PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Class Build Help

Mystical-man
2018-10-25, 11:11 PM
I was thinking of playing a order of the immortal mystic for a character idea I have, it fits well with what I am trying to go for with it being like a monk only less focus on wisdom which is something that worked with my idea. After reviewing it over a bit it just seems overpowered to me, I love certain parts of it and the theme of the class is what I like a lot but it just feels overpowered. My main question is do you have any tips about maybe debuffing a mystic or tweaking it to make it less overpowered or if there is a better class build out there which would fit with what I would like. (I would like to note I liked immortal mystic purely for it's physical abilities so I am indifferent to the character casting spells or something similar)

thoroughlyS
2018-10-26, 12:12 AM
It would help if you gave a short description of your character. What do you want them to be able to do? What do you want them to act like? Any important bits of backstory which inform how they operate.

Mystical-man
2018-10-26, 01:33 AM
they are someone who uses magic to enhance their body rather than the normal way most creatures use magic, things like imbuing themselves with energy to enhance speed, agility, strength etc. This is why I liked the immortal mystic with some of my favourite disciplines being bestial form, iron durability, giant growth and brute force, it's also why I liked the immortals first ability and unarmored AC.

Jerrykhor
2018-10-26, 03:16 AM
Talk to your DM. Whether something is overpowered or not is usually up to the DM to decide. If he allows you to play the Mystic class, its likely that he/she has read it.

Bannan_mantis
2018-10-26, 04:07 AM
it's not wether or not the dm says it's okay, I think the OP just wants something less OP...unless I am wrong in that assumption in which case if it's something you want to play and the dm says it's fine then yeah play it

Jerrykhor
2018-10-26, 04:09 AM
Which parts do you feel are overpowered?

Mystical-man
2018-10-26, 04:16 AM
I feel that the main problems with it is that it feels too versatile, I like specific parts of it like the order of the immortal's disciplines to increase speed, strength and such but with the amount of disciplines you can choose I feel like I might overshadow people in some areas.

I guess I mainly loved the areas of the mystic that made it possible for a monk or martial class that is quite magical in nature

Jerrykhor
2018-10-26, 05:00 AM
What character level is it? I say play it for a bit and see for yourself. Your opinion might change. Wizards are very versatile too, since they can cherry pick spells for each occasion, but they are not overpowered. Beyond that, its easy to do some self-nerfing by exercising some restraint. If you feel a certain power is too much (say, Bestials' non-conc flight), simply don't use it or spam it.

Anyway, Immortal are hardly the most overpowered. You dont know what OP is until you see Nomadic Mind's Psychic Focus.