PDA

View Full Version : Oaths for specific deities

Spiritchaser
2018-10-25, 10:47 AM
A little while ago, I threw out a post about a paladin oath to Shar, but it looks like this might go a bit further.

I will have an opportunity to run a short campaign this winter with a variety of different mid level paladins representing and or pledged to a number of different deities, who, for plot reasons will have to work together(ish) for maybe 3-4 play sessions.

I expect lots of over the top evangelicals, hammed up overconfidence, and *probably* not actually any pvp, but if there is it’ll be with highly overblown righteous fury and a pint of beer.

I think attitudes and (inconsistent) acting are likely to trump mechanics here, but I do want to allow for some differences.

In order to generate a range of (not badly) balanced paladins without sweating the details on each one, I propose the following:

1. Pick a deity

2. Is there an obvious paladin oath that works? If so feel free to use it.

3. If 2 didn’t work for you, or you want something different: pick a cleric domain spell list, or existing paladin spell list. Please pick these in their entirety, so no cherry picking spells. Pick something that fits the god in question.

3. Pick channel divinity powers. These can come from any paladin oath, but again no mixing, alternatively take turn undead and a cleric channel divinity power. This CAN be different than the domain of your spell list if you so choose.

4. Pick other features. These come from a paladin oath of your choice, but you may only choose Ancients or Oathbreaker features if you chose the matched channel divinity powers from the ancients or Oathbreaker subclass. No mixing and matching.

I’d delve into this in more detail, but thiere are just too many options and too much work.

I’m not seeing anything glaringly aweful here, though you could probably come up with some slightly more powerful choices than what’s out there now... I’m just looking for “looks close enough”

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried anything similar

Thanks!

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-25, 10:52 AM
Due to the nature of how paladins work, I don't even think this would be broken. Procided that your players are reasonable in their decisions. I could see it getting out of hand by grabbing war domain spells and vengeance channel divinity but that would be about it. The main thing is the fact that war domain has wicked spells like Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, Freedom of Movement and Hold Monster.

lunaticfringe
2018-10-25, 11:39 AM
I think you should be ok because it's 3-4 sessions and most/all of the players will be Paladins. You might get some set ups that are more powerful than standard but you aren't running a standard campaign.

If your group members voice concerns/complaints then you should address it but until then just have fun with it.