PDA

View Full Version : Shoving or pushing an object

Shadowbane13
2018-10-24, 08:48 PM
Hey guys,
So in my campaign a mini boss was hiding behind a 10x10x10 crate and the fighter wanted to shove the crate and pin the boss up against the wall between the box and the wall to help with attacks. I saw the shove ability in PH but it only describes contesting by another player or npc. Anyone have any ruling on pushing an object? I cant find anything.

Thanks

Unoriginal
2018-10-24, 08:57 PM
It's covered in the Encumberance section of the PHB. Tells you how much you can push.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 09:14 PM
Yes, you just need to know how much the crate weight. You can push up to double your carrying capacity I believe, though exceeding your carry capacity reduces your speed to 5 feet per round while pushing.

(If you want to the applicable increased resistance from friction could be added but all but the most math/physics inclined would hate this and should handwave it)

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 09:42 PM
I'd just have them roll athletics. Simple as that. If that succeed give the monster a save to not be pinned.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 09:47 PM
Why add rolls to something there's already rules for? Unless you're a straight roll player (not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea) pushing a box shouldn't require a roll unless it's close to, or exceeding your maximum drag weight.

I do agree to giving Mr badguy a saving throw to avoid the pin and be ejected to the closest empty space.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 09:54 PM
Why add rolls to something there's already rules for? Unless you're a straight roll player (not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea) pushing a box shouldn't require a roll unless it's close to, or exceeding your maximum drag weight.

I do agree to giving Mr badguy a saving throw to avoid the pin and be ejected to the closest empty space.

If the rules are a bit less known, I almost never play/run games with encumbrance, a roll is just easier than finding the rules. If I was playing a game with it I would already have my weights on hand so it wouldn't be a hassle.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 09:59 PM
Maybe it's just me but maximum carry weight has always been something everyone I play with knows. I'm not talking variant encumberance with it's restrictive and levels of encumberance, just the core 15*str that prevents your from carrying a city in your pocket.
Is it not normal for people to use this basic rule?

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:02 PM
In every game that I have played/run we have not used it. I'm not opposed to using it but most of the time the problem is solved by the time the party gets a bag of holding. I can see it's use, but we have just never had to use it.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 10:11 PM
Do you use the bag of holdings limitations? Even with a bag of holding my groups end up loosely tracking weight. (We don't care about EXACT numbers, but the 6 str wizard can't carry two sets of full plate that he's not wearing plus his gear because that's way over his max of 90 lbs)

Maybe we're weird and normal people completely ignore that piece of book keeping haha

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:20 PM
I don't know. My party keeps track of the weight in the bag so its not bottomless or anything crazy. It has just never been needed. Also why would your wizard be holding on to plate armor?

Galithar
2018-10-24, 10:26 PM
Just a random example of a heavy item off the top of my head lol
He wouldn't. He also probably wouldn't have a strength of 6 unless drained somehow as we don't roll in a manner that allows stats below 8 for PCs

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:33 PM
Fair enough. I would probably keep track ot it for a goliath or bear totem barbarian because their abilities specifically allow them to lift stuff well. So knowing whats possible is important. So as practice adivice to anybody else, You should keep track of weight limits. It can make adventuring easier when you know what you can push.

Lunali
2018-10-24, 10:48 PM
I don't know. My party keeps track of the weight in the bag so its not bottomless or anything crazy. It has just never been needed. Also why would your wizard be holding on to plate armor?

Because he killed someone wearing plate and wants to sell it for 750 gold.