PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How would you build a Nilbog?

RickAsWritten
2018-10-26, 10:10 AM
As the title states. I'm looking to make a Nilbog-like character for the AL Eberron storyline, so goblin, PHB and Xanathar's only. I was thinking Sorlock. Divine Soul Sorcerer and Fey Warlock seems like a good mix of the flavor and crunch I'd like, but if anyone can think of any other ideas I'd welcome them.

Also, what is a good level split for Sorlock? I've not tried out that particular multi-class.

Thanks.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-26, 11:41 AM
To answer your question:

I would make the Goblin equivalent of Gary Buscemi from Fargo.
Let him begin play with large amounts of temp HP he gained from the multiple beatings he has drawn unwittingly from his superiors prior to meeting the PCs.

Maybe go more Rogue, although it sounds like you have something far more serious in mind.

Unoriginal
2018-10-26, 11:46 AM
Honestly I'd say you're better off with a Bard than with a Sorcerer.

Seekergeek
2018-10-26, 12:26 PM
That's a tough one. For simplicity sake, I might be tempted to go wild magic sorcerer with the lucky feat. Tides of Chaos and Bend Luck paired with lucky certainly seem to fit the theme, and the narrow focus of the flavour of a Nilbog's magical aptitude could make the sorcerer's limited spells known feel less restrictive. Instead of lucky, magic Initiate Bard would give you vicious mockery and bane which fit the theme.

There was a college of satire from the classics revisited UA way back when - that could potentially fit the bill if those sources are open to you. Otherwise Lore could work quite well. Cutting words could easily be reflavoured to fit the Nilbog's schtick. I'd jump back on the lucky bandwagon for a feat in either case for bard.

edit: reading comprehension fail.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-26, 01:21 PM
After doing some research and tooling with some concepts, I have some recommendations for your build.

Goblin
Divine Soul 1/Great Old One Warlock 4/Divine Soul +15

STR 8
DEX 16 (14 + 1)
CON 16 (15 + 1)
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 14

Cantrips: mage hand, vicious mockery
Feats: Defensive Duelist
Invocations: Fiendish Vigor

At 1st level, you have mage hand and three other cantrips of your choice to keep your opponents busy. You also have sanctuary, to replicate Nilbogism. At 2nd level, you pick up tasha's hideous laughter through your patron and get a new slot to use it with each short rest. At 3rd level, you get Fiendish Vigor to add self-healing to your repertoire. At 4th level, Pact of the Tome gets you vicious mockery, completing the trifecta of spammable spells the Nilbog has. At 5th level, you take Defensive Duelist to give you access to an at-will damage mitigation reaction like Reversal of Fortune. From here onwards, you take levels in Sorcerer, picking up Quicken Spell and Subtle Spell.

vicente408
2018-10-26, 01:33 PM
Just the other day I was brainstorming a Goblin Bard character who was convinced he was a Nilbog, or at least pretending to be one to agoid mistreatment by his peers. I used the College of Glamour to replicate some of the “force you to praise the Nilbog” mechanics amd flavor.

Callak_Remier
2018-10-26, 01:51 PM
Thematically Wild sorceror would be a better fit for a Nilbog.
But if your going to power game. I wont provide any help

RickAsWritten
2018-10-26, 02:59 PM
Honestly I'd say you're better off with a Bard than with a Sorcerer.

Yeah, you might be right. As mentioned below by vicente, Glamour Bard fits pretty well. Plus Feylock could use Fey Presence to auto-succeed with Mantle of Majesty(albeit at level 7 or 8). Command the enemy to spend its turn praising you.

That's a tough one. For simplicity sake, I might be tempted to go wild magic sorcerer with the lucky feat. Tides of Chaos and Bend Luck paired with lucky certainly seem to fit the theme, and the narrow focus of the flavour of a Nilbog's magical aptitude could make the sorcerer's limited spells known feel less restrictive. Instead of lucky, magic Initiate Bard would give you vicious mockery and bane which fit the theme.

I don't know...the randomness aspect doesn't really fit. It's more of a charm/beguile type thing. Magic Intitiate for those two is a good idea though.

After doing some research and tooling with some concepts, I have some recommendations for your build.

Goblin

STR 8
DEX 16 (14 + 1)
CON 16 (15 + 1)
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 14

At 1st level, you have mage hand and three other cantrips of your choice to keep your opponents busy. You also have sanctuary, to replicate Nilbogism. At 2nd level, you pick up tasha's hideous laughter through your patron and get a new slot to use it with each short rest. At 3rd level, you get Fiendish Vigor to add self-healing to your repertoire. At 4th level, Pact of the Tome gets you vicious mockery, completing the trifecta of spammable spells the Nilbog has. At 5th level, you take Defensive Duelist to give you access to an at-will damage mitigation reaction like Reversal of Fortune. From here onwards, you take levels in Sorcerer, picking up Quicken Spell and Subtle Spell.

