PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build concept; warlock + barbarian

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-25, 10:23 AM
The title says it all.

Race is a variant human with Abyssal language and Polearm master as feat.

Build concept involves a Hexblade Warlock 5 base, losing out on some starting HP but gaining prof in cha and wisdom saves. Invocations are Devil's Sight, improved pact weapon/maddening hex, and agonizing blast.

Barbarian 7 path of the Zealot. We have had a few deaths this run and so it makes sense to remove components cost.

Ability scores:

Str 19
Dex 12
Con 14
Intelligence 10
Wis 13 (may be getting a perm party bonus of +1 soon)
Cha 18

Equipment:

Halberd of wounding with a bonus cast of darkness once per short rest.
Breastplate +1
Rod of the pact keeper +2
Gauntlets of Ogre power
Boots of elven-kind
Ring of truth telling
Potion of rad resist

Skill proficiencies:

Arcana
Intimidation
Perception
Persuasion
Stealth

Feats:

Polearm master
Great weapon master

Character specifics:

He originally started as a blind warlock. His patron asked him to gouge out his own eyes as part of their deal (not pretty). He has since gained the blindsense 60/potentially 120ft soon.

He is currently piggybacking his patron through the material plane. It is always close by him, hiding in his shadow or lurking in a ring which serves as a part of their pact bond.

He has radiant weakness and necrotic resistance.

He has a book which details means of enchanting various items and **improving** said enchantments/enchanted items. Requires his patron's aid however.

Combat focus:

He sticks back fir a few rounds, casting spells, sizing up his enemy and potentially buffing before going in and going rage. He utilizes his wand for long range and his polearm for melee.

What I need:

For the life of me I cannot decide whether to go 12 warlock or 12 barbarian.

I want to do a fair bit of damage and have slight utility outside of combat. Warlock has provided that much needed utility. Now I am more worried about damage and survivability. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Please advise.

Vogie
2018-10-25, 11:30 AM
I assume you're using the Hexblade for the expanded crit range, as Hex Warrior + Rage is not a combo. Normally people combine Barbarian with Fiend warlock for the free THP, but this works too.

To add utility, I'd switch from Pact of the Blade to Pact of the Tome, replacing Imp Pact Weapon with Book of Shadows for rituals.

You'll get more damage going up the Barbarian tree, and throwing one of your ASIs to Charisma to increase the EB damage.

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-25, 11:49 AM
I assume you're using the Hexblade for the expanded crit range, as Hex Warrior + Rage is not a combo. Normally people combine Barbarian with Fiend warlock for the free THP, but this works too.

To add utility, I'd switch from Pact of the Blade to Pact of the Tome, replacing Imp Pact Weapon with Book of Shadows for rituals.

You'll get more damage going up the Barbarian tree, and throwing one of your ASIs to Charisma to increase the EB damage.

Well to start. We are considering the pact weapon to work with hex warrior regardless of type (discussions were had on wording and it only made sense). Cant necessarily go and change out of pact of the blade as a result, but it does look like rage will stack with hex warrior. Otherwise I'd have 100% gone with tome.

As for fiend, it didnt seem fitting for a swordlock. Personal preference I suppose.

Edit: more details regarding my discussion with DM, halberd is a STR weapon, allowing rage to benefit. Its being imbued* to confer the hex warrior benefits.

This was some good info, thanks!

Vogie
2018-10-25, 12:01 PM
Well to start. We are considering the pact weapon to work with hex warrior regardless of type (discussions were had on wording and it only made sense). Cant necessarily go and change out of pact of the blade as a result, but it does look like rage will stack with hex warrior. Otherwise I'd have 100% gone with tome.

The thing that doesn't mesh is "When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength" from rage, which wouldn't happen if you're using Charisma via Hex Warrior.

If you don't care about the +2 or +3 damage from that rage, however, (or the issue is handwaived via DM Fiat) then it doesn't matter.

PhantomSoul
2018-10-25, 12:16 PM
The thing that doesn't mesh is "When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength" from rage, which wouldn't happen if you're using Charisma via Hex Warrior.

If you don't care about the +2 or +3 damage from that rage, however, (or the issue is handwaived via DM Fiat) then it doesn't matter.

I'd guess they just wouldn't use Charisma for the Attacks, which means the bonus from Rage is still there.

Trampaige
2018-10-25, 12:21 PM
He originally started as a blind warlock. His patron asked him to gouge out his own eyes as part of their deal (not pretty). He has since gained the blindsense 60/potentially 120ft soon.

If your DM let you start with those stats and is giving you *blindsense* 120, just ask for whatever you want.

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-25, 12:57 PM
If your DM let you start with those stats and is giving you *blindsense* 120, just ask for whatever you want.

