PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Couple of Gear Questions

Thurbane
2018-10-25, 09:07 PM
Two quick questions (thought this was a little outside of the FAQ thread scope):

1.) Is there any listed rules for tipping or throwing boiling oil (or other liquid) on enemies?

2.) Is there any listed rules (or pricing) for human powered vehicles such as a rickshaw or sedan chair?

Cheers - T

mabriss lethe
2018-10-25, 09:43 PM
I'm not aware of exact rules that cover either of these.

Mechanics for human powered vehicles can probably be ad hoc'ed pretty effectively just by using the lifting/dragging rules and assigning the number of porters or drivers with appropriate strength scores with the max speed based on the load/run speed multiplier, since porters wouldn't be engaged in anything else. A rickshaw could probably be priced using the cart stats (possibly reducing its weight) A sedan chair/litter/palanquin would be harder to price out using existing material. I'd probably treat a sedan chair as a 1/2 price and weight carriage.

EDIT:
Apparently the rules for human powered vehicles are in Sword and Fist, but I haven't verified that.

Saintheart
2018-10-26, 12:45 AM
I don't know about the substance, but there's the Boiling Oil spell from Heroes of Battle. A torrent of boiling oil specifically comes down in the area you specify: 4d6 scalding (fire) damage on impact, then 2d6 per round for another few rounds if you failed your saving throw.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-26, 07:53 AM
I imagine there might be some siege weapons or fortress defense weapons in Heroes of Battle or the Miniature Handbook? I'd look there at least.

Telonius
2018-10-26, 08:27 AM
The Environment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm) section of the SRD has this:

Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage, unless the character is fully immersed, in which case it deals 10d6 points of damage per round of exposure.

Stronghold Builders Guide mentions boiling oil in passing, but doesn't give stats for it.

mabriss lethe
2018-10-26, 09:42 AM
The Environment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm) section of the SRD has this:

Stronghold Builders Guide mentions boiling oil in passing, but doesn't give stats for it.

You could probably run it as-is, and just add lamp oil rules for burning.

PunBlake
2018-10-26, 09:44 AM
I don't have my books on me, but I remember there's a single-animal cart in the PHB. Apply size reduction math (reducing size one category to reduce price) and voila, a rickshaw. A nicer rickshaw would obviously cost more. At least that's how I'd handle it as a lazy person.

Palanan
2018-10-26, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by mabriss lethe
Apparently the rules for human powered vehicles are in Sword and Fist, but I haven't verified that.

Not that I’m seeing. There’s a chariot with room for two riders, but it’s pulled by horses, and there’s also the halfling war-wagon, which is pulled by “two sturdy warponies,” so definitely not humans.

There are a few chariot feats (the only ones I think I’ve ever seen in 3.PF) but nothing to do with rickshaws or other human-pulled contraptions. Your informant might have seen “Two-Person Chariot” at the top of p. 78 and been confused.

unseenmage
2018-10-26, 09:44 PM
Pathfinder has decent stats for dropping stuff from height for damage.

I'd combine that with the boiling water stats mentioned above but let's it hit them for an extra round or two since its oil.

Goaty14
2018-10-26, 09:59 PM
I thought pulling/carrying stuff was already established in A&EG? Should be x4 your normal limit to pull stuff, IIRC

Zaq
2018-10-27, 11:40 AM
I vaguely recall seeing rules for actually splashing holy water or a similar grenadelike weapon on someone (as opposed to hurling a vial at them—think pitching a bucketful of water on a fire while still holding onto the bucket, as opposed to throwing a water balloon).

But now that I think about it, I’m a little less than convinced that those rules were 3.5. I’m kind of thinking that may have been a 2e distinction. Like how to affect a ghost with holy water or something.

This post likely isn’t helpful.

Palanan
2018-10-27, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Zaq
This post likely isn’t helpful.

Thinking out loud still counts as thinking. :smalltongue: