class a spy, and therefore any Spy can be good at combat. It also comes with the very useful Thieve's Tools proficiency.

I had a player play Spy Dex Champion fighter that contributed just fine.

As Man_Over_Game said the great Old One Patron makes a great spy, maybe the best even.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 03:10 PM
For your "Spy":

Warlock with the Mask of Many Faces Invocation + Actor Feat. I played one of these with a Great Old One patron. He gave me power and meaning, so I gave him all the knowledge he could drink. I spied on kingdoms, my family, and even my fellow adventurers. I also leveled into Swashbuckler, Darkness and Devil's Sight, to make me a murderous and mobile assassin in combat.

Monk, grabbing Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and Magic Stone, maxing out Wisdom over Dexterity. You level into the Way of the Four Elements. Now you're a melee fighter who has little need for much Dexterity, as all of your abilities scale with Wisdom. Your AC, special elemental effects, your quarterstaff attacks, your magic stones all use the same Wisdom stat, so you can be a kind, wise old monk that can stun giant monsters with ease. The only issue is that your unarmed strikes won't be as efficient since they rely strictly on Dexterity. Additional Dexterity will help, as it'll improve your unarmed strikes and increase your AC further, but it can now healthily be a secondary or tertiary stat. The reduced Dexterity and initiative makes sense thematically, since you're an old man.

Man, I really enjoyed it! Could you help me choose and organize the attributes for this proposal, besides the progression? How many of Warlock and how many rogue levels?

The other would be a full monk? Way of the Four Elements is a good way? Because I always see my friends speak ill of him.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-24, 03:24 PM
Man, I really enjoyed it! Could you help me choose and organize the attributes for this proposal, besides the progression? How many of Warlock and how many rogue levels?

The other would be a full monk? Way of the Four Elements is a good way? Because I always see my friends speak ill of him.

People speak ill of the 4 Elements Monk due to the high ki costs and risk of spending the spell slots. This is likely due to most monks treating Dexterity as a primary stat and Wisdom as a tertiary stat.

Try playing a spellcaster with 13 in your spellcasting stat, and tell me how good things are. That's what most monks try to do, and then they don't understand why everything fails on them.

With this route, you can comfortably put your third best stat into Dexterity instead, and put your highest stat into Wisdom. It's a bit different, but you'll be able to land very powerful effects on your enemies.

-----------------------------

I'm not terribly sure exactly what the A/B/C options are on your list. Are those the different distributions you're allowed to use for each character?

For the Rogue/Warlock, I'd recommend:

Rogue 1
Warlock 1
Warlock 2
Warlock 3
Rogue/Warlock +

The Rogue 1 will get you the most amount of skills, as well as the armor you'll need. Make sure you pick up Actor now as a Variant Human.
A safe option to keep you far from dangerous combat is to invest in the Mastermind rather than the Swashbuckler. I had to go Swashbuckler as it was the only real option, and Xanathar's came out just after I made that choice (was a bit bummed out, honestly). The Warlock won't have too many things that interfere with the bonus action uses of the Mastermind, so it works out well.

Stat-wise, it really depends on whether your plan on being more spellcaster/suave, or more ranged assassin/sneak. If you decide to main with Charisma and Warlock, you can choose either range (and go Great Old One) or go melee (and go Hexblade). If you decide to main with Dexterity, the Swashbuckler (Melee) or Mastermind (Ranged) will be your best choices.

The Sage will go strictly 4 Elements. I wouldn't bother doing anything else with it, it'll already be cool enough.

Maxilian
2018-10-24, 03:26 PM

Wouldn't this work better with a Fighter (same theme of WIS based), as you won't damage your damage output(huehue) that much, as with Monk, you're expected to use your bonus action attack almost all turns you make an attack, so that one alone will push your damage back down (As you lack the DEX for it), that way you can still keep the Wise Old man theme and still be as effective as anyone else in combat (also Fighters get more ASIS, so you can easily give it more "non-optimized" options without pushing back most of your character progress

Wildarm
2018-10-24, 03:27 PM
Hello, I wanted some character suggestion. I'm passionate about writing and creating backgrounds for characters, but totally indecisive about the mechanical part, so I wanted suggestions. The DM asked us to make two characters and that I should choose between three rolls for each. I'll leave the scrolls and I'd like some ideas about the mechanical part. If you can help me with this part the creation of lore will be much easier!

