PDA

View Full Version : Build for a Bartender

Afgncaap5
2018-10-25, 03:43 PM
If you were going to make a bartender who was on the move (potentially using rules from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron or Xanathar's Guide to Everything), and you knew the world was going to be constantly, dangerously cold pretty much all the time, how would you go about making the character if you started at level 4?

The Mark of Hospitality is in play of course (making the race Halfling), and I've got my eyes set on the mobile-oasis-capable magnificent mansion option at level 8. I'm trying to figure out the best build to "feel" like a rambunctious provider of food, drink, and shelter in an actively hostile world. Fighter, Bard, Rogue, and Sorcerer all feel like they'd be good fits, but I'm not sure which would be the best bet. Any thoughts?

Unoriginal
2018-10-25, 03:47 PM
Well first, get the Brewer's Kit proficiency.

For the rest, what do you like to play, most of the time?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-10-25, 03:53 PM
Glamour Bard. You're entertaining, you're charismatic, and there's that whole "Of course you want one more drink, and to give me a huge tip" charm ability that would come in so, so handy.

Afgncaap5
2018-10-25, 03:59 PM
Well first, get the Brewer's Kit proficiency.

For the rest, what do you like to play, most of the time?

I'm good with playing most things. I like magic, but I also like being good in combat. My last three characters were a rakish swashbuckler, a warlock with a lot of low-level magic for the sake of keeping people off guard, and a cheerful necromancer. I guess I enjoy playing people who catch other people off guard with a flair for showmanship? And that sounds like a description of Bards, but I like that kind of thing whether I'm a bard or not.

Basically, I'm looking at this spectrum...

Barbarian - Hey! Get outta my bar! *Throws the deadbeat out*
Fighter - Hey you, stop fighting and let everyone else enjoy their night, or you'll deal with me.
Rogue - Hey now, no need for that. Look, there's a nice how on, have a drink on the house...
Bard - No need for this barfight when you can Enjoy! The! Show! *Quells the high tempers*
Sorcerer - Hey, no fighting in the bar! *Turns the deadbeat into a stone statue, puts a flower necklace and sign around their neck, turns them back to normal tomorrow*

...and I'm trying to figure out which class options are the best for attaining the potential "feel" of what they could get. All are desirable, but which are the best at providing the desirability, that's what I'm looking for.

Glamour Bard. You're entertaining, you're charismatic, and there's that whole "Of course you want one more drink, and to give me a huge tip" charm ability that would come in so, so handy.

Sounds good, yes... I'd been considering it for mostly that reason, though I fear that it might be just a bit too on the nose. Still, that might not be a bad thing.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-25, 04:04 PM
I'm good with playing most things. I like magic, but I also like being good in combat. My last three characters were a rakish swashbuckler, a warlock with a lot of low-level magic for the sake of keeping people off guard, and a cheerful necromancer. I guess I enjoy playing people who catch other people off guard with a flair for showmanship? And that sounds like a description of Bards, but I like that kind of thing whether I'm a bard or not.

Basically, I'm looking at this spectrum...

Barbarian - Hey! Get outta my bar! *Throws the deadbeat out*
Fighter - Hey you, stop fighting and let everyone else enjoy their night, or you'll deal with me.
Rogue - Hey now, no need for that. Look, there's a nice how on, have a drink on the house...
Bard - No need for this barfight when you can Enjoy! The! Show! *Quells the high tempers*
Sorcerer - Hey, no fighting in the bar! *Turns the deadbeat into a stone statue, puts a flower necklace and sign around their neck, turns them back to normal tomorrow*

...and I'm trying to figure out which class options are the best for attaining the potential "feel" of what they could get. All are desirable, but which are the best at providing the desirability, that's what I'm looking for.

Sounds good, yes... I'd been considering it for mostly that reason, though I fear that it might be just a bit too on the nose. Still, that might not be a bad thing.

Arcane Trickster with Ritual Caster.

