PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spells that Mimic Others

kittyabbygirl
2018-10-26, 08:41 PM
I am planning out a new character for a Pathfinder campaign, and I've been looking at the Spell Expertise feats. Specifically, I wanted to get something flexible.

A lot of spells are capable of mimicking others. Many people know about the shadow/shades spells:
"Shadow conjuration can mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning) or conjuration (creation) spell of 3rd level or lower."

And similarly, Limited Wish and Wish can do pretty much any spell. However, Polymorph is capable of many other spells: "If you use this spell to cause the target to take on the form of an animal, the spell functions as beast shape II. If the form is that of an elemental, the spell functions as elemental body I. If the form is that of a humanoid, the spell functions as alter self."

In general, is there a list of spells that can duplicate others? Any spell list should be okay.

Thunder999
2018-10-27, 11:59 AM
There's the shadow conjuration, evocation, transmutation and enchantment lines.
There's wish, miracle and limited wish.
There's polymorph any object, polymorph and shapechange, which can duplicate the effects of most other polymorph spells.

That's all for explicitly duplicating another spell, but there's some that functionally duplicate the effects:
The major/minor etc. image spells can duplicate the effects of any lower level version of the same line.
Any spell that's a Greater version of some other spell can likely duplicate the lower level one, same for normal and lesser variants.
The same applies to casting a Mass version of a spell on a single target.

Then debatabley there's the old make a minion do it option:
Summon monster/natures ally might count, since they can get you some extra spells in the form of SLAs on monsters.
In a similar vein there's also planar binding/ally and gate.
Simulacrum of another caster or a monster with SLAs will get you almost anything.
Command/control undead can get you anything you can find an undead capable of casting.
Create undead and canopic conversion can get you said undead minions to control.
Dominate/charm person/monster can similarly get you minions to cast for you.