PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hey all, I need help tweaking my character

Klorox
2018-10-24, 09:15 PM
I’m playing a hill dwarf tempest cleric.

I didn’t realize I’d be the only heavy armor user in my party, and everybody else seems to be a bit fragile. This has led me to (unexpectedly) be the tank of the party.

I’ve talked to my DM, and he’s agreed that I can rearrange my stats a little bit. Using 27 point buy, how would you optimize a hill dwarf tempest cleric?

I’ve just reached level 3 this session, so multiclass is a possibility, although levels 1 & 2 must be tempest cleric.

Thanks!!

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 09:23 PM

I didn’t realize I’d be the only heavy armor user in my party, and everybody else seems to be a bit fragile. This has led me to (unexpectedly) be the tank of the party.

I’ve talked to my DM, and he’s agreed that I can rearrange my stats a little bit. Using 27 point buy, how would you optimize a hill dwarf tempest cleric?

I’ve just reached level 3 this session, so multiclass is a possibility, although levels 1 & 2 must be tempest cleric.

Thanks!!

Honestly just going straight tempest cleric will suit you fine. I'd recommend healing word to heal yourself and then attack. You also get spiritual weapon which makes you a great damage dealer as well.

As for stats:

Str-14
Dex-8
Con-14 +2 for dwarf
int-10
wis-15 +1 for dwarf
cha-10

The dex, int, and cha can be shifted.

Tempest clerics are really a good front line fighter, especially when the get their push back ability and divine strike.

Your hp is already front line material, 12 at first level and 30 at third

You also punish things for hitting you which is amazing.

At fifth level you can get spirit guardians which makes your front line fighting insane.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-24, 10:32 PM
Honestly just going straight tempest cleric will suit you fine. I'd recommend healing word to heal yourself and then attack. You also get spiritual weapon which makes you a great damage dealer as well.

As for stats:

Str-14
Dex-8
Con-14 +2 for dwarf
int-10
wis-15 +1 for dwarf
cha-10

The dex, int, and cha can be shifted.

Tempest clerics are really a good front line fighter, especially when the get their push back ability and divine strike.

Your hp is already front line material, 12 at first level and 30 at third

You also punish things for hitting you which is amazing.

At fifth level you can get spirit guardians which makes your front line fighting insane.

Pretty much this. Your already on the right track.
Dwarven Clerics in a melee oriented domain, are great tanks, and the Cleric Spell List supports this handsomely.

At 4th Level weigh the advantages of the ASI against what benefits a feat might provide. Most Clerics have multiple attributes they want to raise so that’s usually the best row to hoe so to speak.
Although grabbing Resilient (Con) is gonna be pretty nice too so you can keep that Spirit Guardians up while your in the thick of things.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:38 PM
I would recommend a strength boost a level 4 but you can do whatever. Tempest cleric was the best option for a supportive but also awesome front line. At higher levels I'd recommend getting booming blade because you divine strike would automatically move them forcing to take extra damage which would move them again. This is speculation, I would have to actually check the rules of booming blade and the tempest cleric abilities.

Galithar
2018-10-24, 10:45 PM
Booming blade only triggered RAW on voluntary movement, not forced movement.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:47 PM
Booming blade only triggered RAW on voluntary movement, not forced movement.

Thanks. I hadn't looked it up and was just hypothesizing. You would still for them back so they would have to move closer to you.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-24, 10:50 PM
Scratch all of that. The cleric does thunder damage on hit and knock back only works with lightning. I would still recommend booming blade though.

Expected
2018-10-25, 02:52 AM

Thanks!!

For 27 point buy (my preferred method to creating a character as rolling is too random), I would allocate my points like so:

STR-DEX-CON-INT-WIS-CHA

Before racial bonuses
15-8-15-8-15-8

After racial bonuses
15-8-17-8-16-8

Hill Dwarves get +1 Wis and since that is your most important score for casting, that should be at 15 before racials. STR should be 15 to wear plate armor but you're a Dwarf so you don't have to if you don't mind minor penalties. Since you'll be wearing heavy armor, you can safely dump DEX and allocate it to STR, CON, and WIS. You're also the tank, so you'll need heavy armor proficiency (granted by the Tempest Domain) and high CON, hence the 17. It will also help you to have higher HP and better concentration saves for what I'm about to suggest.

Since you are the tank and a Cleric, I strongly suggest using a shield (+2 AC), a one-handed STR weapon of your choice (or any magic weapon), and choosing Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon so you can be in the middle of the fight and give enemies incentive to attack you--they're movement is affected and may be forced to attack the only enemy in reach (you). You have Spiritual Weapon for your bonus actions. It is better to mitigate damage than to try and out-heal it so focus on damaging the enemies and keeping them in Spirit Guardians.

