PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Black tentacles vs. thunderwave

holywhippet
2018-10-26, 06:46 PM
How do you resolve a situation where a character is being held in place somehow (eg. black tentacles) and some other effect forces them to move eg. thunderwave?

Galithar
2018-10-26, 07:09 PM
As a DM I usually create opposed checks between the source of holding and source of forced movement. In this case the caster of Thunderwave rolling against the caster of Tentacles. I do allow either side to take a 1 resulting in the other automatically succeeding if both caster would prefer the movement. (At my table this is most often the AoE forced movement caster taking a 1 to damage but not disturb the other casters control effect)
Again the previous is my house rules.

RAW Forced movement auto breaks a grapple, and I would assume this would be extended to a spell effect. I would say that if the movement left you within an AoE you remain restrained though.

DeadMech
2018-10-26, 07:16 PM
Unmovable object vs unstoppable force? I can think of two methods to resolve this assuming the target has failed saves vs both effects.

Either treat this like you would treat magical light vs magical darkness, in that the higher spell slot level wins automatically. In which case a 4th lvl black tentacles retains the restrained condition on the target.

Or you could compare the spell save DC for both spells. The higher the spell save the more powerful the amount of force the spell must be exerting upon the target. Though this only works if both spells are cast by different casters with different spell save DC's.

In either case the target of both spells would suffer the damage of both spells atthe appropriate times.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-27, 12:03 AM
I’d rule the spell using a higher spell slot takes precedent. So unless the thunder wave is upcast the black tentacles win.

Tanarii
2018-10-27, 01:56 AM
Technically: Restrained only makes a creatures speed 0, and prevents it from adding any bonuses to its speed. It doesn't prevent it from being moved. Or moving itself, if it can find a way without using its speed.

For example, a Storm Sorc can freely move away with Tempestous Magic. The 10ft of flying is independent of speed.

Similarly, and creature forced away can still move.

Of course, nothing says that this stops the tentacles from restraining the creature, so take that as you will.

Also you left off the Evard's. :smalltongue:

Zalabim
2018-10-27, 03:41 AM
Technically: Restrained only makes a creatures speed 0, and prevents it from adding any bonuses to its speed. It doesn't prevent it from being moved. Or moving itself, if it can find a way without using its speed.

For example, a Storm Sorc can freely move away with Tempestous Magic. The 10ft of flying is independent of speed.

Similarly, and creature forced away can still move.

Of course, nothing says that this stops the tentacles from restraining the creature, so take that as you will.

Also you left off the Evard's. :smalltongue:

It's similar to moving a creature restrained by a net or tied up with rope. Getting them out of the spell's area definitely stops them from taking further damage. Speaking of which, does a creature already restrained take automatic damage AND roll a save against taking even more damage? Well, technically the reverse order.

Abbreviated: When a creature starts its turn in the affected area, the creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 bludgeoning damage and be restrained by the tentacles until the spell ends. A creature that starts its turn in the area and is already restrained by the tentacles takes 3d6 bludgeoning damage.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-10-27, 03:51 AM
It's similar to moving a creature restrained by a net or tied up with rope. Getting them out of the spell's area definitely stops them from taking further damage. Speaking of which, does a creature already restrained take automatic damage AND roll a save against taking even more damage? Well, technically the reverse order.

Abbreviated: When a creature starts its turn in the affected area, the creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 bludgeoning damage and be restrained by the tentacles until the spell ends. A creature that starts its turn in the area and is already restrained by the tentacles takes 3d6 bludgeoning damage.

No, you are only damaged once per round by the spell.
You make the save to avoid being restrained. If you are restrained that round you take 3d6 damage.

If you're already restrained you don't get save you just take damage. It requires and strength/dexterity check to escape from being restrained.