Character one
a) 15 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 9 / 10
b) 14 / 9 / 16 / 11 / 9 / 13
c) 14 / 12 / 14 / 12 / 12 / 11

Character two
a) 11 / 17 / 15 / 17 / 9 / 12
b) 10 / 12 / 10 / 12 / 11 / 16
c) 9 / 11 / 13 / 18 / 11 / 12

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you're not feeling like a Paladin, you have good stats for a Mark of Sentinel V Human if your DM allows dragonmarks(or a refluffed version)

Heavy Armored Greatweapon Fighter X
18STR, 12Dex 18Con 9Int 16Wis 11Cha

Strong, Tough and Mark of Sentinel has lots of cool watch for trouble and defend your charge abilities. I listed fighter but any martial class would be fine TBH

Sacred Guardian character would be the flavor I would go for. Instead of a dragonmark, you have a divine favor from your faith.

The stat array with 18 in it would let you start with a 20 for any SAD class. Half-Elf could let you make a decent caster bard or hexblade. High elf Bladesinger would be decent too.

Maxilian
2018-10-24, 03:30 PM
Also there are some races that are, in general, seen as a counter for one another, so you could use the race to show that they are "the other side of the coin".

Like:

A) Aasimar and Tiefling, bonus point if the Tiefling is the good one :P

B) Half-Orc and Half-Elf

C) Orc and Elf

D) Any of the Underdark variants and the non-underdark variant

Aka. Drow Elves and High Elves, or Duergar and Hill Dwarfs or Forest Gnomes and Deep Gnomes, etc...

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-24, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't this work better with a Fighter (same theme of WIS based), as you won't damage your damage output(huehue) that much, as with Monk, you're expected to use your bonus action attack almost all turns you make an attack, so that one alone will push your damage back down (As you lack the DEX for it), that way you can still keep the Wise Old man theme and still be as effective as anyone else in combat (also Fighters get more ASIS, so you can easily give it more "non-optimized" options without pushing back most of your character progress

The idea behind it is the fact that Monk gets very powerful abilities that are balanced by the fact that they're on a neglected stat with a limited resource. Stunning Strike is AMAZING...until you realize it's only a 12 to save (with 12-13 Wisdom at 5)

Now let's bump that 12 to a 15 (with 18 Wisdom). That's a lot more likely to be useful. The Fighter can pull off a Wisdom-based fighter, but he still needs Strength or Dexterity for AC, and that Wisdom does nothing for any of your class features. The closest viable option would be a Samurai, who adds their Wisdom to a specific skill.

Vogie
2018-10-24, 03:43 PM
Character One: Dwarf Bear Totem Barbarian (or any other race that gives +1 or +2 to Con)
15 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 9 / 10

Character Two: presuming the 17 is in Int, EK fighter or AT Rogue, any race is fine
11 / 17 / 15 / 17 / 9 / 12

They'll have a bit of a Heavy/Sniper combo. One guy getting in the target(s) face(s) and the other one sneaking and sniping, providing a type of support

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 03:50 PM
The Spy Background (Criminal variant) can make any class a spy, and therefore any Spy can be good at combat. It also comes with the very useful Thieve's Tools proficiency.

I had a player play Spy Dex Champion fighter that contributed just fine.

As Man_Over_Game said the great Old One Patron makes a great spy, maybe the best even.

I had not thought about this side! Thank you

People speak ill of the 4 Elements Monk due to the high ki costs and risk of spending the spell slots. This is likely due to most monks treating Dexterity as a primary stat and Wisdom as a tertiary stat.

