PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Siege Engineer Party Composition

Wub
2018-10-25, 10:35 AM
I'm building a gnome fighter 12/wizard 8 crossbow expert with proficiency in carpentry and alchemy, so I can act as a sapper and siege engineer. Then if the Big Bad ticks off enough villagers, I could convince them to help build a trebuchet to launch rocks at the villain's mansion until said villain comes to attack us at our well-fortified (and heavily mined) position.

But that's the ideal scenario, so what kind of party members would be important to crew a siege engine, build walls, or generally assist me in merry mayhem as I blow up sections of the Big Bad's evil lair?

nickl_2000
2018-10-25, 10:44 AM
A Level 11+ Moon Druid would be excellent in this group. They get

Level 5 spell Wall of Stone
Level 2 Plant Growth (to slow people down)
Cantrip Mold Earth
Level 6 spell Move Earth
Earth Elemental and Air Elemental forms to get in through cracks, move through stone, and move quickly, and destroy fortifications

stoutstien
2018-10-25, 11:23 AM
And sor with reach meta magic and catapult could help out also. A good load for your siege weapons is just hot sand. Grab a spell to let you manipulate the air direction and speed and you can blind a whole Army.

Wub
2018-10-25, 03:21 PM
Ah. I feel a little silly now, having overlooked that spell. Seems like a good option for launching 'small' explosives or flaming oil. On an unrelated note, frontline party members with damage resist seems helpful. Monks, rogues (with fighter levels of course), red dragonborns, and barbs would be good picks since they have ways to reduce explosion damage in the unlikely event that they get caught up in a teammate's explosion. :smalltongue:

Also, totem barb has some pretty cool utility to work with. Resistance to any non-psychic damage, and a choice between higher carry weight (bigger rocks) or eagle vision work really well with a treb/demo team. Then make 'em a dwarf, and they can mine tunnels.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-10-26, 03:58 AM
I guess it's a bit late for this now, but maybe you can get some inspiration from this (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/08/siege-engineer.html) and this (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/08/advanced-fortifications.html)? #shamelesspromo