PDA

View Full Version : Hound of Ill Omen from Shadow Sorcerer

Degwerks
2018-10-26, 02:55 PM
Can you have more than 1 Hound of Ill Omen out in play at the same time?

Aett_Thorn
2018-10-26, 03:21 PM
Looking at the language of the ability, I don’t see why you couldn’t, but given the target limitations, it’s likely not your best use of Sorcery Points.

dmteeter
2018-10-26, 03:26 PM
You mean as in 2 different players can have one out at the same time. Not a single player correct?

Degwerks
2018-10-26, 03:46 PM
I mean a single player having multiple hounds at the same time.

Maxilian
2018-10-26, 04:28 PM
The only conditions for the Hound to dissapear are:

The hound disappears if it is reduced to 0 hit points, if its target is reduced to 0 hit points, or after 5 minutes.

So, if you cast the ability again, the first one will not dissapear, so you could by RAW have as many Hounds as your sorcery points poll lets you.

Note: You could only summon one per turn, as there is no actual way right now to get multiple Bonus Actions. (but you could conjure another one every turn, getting you a small army of Hounds)

Note2: You could also mount it, but regardless of it, you could only move toward the Hounds target

Galithar
2018-10-26, 04:56 PM
Note2: You could also mount it, but regardless of it, you could only move toward the Hounds target

Only if you're a halfling (or other small size race) it's specified to be a dire Wolf of *medium* size.

Dalebert
2018-10-27, 10:28 PM
You absolutely can have as many as you have sorcery points for and bonus actions to summon them, i.e. no more than one per turn. It's not a concentration effect. It's not a spell. Note that they have a very specific purpose. You "assign" it to one enemy and it pursues that enemy until that enemy or it dies or 5 minutes pass. You lose control of it immediately.

It's not as great as it sounds. It's not a bad thing to do on a boss fight when it's time to pull out all the stops but in most cases it will be wasted resources. By the time you have the sorcery points to start blowing 3 pnts/rd plus whatever spells you cast (because it imposes disadvantage on saves!) the hound isn't much of a threat. Its attacks aren't considered magical after all and it's plus to hit will never exceed 5. It's basically free Heightened Spell and you only need one for that.

Only if you're a halfling (or other small size race) it's specified to be a dire Wolf of *medium* size.

Troof. But I can't imagine a sorcerer wanting to mount something he can't control that's going to rush him up into melee with his enemy.

JNAProductions
2018-10-27, 10:30 PM
Troof. But I can't imagine a sorcerer wanting to mount something he can't control that's going to rush him up into melee with his enemy.

I'm a muscle sorcerer.

I CAST FIST!