PDA

View Full Version : Question about choices for a Justicar

SandDemon
2007-09-18, 12:41 PM
Hey all,

I've made a ranger/barbarian half-ogre who plans on becoming a Justicar and just looking for some good advice on feats I might want to consider. I got track and two-handed fighting from being a ranger so I took skill focus (gather information) since it's required and improved unarmed strike (since the prestige class seems to like using grapple).

Any thoughts on other "must have" feats for a Justicar? I've been thinking Earth's Embrace from Complete Warrior might be nice.

here's the character sheet if interested: http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1229

blue_fenix
2007-09-18, 12:50 PM
I would suggest you choose the ranged combat option for the ranger instead of two-weapon-fighting. Wielding a two-handed weapon with Power Attack is significantly more effective than TWF with less feats required, and you may get some use out of the one or two ranged feats you get from Ranger if your DM ever sticks you in a situation where ranged attacks are needed. Also, the later TWF feats have a dex requirement you probably won't meet.

Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple are great when you're fighting things near your size, not so much against colossal dragons and such.

Also, noticed you're using Merciful weapons, nice choice for a justicar, however the rules state that you must have at least a +1 numerical magic enhancement before adding a magical effect like Merciful. Trade up to a single +1 or +2 Merciful Warhammer, wield it two-handed and get Power Attack.

SandDemon
2007-09-18, 01:14 PM
Alright, round two then :smallbiggrin:

http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1229

I'll probably still take improved unarmed at level 6 so later on I can get earth's embrace. There's no point in taking ranged fighting style since I don't meet the dex requirements, nor do I have a desire to. I won't be taking more levels in ranger anyways, so it won't really matter....it'll get use if I fight unarmed.

What about long term feat choices though? Should I know focus down the line of Power Attack feats?

blue_fenix
2007-09-18, 01:16 PM
Looks good to me. The only thing I noticed is that you may have miscalculated your attack bonus on the weapon. The +1 enhancement bonus does not stack with the +1 to attack from being masterwork, unfortunately.

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 01:18 PM
Kiai Shout and Greater Kiai Shout, also from Complete Warrior are fun and flavorful!

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-18, 09:09 PM
Ranger Combat Style Feats don't require the requirements to be met.

Combat Style (Ex)

At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of two combat styles to pursue: archery or two-weapon combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

The benefits of the ranger’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Hazkali
2007-09-19, 08:42 AM
Favoured Enemy (Human). In fact, any ranger build should take Favoured Enemy (Human) at least once, if not twice or more (with the floating bonuses). Chances are, you're going to be fighting Orcs some of the time. The bigger chances are that in every town you go into, every tavern you stop in, every weary company you see in the road, will be teeming with humans. Even more, the criminals you're tracking down will probably be human too. Put the bonuses to good use!

Levels of the Champion of Gwynharwyf class from Exalted Deeds will allow you to deal non-lethal damage when raging, which might be useful.