Try playing a spellcaster with 13 in your spellcasting stat, and tell me how good things are. That's what most monks try to do, and then they don't understand why everything fails on them.

With this route, you can comfortably put your third best stat into Dexterity instead, and put your highest stat into Wisdom. It's a bit different, but you'll be able to land very powerful effects on your enemies.

-----------------------------

I'm not terribly sure exactly what the A/B/C options are on your list. Are those the different distributions you're allowed to use for each character?

For the Rogue/Warlock, I'd recommend:

Rogue 1
Warlock 1
Warlock 2
Warlock 3
Rogue/Warlock +

The Rogue 1 will get you the most amount of skills, as well as the armor you'll need. Make sure you pick up Actor now as a Variant Human.
A safe option to keep you far from dangerous combat is to invest in the Mastermind rather than the Swashbuckler. I had to go Swashbuckler as it was the only real option, and Xanathar's came out just after I made that choice (was a bit bummed out, honestly). The Warlock won't have too many things that interfere with the bonus action uses of the Mastermind, so it works out well.

Stat-wise, it really depends on whether your plan on being more spellcaster/suave, or more ranged assassin/sneak. If you decide to main with Charisma and Warlock, you can choose either range (and go Great Old One) or go melee (and go Hexblade). If you decide to main with Dexterity, the Swashbuckler (Melee) or Mastermind (Ranged) will be your best choices.

The Sage will go strictly 4 Elements. I wouldn't bother doing anything else with it, it'll already be cool enough.

Each character has 3 alternative attributes. I separated the three alternatives into A / B / C to make it easier for someone to give me more "mechanical" help, telling me which attributes to choose and how to organize them.

But I really liked your idea! Thank you very much.

If you're not feeling like a Paladin, you have good stats for a Mark of Sentinel V Human if your DM allows dragonmarks(or a refluffed version)

Heavy Armored Greatweapon Fighter X
18STR, 12Dex 18Con 9Int 16Wis 11Cha

Strong, Tough and Mark of Sentinel has lots of cool watch for trouble and defend your charge abilities. I listed fighter but any martial class would be fine TBH

Sacred Guardian character would be the flavor I would go for. Instead of a dragonmark, you have a divine favor from your faith.

It's just the official books I can use. So I have no idea what "dragonmarks" and "Sacred Guardian" would be.

Also there are some races that are, in general, seen as a counter for one another, so you could use the race to show that they are "the other side of the coin".

Like:

A) Aasimar and Tiefling, bonus point if the Tiefling is the good one :P

B) Half-Orc and Half-Elf

C) Orc and Elf

D) Any of the Underdark variants and the non-underdark variant

Aka. Drow Elves and High Elves, or Duergar and Hill Dwarfs or Forest Gnomes and Deep Gnomes, etc...

So I thought about it. One of the things I was thinking about was a Aasimar and a Tiefling who were brothers. The good Tiefling and the evil Aasimar perhaps? But still, I have no idea what class I would use.

I also thought about a Drow rogue with a high elf mage, but then I can not really "connect" them. Why would they know each other? Why were your ways crossed?

Finally, I thought of a half-orc and a half-elf who would be a couple? They would suffer prejudice because of this, and that is why their ways would have separated! But again, the problem is: I have no idea what class I would use.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 03:53 PM
Character One: Dwarf Bear Totem Barbarian (or any other race that gives +1 or +2 to Con)
15 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 9 / 10

Character Two: presuming the 17 is in Int, EK fighter or AT Rogue, any race is fine

They'll have a bit of a Heavy/Sniper combo. One guy getting in the target(s) face(s) and the other one sneaking and sniping, providing a type of support

Attributes need not be in the order they are. They can be arranged according to class.

Louro
2018-10-24, 04:02 PM
I liked the ideas, although I did not know what a "rincewind".