Have plenty of Magic Mouth alarms around the outer parts of the bar that shout for the police when there's a brawl or thief.
Cast Fog Cloud or Silent Image in a fight to stop people from being able to focus.
Cast Prestidigitation to flavor food and clean important guests. Serve and entertain with your Mage Hand ability. Smuggle hidden items or goods while being spied on with your invisible hand.
Use your familiar as a scout.
Get Expertise on skills relevant to the job, like Insight.
Use Illusory Script to write hidden bounties or messages to specific people in public.
Utilize Thieves' Cant in the place where it's most relevant to get the best gossip.
Cast Alarm when you go to bed to silently protect your vault/backdoor, without relying on the obviousness/cost/dispel vulnerability that comes with Magic Mouth.
Cast Identify on any items that are left behind. Ask any real-life barkeep or taxi driver, they end up finding a LOT of stuff.
Or run a side business Identifying items for guests.
Have your Unseen Servant do your cleaning for you. You can have multiple of these going at once (takes 10 minutes to make one that lasts 1 hour).
Tenser's Floating Disk to carry out drunken guests out of your bar.
Comprehend Languages to figure out what the hell that weird Genasi is trying to say.
Advertise major events with Skywrite.
Preserve food magically with Gentle Repose.
And send people to do your errands with Phantom Steed. You can make multiple steeds, they all take 10 minutes to make, last an hour, and can travel 10-13 miles in that time.

The best part is, this is a fully optimized character. Ritual Caster performs just as well for an adventurer as a Civilian, and every single one of these spells listed are spells available with Ritual Caster, with the exception of Fog Cloud/Silent (which you'd probably use as a standard combat choice anyway).

-----------------

After writing all that, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to make the coolest friggin' bartender ever with this build. Imagine THIS was the guy in charge of your local hang out. That'd be a cool a** campaign.

Nidgit
2018-10-25, 04:10 PM
I'd toss in that Ancients Paladin and Drunken Monk are both options that could fit the flavor perfectly. Drunken Monk would make you incredible at dealing with any brawls that break out, while Ancients functions more as a nice guy with some pacifying spells and the ability to really shut someone down with Smite if they go too far. Entangle as a CD doesn't hurt either.

No matter what you go with, I'd be sure to get proficiency in Persuasion and Insight, and possibly Intimidation. A Bartender should have passable Cha and Wis scored at minimum.

Afgncaap5
2018-10-25, 04:19 PM
I'd toss in that Ancients Paladin and Drunken Monk are both options that could fit the flavor perfectly. Drunken Monk would make you incredible at dealing with any brawls that break out, while Ancients functions more as a nice guy with some pacifying spells and the ability to really shut someone down with Smite if they go too far. Entangle as a CD doesn't hurt either.

No matter what you go with, I'd be sure to get proficiency in Persuasion and Insight, and possibly Intimidation. A Bartender should have passable Cha and Wis scored at minimum.

Those are both solid classes mechanically for it, but I really don't see this person being a paladin or monk by nature. Still, definitely worth considering...

gbg42
2018-10-25, 04:46 PM
When I built this type of character, I went for a mastermind rogue with a 2 level dip in knowledge cleric. They're the guy at the bar who can always give you that perfect bit of advice, to set your life back on right. Good listener and always able to help you out.

Nidgit
2018-10-25, 05:26 PM
Those are both solid classes mechanically for it, but I really don't see this person being a paladin or monk by nature. Still, definitely worth considering...
Fair enough, so long as you aren't dismissing these two as too self-controlled for your concept. Both archetypes are quite comfortable being flamboyant party types.

How about a Barbarogue? I could see barkeeping as excellent cover for both the Inquisitive's and Mastermind's observational abilities. The main downside is that you'd probably be MAD af.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-25, 05:28 PM
You could go for redemption paladin and then flavor as more pf an oath of hospitality.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-25, 05:54 PM
Oath of conquest paladin 7, drunken master monk x

It is not that other should fail at opening a bar in your town, they should be made an example of so all other know not to stand against your capitalism.

Afgncaap5
2018-10-25, 06:08 PM
Fair enough, so long as you aren't dismissing these two as too self-controlled for your concept. Both archetypes are quite comfortable being flamboyant party types.

It's not that I think they're too self-controlled; my first paladin in 3.5 was a dwarf who drank and roughhoused all night after putting in a good day's work for Moradin. It's more that I don't see this particular character dedicating themselves to something (be it a cause or a martial technique) to the degree that I feel like this character embodies.

And sure, I could go the whole reflavoring route, but it'd still feel off to me.

PeteNutButter
2018-10-25, 09:41 PM
Bard followed by a multiclass into wizard and then kensei monk... Call yourself Kote even though your real name is much harder to pronounce.