PDA

View Full Version : 1st level spell pillar of sand.

Spheredear
2018-10-24, 04:25 PM
Pillar of sand
Sorcerer, Wizard, Druid
1st level transmutation
60 ft
V, S, M
1 action
1 minute/Special
A pillar of sand shoots up from the whatever the ground is based on gravity. The pillar is 5 feet wide and a creature that is directly above it must make a dexterity saving throw. A creature can choose to fail this saving throw. If a creature is huge or larger, it has advantage on the roll. On a failed save, the pillar lifts the creature 5-20 feet off the ground and you can choose to dissipate it immediately or to concentrate to hold it, if a pillar is prevented from reaching its intended height because of a ceiling or other obstacle, the creature takes 2d6 bludgeoning damage and the pillar immediately dissipates and the creature falls if it can and is prone.

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd lever or higher the pillars height maximum increases by 10 feet and the bludgeoning damage increased by 1d6

Vogie
2018-10-25, 07:01 AM
Mini-bones of the earth! I like it. And decent damage as well. Doesn't look overpowered.

sandmote
2018-10-28, 04:43 PM
I would specify the pillar's base has a specific shape. From Bones of the Earth:

Each pillar is a cylinder that has a diameter of 5 feet...

I would also replace the extra damage with an extra pillar when cast at a higher level, so you can use it to hit multiple enemies or lift multiple allies out of danger. It'll still be weaker than Bones of the Earth when cast at the same level, so Pillar of Sand doesn't get rid of anything.

This stuff isn't necessary, as even the idea is really cool. There don't seem to be that many spells capable of control, damage, and utility in 5e, particularly at lower levels.