Ahaha, no I had to earn quite a bit of that. And my character started as blind. Without blindsense. Kind of a rough start to be sure, seeing that my character got damn near toasted on a few occasions. The patron finally had enough of watching him eat dirt and said, "I'll help you with your sight problem but you really need to pick up the slack and do one little thing for me."

Dont you worry about this campaign being full of handouts. Wouldn't be half as interesting if it was.

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-25, 01:00 PM
I'd guess they just wouldn't use Charisma for the Attacks, which means the bonus from Rage is still there.

That, basically. Sorry for being **** at describing custom rulings!

PhantomSoul
2018-10-25, 03:48 PM
That, basically. Sorry for being **** at describing custom rulings!

The Hex Warrior Feature gives you the option of using Charisma (not the requirement to do so), so no custom ruling required! :)

Nicodiemus
2018-10-25, 10:58 PM
Ok, but you can rage and hex, just can't stack the rage bonus. But you'd still get the resistance and could still stack the zealot damage, correct?

Vogie
2018-10-26, 06:53 AM
Ok, but you can rage and hex, just can't stack the rage bonus. But you'd still get the resistance and could still stack the zealot damage, correct?

No, you can't concentrate on the Hex spell while raging.
As long as you are using Strength & not Charisma (that is, not using Hex Warrior), you DO get your rage bonus damage.
Hexblade's Curse, however, does not require concentration. Both Rage and Hexblade's curse use your bonus action, however.

Oramac
2018-10-26, 08:18 AM
What I need:

For the life of me I cannot decide whether to go 12 warlock or 12 barbarian.

If you go 12 Barb, taking more than 4 levels in warlock is largely irrelevant. Since both get Extra Attack at 5th level, if you go 12 barbarian, you only really need 4 levels of Warlock (unless you just desperately want 3rd level spells).

On an RP note: it sounds like you have a fantastic character! I kinda wish I could watch it being played. The whole "gouge out your eyes" pact thing is brutal and awesome.

Maxilian
2018-10-26, 09:51 AM
Ahaha, no I had to earn quite a bit of that. And my character started as blind. Without blindsense. Kind of a rough start to be sure, seeing that my character got damn near toasted on a few occasions. The patron finally had enough of watching him eat dirt and said, "I'll help you with your sight problem but you really need to pick up the slack and do one little thing for me."

Dont you worry about this campaign being full of handouts. Wouldn't be half as interesting if it was.

My main question is... if you have blindsight, why do you have the Devil's Sight invocation? It would be better to change it as soon as you get another lvl for something else

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-26, 11:25 AM
My main question is... if you have blindsight, why do you have the Devil's Sight invocation? It would be better to change it as soon as you get another lvl for something else

Well the blindsight is being considered as an invocation. So devil's sight is just the placeholder for something which isnt in the invocation list.

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-26, 11:29 AM
If you go 12 Barb, taking more than 4 levels in warlock is largely irrelevant. Since both get Extra Attack at 5th level, if you go 12 barbarian, you only really need 4 levels of Warlock (unless you just desperately want 3rd level spells).

On an RP note: it sounds like you have a fantastic character! I kinda wish I could watch it being played. The whole "gouge out your eyes" pact thing is brutal and awesome.

The character really is a bloody legend. About as chaotic as they come but in the grand scheme of things he isnt a particularly evil person. Waiting for the day when he decides to insult a king to their face and has to reap what he sows!

And yeah I must admit I do want some 3rd/4th level spells and extra invocations. It'd definitely help with this book I got as well that allows me to improve existing enchantments and enchant various goodies. He cant read now since he is blind, but there is an invocation that allows you to see through other people's eyes... perfect for the bloke.

Edit: another thing I like is how the patron-warlock relationship is progressing. He is now having to piggyback his patron through the prime material plane after recent events with his patron's nemesis forced it to flee to the aid of one of his servants. Patron was ready to meet some demands and make some deals and my character was just like, "Nah. Our original agreement was to toast the bastard yeah? Let's toast him then. Stick with me and make yourself useful now and then."

Since then theres been quite a bit of back and forth between the two as his patron nitpicks about certain things here and there from the safety of his shadow. "You killed him too quickly." "There wasnt enough blood in that one." "Why'd you let him get away?" And my character just acts all nonchalant about it, "eh it's more amusing when they run." Sort of thing. They get along a little too well. We love it.

Kasus Cloud
2018-10-26, 11:31 AM
No, you can't concentrate on the Hex spell while raging.
As long as you are using Strength & not Charisma (that is, not using Hex Warrior), you DO get your rage bonus damage.
Hexblade's Curse, however, does not require concentration. Both Rage and Hexblade's curse use your bonus action, however.

First turn is to proc hbc and maybe a spell as he sizes up his opponent.

Second turn is when he rages and goes to town on their face, so I should be covered in that regard. This is good to mention though!