PDA

View Full Version : Could earth genasi sorcerer work?

Pikashell
2018-10-27, 09:50 AM
Me and two of my players decided to play a campaign on the side when the whole party can't play the main one. And I decided not to be the dm this time. I have never actually played as a character I have always been the dungeon master. So I wanted to experiment and see if an earth genasi sorcerer could work in some way. I still have no idea what the dm will come up as a story so I still don't have a background for the character but basically for now all I came up with is that he was created by a powerull djinn and so he has a talant in magic. His creator abandoned him believing the genasi to be a failiure and left him behind believing my character isn't strong enough to survive. A local hermit found him in the mountains found him and took him home. There he looked after the genasi as a son but when he showed his talents at magic the hermit decided to give him to the local wood elfs so they can help the genasi. That is basically where I'm at. I took inspiration from greek mythology and from frankenstein's monster. So my questions are does the story work and does the combination of earth genasi and sorcerer work? Thanks in advance!

dmteeter
2018-10-27, 09:53 AM
Short answer yes any race and class combo can work

The difficult part may be figuring out your characters role and how you are going to plan your spell selection.

Arkhios
2018-10-27, 09:59 AM
Honestly, don't get hung up with racial ability modifiers. Sure, they help to realize your capabilities earlier, but in the long run, every race can reach same heights.

To answer your question: Yes, an earth genasi sorcerer could work.

Unoriginal
2018-10-27, 10:06 AM
I think that the question is more "why would it not work?"

Earth Genasi doesn't have any no-sorcerer rules.

Are you allowed UA subclasses?

CTurbo
2018-10-27, 10:06 AM
Of course it would work. +2 Con is good for anybody

I can see an Earth Genasi Stone Sorcerer being a very interesting character. Stone Sorcs like Con more than most

Pikashell
2018-10-27, 10:25 AM
I think that the question is more "why would it not work?"

Earth Genasi doesn't have any no-sorcerer rules.

Are you allowed UA subclasses?

Well I haven't used unearthed arcana in my games but I will ask the dm if we can. If he says yes what do you have in mind?

Unoriginal
2018-10-27, 10:38 AM
Well I haven't used unearthed arcana in my games but I will ask the dm if we can. If he says yes what do you have in mind?

Well, there is the Stone Sorcerer. Or the Hill Giant Soul Sorcerer.

Ganymede
2018-10-27, 11:13 AM
Honestly, don't get hung up with racial ability modifiers. Sure, they help to realize your capabilities earlier, but in the long run, every race can reach same heights.

This is so important.

At the most, all this means is a slightly lower modifier in one stat during your lower levels. On the other hand, it adds so much variation and texture to your PC.

Whether you have a 14 or a 16, you're still going to do the exact same things in the game, while being an earth genasi and having higher non-standard stats could inspire your PC to do completely new things.

Corran
2018-10-27, 11:16 AM
Well, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Strangely enough, I was thinking of something very similar for a future character. Eath genasi sorcerer. Born human, was the apprentice of a transmuter wizard, and one day as he was cleaning the wizard's charmbers he messed around with the wizard's transmutation stone because he was curious (or it could be a strange piece of magical rock that the wizard had brought back from the elemental plane of earth). The interaction transformed him into an earth genasi and also gave him magical powers (enter wild magic archetype; though stone sorcerer could work too I guess, if UA is allowed).

Piece of advice. If you are using point buy, search throughout the charisma half feats to see if there is one that interests you. If there is none, start with an odd score in either constitution or dexterity (edit: also, start with a 15 in charisma) so you can even out both charisma and another stat at 4th level when you get your first ASI.

Pikashell
2018-10-27, 11:24 AM
Well, there is the Stone Sorcerer. Or the Hill Giant Soul Sorcerer. I am wondering will the hill giant soul work? It would explain that the creator was afraid of his creation for it being ugly but I am concerned does that affect the character of my well... character. Will it make him a violent force of nature or it wouldn't? It would make an interesting story in my opinion but I don't want for my character to be a force of nature since he has lived with the elves.

Unoriginal
2018-10-27, 12:09 PM
I am wondering will the hill giant soul work? It would explain that the creator was afraid of his creation for it being ugly but I am concerned does that affect the character of my well... character. Will it make him a violent force of nature or it wouldn't? It would make an interesting story in my opinion but I don't want for my character to be a force of nature since he has lived with the elves.

Hill Giant Soul don't make you ugly nor a violent force of nature.

You could just say the creator had to use the ancient runes for their creation experiment, and it ended up granting you a link to the antique Giant golden age.

Platypusbill
2018-10-27, 12:12 PM
Currently playing an Earth Genasi Stone Sorcerer. That's a good combo if UA content is allowed and it's obviously a great thematic fit. The 13 + Con modifier AC means you can be decently durable even if you dump Dex, and you can be an effective melee combatant with access to shields, martial weapons, Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade, and later on the Stone Aegis reaction attack. This also compensates for your lower Cha.

There is a small additional synergy with Earth Tremor and Erupting Earth; these spells create difficult terrain, but Earth Genasi can move across difficult terrain made of earth or stone at normal speed.

Arkhios
2018-10-27, 01:06 PM
What if you were to choose draconic origin instead. Pick one of the two variants related to the element often paired with Earth: Acid, and you're pretty much set. True enough though, there aren't very many acid spells around (yet) and those that are, aren't very great, but who cares. They fit for the theme!

For a little bit of re-flavoring, you could even describe the sorcerous origin as Elemental Origin instead of Draconic Origin.

Asensur
2018-10-27, 03:02 PM
As long as you are not a (pure)orc wizard you will be fine

Arkhios
2018-10-27, 05:47 PM
As long as you are not a (pure)orc wizard you will be fine

Nah, even pure orc wizard would be just fine. It's not like the orc's intelligence couldn't reach 20 as with any other race, they just start with a hindrance. There are plenty of ASI's to spend for that. Besides, what else would a Wizard really need to use their ASI's for? :smallamused:

I'd like to point out that I'm not joking here. I mean it. Sure, you'll start with at most 13 in intelligence if using point-buy, but you still need only 3 ASI's and one half feat to reach int 20 as a pure orc, and the feat is likely to be something you would've taken anyway. Really not a big deal.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-28, 07:43 PM
Gonna say. I ran with a friend who played a half-orc wizard for quites some time.
Non-stabdard races are always interesting and 5e is broad enough to support just about anything in this area.

As others said. Sorceros are fun and great, but you will want to pick a “theme” and stick with it. The right meta-magics and spells together are what make a Sorceror sing.