PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Magical Items for a one shot?

KOLE
2018-10-26, 04:38 PM
Hey ya’ll!

Me and a friend are doing a hot seat DM one shot because are campaign is stalling right now and we wanted to do a halloween run.

We’re doing it at a higher level and starting each party member off with one Rare or lesser magical item. By the time we confront the big bad at the end of the session, each player will have found another Very Rare magical item.

Reason behind this is our campaigns have been stalling so much due to real life that we have not hit higher level play despite wanting to, so we wanted to give everyone a taste of that while not effecting balance in the actual campaign.

I’ll be perusing the DMG tonight, but want suggestions on what your favorite Rare and Very Rare items are for a Cleric, a Barbarian, and a Paladin.

We want something interesting AND useful, so no simple +X weapons or armor/Adamantium armor. Interested in seeing your choices.

Also curious as to what your favorite “fluffy” common/uncommon item is, as we’ll be starting everyone with one for free mostly just for giggles. (Probably giving the Barb and Alchemists Jug). I rewlly that Robe item with the patches that have useful random items and the Bag of Tricks, but I’m interested in ya’lls favorite choice for that kind if thing.

Lunali
2018-10-26, 10:32 PM
Somewhat consumable items are always interesting for this, such as beads of force, candle of invocation, figurine of power, helm of brilliance, horn of valhalla, necklace of fireballs, marvelous pigments.

Vorpalchicken
2018-10-27, 12:28 AM
I will resist answering "always tentacle rod."

The barbarian probably should have a weapon. I love flaming greatswords on barbarians but if that's too yawn then maybe a sword of wounding or even a cursed berserking axe (if the player is cool with it it can be fun.)

A necklace of prayer beads would be golden for either the paladin or cleric but if the paladin also craves a weapon, there is the awesome Sunblade.

I really dig the staff of swarming insects if the paladin took the beads.

Kaliayev
2018-10-27, 01:00 AM
I picked up a bag of tricks in a campaign and it quickly became my favorite fluffy item. Heck, it even comes with a fuzzy object inside. Running around town with a domesticated black bear or other wild animal has yielded some great rp material. Your Pokémon can serve as trap fodder, a distraction when your party really needs to get past some pesky guards, etc.

iTreeby
2018-10-27, 06:45 PM
I like alchemy jar for petulant characters who just want to throw mayonnaise in the throneroom. Or the character that needs more beer. Or the character that needs more poison. I think I just really like alchemy jar.

DarkKnightJin
2018-10-28, 01:50 AM
I'm a sucker for the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, but I've only been in relatively low level games.

My Cleric's party found a (pastel pink) blanket that gives Resistance to Cold damage, and makes the wearer feel comfortable in any kind of weather, negating the Con saves for extreme weather while travelling.
He's been using it in the Jungle and Desert we've been through, since he's a Silver Dragonborn and doesn't like heat all that much, canonically.
I think it counts as a (un)common rarity item, but it's been flavorful as all heck, and we love the strange image that pops up when we think of the 7'4" tall beefy Dragonborn using a bright pink blanket as a cape.