Nice. Excellent(and thorough) write-up. The only part I'm not crazy about is Defensive Duelist. It's not a great feat, and it doesn't really have the feel of Reversal of Fortune. I've kinda given up on that aspect of Nilboggery, as it is so unique and doesn't really have any player character parallels.

Just the other day I was brainstorming a Goblin Bard character who was convinced he was a Nilbog, or at least pretending to be one to agoid mistreatment by his peers. I used the College of Glamour to replicate some of the “force you to praise the Nilbog” mechanics amd flavor.

I think this is the way I'm gonna go. Either straight Glamour Bard or start with two levels in Feylock then on to Glamour.

ATHATH
2018-10-26, 03:06 PM

Goblin

STR 8
DEX 16 (14 + 1)
CON 16 (15 + 1)
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 14

Why do you have to go up to Warlock 4? Don't you get the ability to take the Pact of the Tome and the ability to take Tome of Ancient Secrets at Warlock 3?

thoroughlyS
2018-10-26, 03:17 PM
I think this is the way I'm gonna go. Either straight Glamour Bard or start with two levels in Feylock then on to Glamour.
You'll be missing out on sanctuary until 10th level at the earliest. A level of Cleric or Divine Soul is kind of important.

Why do you have to go up to Warlock 4? Don't you get the ability to take the Pact of the Tome and the ability to take Tome of Ancient Secrets at Warlock 3?
It's to get an ASI only one level late. Not getting an ASI until 7th kind of sucks. Granted my recommendation for Defensive Duelist means having 14 CHA until 8th level, and even then still being behind the curve. However, RickAsWritten mentioned skipping Reversal of Fortune, so that gives 16 CHA as 5th level.

Unoriginal
2018-10-26, 03:29 PM
On a side note, I do wonder why there are almost no NPCs with bardic powers. I mean there is a Bard NPC statblock, and a Tabaxi Minstrel one... and that's it.

RickAsWritten
2018-10-26, 03:42 PM
You'll be missing out on sanctuary until 10th level at the earliest. A level of Cleric or Divine Soul is kind of important.

Instead of using Sanctuary to approximate Nilbogism, it might be easier to use Charm spells and effects. Fey Presence and Charm Person. Sanctuary is a great spell(I always choose it on a Cleric), but it is pretty limiting if you want to do damage/don't have a lot of buff spells. It's more useful as a buff to another player than as a self-buff.

RickAsWritten
2018-10-26, 03:45 PM
On a side note, I do wonder why there are almost no NPCs with bardic powers. I mean there is a Bard NPC statblock, and a Tabaxi Minstrel one... and that's it.

Because only DM's must be cursed with having every single one of their rolls messed with in some way. PC's would get frustrated

Daghoulish
2018-10-26, 03:46 PM
As the title states. I'm looking to make a Nilbog-like character for the AL Eberron storyline, so goblin, PHB and Xanathar's only. I was thinking Sorlock. Divine Soul Sorcerer and Fey Warlock seems like a good mix of the flavor and crunch I'd like, but if anyone can think of any other ideas I'd welcome them.

Also, what is a good level split for Sorlock? I've not tried out that particular multi-class.

Thanks.

Quick question, you talk about playing an AL storyline, are you playing AL? Because if so, you can't have Xanathar's as your plus 1. It has to be Volo's or you can't play a goblin.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-26, 04:06 PM
Quick question, you talk about playing an AL storyline, are you playing AL? Because if so, you can't have Xanathar's as your plus 1. It has to be Volo's or you can't play a goblin.
The new Player Packet for the Eberron storyline lets you use the Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide, the Wayfarer's Guide, and the goblinoid races as your sources. It doesn't mention the common rule of PHB + 1, so it seems to be relaxed for that campaign.

Dalebert
2018-10-27, 03:36 PM
I've made a Nilbog. I went lore bard with a brief dip in draconic sorcerer. It's not an ideal thing. I was less going for his powers and more for his personality. He thinks he's the center of the universe. It's all about how you roleplay him. There was a moment when a cleric said a prayer to his god for our mission's success. I said I was going to say a prayer also. "Let me get my holy symbol." then I pulled out a hand mirror and started "Oh great and powerful Nilbog!" You get the idea.

One suggestion--start with a 17 dex (or maybe 15 if you don't care that much) and a 15 cha. Add one to each for your first ASI.