For feats, choose Resilient (CON) for proficiency in CON saves and +1 CON. You can also take War Caster so you have advantage on concentration checks but with such a high CON, you might not need it. If you decide not to take War Caster, make sure to brand your holy symbol on your shield or wear it as a necklace so you can cast while having your hands occupied. If you don't like going last (8 DEX), then get the Alert feat for +5 to your initiative rolls. In my opinion, however, going last is beneficial for a healer/tank that doesn't rely on Rage or other features to mitigate damage and you can cast Spirit Guardians after the enemies clump together near your frontline allies.

You didn't mention your plans for your character past level 3 (unless I'm mistaken and missed something), so I would go straight to Tempest Cleric 5 for the ASI/feat and level 3 spells (Spirit Guardians).

Klorox
2018-10-25, 05:52 AM
For 27 point buy (my preferred method to creating a character as rolling is too random), I would allocate my points like so:

STR-DEX-CON-INT-WIS-CHA

Before racial bonuses
15-8-15-8-15-8

After racial bonuses
15-8-17-8-16-8

Hill Dwarves get +1 Wis and since that is your most important score for casting, that should be at 15 before racials. STR should be 15 to wear plate armor but you're a Dwarf so you don't have to if you don't mind minor penalties. Since you'll be wearing heavy armor, you can safely dump DEX and allocate it to STR, CON, and WIS. You're also the tank, so you'll need heavy armor proficiency (granted by the Tempest Domain) and high CON, hence the 17. It will also help you to have higher HP and better concentration saves for what I'm about to suggest.

Since you are the tank and a Cleric, I strongly suggest using a shield (+2 AC), a one-handed STR weapon of your choice (or any magic weapon), and choosing Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon so you can be in the middle of the fight and give enemies incentive to attack you--they're movement is affected and may be forced to attack the only enemy in reach (you). You have Spiritual Weapon for your bonus actions. It is better to mitigate damage than to try and out-heal it so focus on damaging the enemies and keeping them in Spirit Guardians.

For feats, choose Resilient (CON) for proficiency in CON saves and +1 CON. You can also take War Caster so you have advantage on concentration checks but with such a high CON, you might not need it. If you decide not to take War Caster, make sure to brand your holy symbol on your shield or wear it as a necklace so you can cast while having your hands occupied. If you don't like going last (8 DEX), then get the Alert feat for +5 to your initiative rolls. In my opinion, however, going last is beneficial for a healer/tank that doesn't rely on Rage or other features to mitigate damage and you can cast Spirit Guardians after the enemies clump together near your frontline allies.

You didn't mention your plans for your character past level 3 (unless I'm mistaken and missed something), so I would go straight to Tempest Cleric 5 for the ASI/feat and level 3 spells (Spirit Guardians).
I see no minor penalties for dwarves wearing heavy armor, regardless of strength.

CTurbo
2018-10-25, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't multiclass. Tempest Clerics are awesome!

I'd start 14 Str, 10 Dex, 17 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha

War hammer and shield

Take Res(Con) at level 4 or +2 Wis is always great. Take whichever one you didnt take at 4 at level 8.

Grab Sentinel at some point

Expected
2018-10-25, 07:18 AM
I see no minor penalties for dwarves wearing heavy armor, regardless of strength.

The minor penalties that I had in mind were the suboptimal melee attack bonus/damage. Clerics need either STR or DEX for melee combat, assuming they'll be engaging in it, (and WIS for spellcasting). In my opinion, Clerics should not be healbots but should instead be frontline support and only provide emergency or preventative healing.

As a Dwarf, you can wear heavy armor and not have it affect your movement despite not having 15 STR, however, this does not negate the need for proficiency--which Tempest Cleric provides. If you want to play a Dwarf and don heavy armor, make sure you get proficiency from your class, a feat, etc.

According to Roll20's page on Armor, "If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or Attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast Spells."

Klorox
2018-10-25, 08:16 AM
The minor penalties that I had in mind were the suboptimal melee attack bonus/damage. Clerics need either STR or DEX for melee combat, assuming they'll be engaging in it, (and WIS for spellcasting). In my opinion, Clerics should not be healbots but should instead be frontline support and only provide emergency or preventative healing.

As a Dwarf, you can wear heavy armor and not have it affect your movement despite not having 15 STR, however, this does not negate the need for proficiency--which Tempest Cleric provides. If you want to play a Dwarf and don heavy armor, make sure you get proficiency from your class, a feat, etc.

According to Roll20's page on Armor, "If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or Attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast Spells."
Oh ok. I assumed you meant the speed since you mentioned 15 STR.

99% of the time, my character has used sacred flame or toll the dead rather than make an attack.

The only time it’s different is if I plan on using healing word, where I swing my warhammer and cast it as a bonus action.