This is Rincewind:
http://www.michaela.it/pratchett/david-jason-rincewind.jpg

He is the most powerful and useless wizard of Discworld.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-24, 04:06 PM
So I thought about it. One of the things I was thinking about was a Aasimar and a Tiefling who were brothers. The good Tiefling and the evil Aasimar perhaps? But still, I have no idea what class I would use.
The good Tiefling would probably be a Sword Bard, telling dashing tales about his heroics and his powerful brother. The Aasimar, who fell from grace, was corrupted by a dark being that he's now bonded to, making him into either a Shadow Sorcerer (The Darkness put something in me), the Gloom Stalker (I know what lurks in the dark now), or a Hexblade (I feel it, wanting me to kill, even now), depending on how much melee you want.

I also thought about a Drow rogue with a high elf mage, but then I can not really "connect" them. Why would they know each other? Why were your ways crossed?
Maybe a Drow Horizon Walker and an Abjuration Wizard High Elf. The Drow could have been some kind of planar thief (gone Criminal to get Thieves' Tools proficiency) that was being tracked down by the vault's security specialist, the Abjuration Wizard, after a magical vault was stolen from. They ended up through one last portal and couldn't find a way back. Now, they're kind of forced to be each other's companions, an unlikely duo of portal specialists.

Finally, I thought of a half-orc and a half-elf who would be a couple? They would suffer prejudice because of this, and that is why their ways would have separated! But again, the problem is: I have no idea what class I would use.

Fighter Half-Orc , Life Cleric Half-Elf.
The Fighter would use Polearm Master, using things like PAM and Sentinel to be a threat in combat.
The Cleric would use Warding Bond, Heavy Armor Mastery, and their level 6 feature to split the damage between the fighter and them, and then mitigate the damage further when it reaches the cleric.

Together, an extremely tanky and powerful duo.

Alternatively, replace the Life Cleric with a Celestial Warlock, focusing on knockback Eldritch Blasts. Just as effective.

rsm_rlb
2018-10-24, 05:31 PM
The good Tiefling would probably be a Sword Bard, telling dashing tales about his heroics and his powerful brother. The Aasimar, who fell from grace, was corrupted by a dark being that he's now bonded to, making him into either a Shadow Sorcerer (The Darkness put something in me), the Gloom Stalker (I know what lurks in the dark now), or a Hexblade (I feel it, wanting me to kill, even now), depending on how much melee you want.

Maybe a Drow Horizon Walker and an Abjuration Wizard High Elf. The Drow could have been some kind of planar thief (gone Criminal to get Thieves' Tools proficiency) that was being tracked down by the vault's security specialist, the Abjuration Wizard, after a magical vault was stolen from. They ended up through one last portal and couldn't find a way back. Now, they're kind of forced to be each other's companions, an unlikely duo of portal specialists.

Fighter Half-Orc , Life Cleric Half-Elf.
The Fighter would use Polearm Master, using things like PAM and Sentinel to be a threat in combat.
The Cleric would use Warding Bond, Heavy Armor Mastery, and their level 6 feature to split the damage between the fighter and them, and then mitigate the damage further when it reaches the cleric.

Together, an extremely tanky and powerful duo.

Alternatively, replace the Life Cleric with a Celestial Warlock, focusing on knockback Eldritch Blasts. Just as effective.

I found your ideas great! It gave me an excellent idea. A fallen Aasimar hexblade fighter and a tiefling spy bard with 3 levels of celestial warlock.

The Tiefling would have made a pact with his brother's angelic guide to get a blessing and be strong in the quest to bring his brother back on the path of good. Tiefling could have specialized in espionage to obtain information as a way to obtain resources to continue financing its search and as a way to find information about him.

Only define information for the motivations of Aasimar. And now think of how I define the attributes for them. You're a genius and I love you.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 08:21 PM

These stats are good for any character which is why I suggested Paladin as they are MAD af.

But a really fun route would be a Eldritch Knight because your intelligence could also be high. As the other side of the coin you mention I would suggest an Arcane Trickster. One is devoted to using their magic to protect others and defeat evil and the other uses magic to charm others and achieve personal goals.

14 / 12 / 14 / 12 / 12 / 11

These would be good for the trickster allowing versatility in several skills.