PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Hivekeeper--an anthropomorphic bug-housing bug-person

PhoenixPhyre
2018-10-25, 01:29 PM
A vaguely humanoid figure, wearing a dark cloak. Except really it's the thing's wings--it's a human-sized cockroach with a distended abdomen, pierced with holes. From these holes comes a low droning sound. When threatened, it spits smelly, acidic fluid in a line and calls forth swarms of biting, poisonous insects from its hive of an abdomen.

A demonic creation, these are nonetheless native to the Material Plane.

Hivekeeper
Medium Monstrosity, any Evil
------------------------
Armor Class: 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 127 (15d8 + 60)
Speed: 30ft., fly 20 ft.
------------------------
STR 10 (+0) | DEX 16 (+0) | CON 18 (+4) | INT 14 (+2) | WIS 10 (+0) | CHA 8 (-1)
------------------------
Damage Resistances: Poison
Saving Throws: Strength +3, Wisdom +3
Skills: Perception +3
Senses: Blindsight 20 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, passive Perception 13
Languages: Common, Infernal*
Challenge: 5
------------------------
Pheromones. Creatures poisoned by the hivekeeper's toxic spittle take 7 (2d6) extra poison damage from the biting swarms and are targeted first by those swarms.

Innate Spell-casting: The hivekeeper's innate spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 13, spell attack modifier +5). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: poison spray
3/day each: entangle, thunderwave
2/day each: gust of wind, spike growth
1/day: wind wall
-------------------------
Multiattack. The hivekeeper summons a biting swarm if possible and then can either cast a spell, make a claw attack, or use toxic spittle.

Claw. Melee weapon attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 10 (2d6+3) slashing damage and 7 (2d6) poison damage.

Toxic Spittle. The hivekeeper spits a 5' wide, 30' long line of poisonous fluids. All creatures in that line must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 15 (3d10) poison damage and is poisoned for 1 minute. On a success, targets take half damage. Poisoned creatures can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the effect on a success. See also Pheromones.

Summon Biting Swarm (max 3). The hivekeeper creates a swarm of biting insects in a space within 5 feet of itself. This swarm moves toward a random hostile creature at a rate of 20' per turn (moving on the hivekeeper's turn), preferring poisoned creatures. Creatures that enter the space of a swarm for the first time on a turn or start their turn there take 9 (2d8) piercing and 4 (1d8) poison damage. Swarms persist for 3 turns or until they are subjected to any area damage effect or any significant source of wind (such as gust spell).

pygmybatrider
2018-10-26, 05:36 AM
Just reading this makes my skin crawl. It's disgusting.

I love it. Fluff is descriptive and well-written. Mechanically, this sounds like a fun and challenging fight. Pheromones + swarms is a great combo, essentially turning a boss fight into a boss-and-mooks fight on its own.

The only comment I'd have is about the poison damage for Claw not having an associated save, but given that Toxic Spittle does, it makes sense from a streamlining point of view. I assume that a successful save means you also don't suffer the poisoned condition, but that could probably be mentioned too. Other than that, awesome work.

Thank you for sharing - now to find a way to work it into my campaign...