PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other D&D 3.5 Homebrew Race: Aldrnari Dwarf

Dub_Fox
2018-10-27, 10:40 AM
Preamble:

Right so a long long time ago, in a time of bad acne and angst, I came up with a race on my google docs drive. After sifting through it in my later years I found it once again, and for once I wasn't appalled by how badly it was written. (okay, the writing was bad but the idea was actually pretty cool.) I have decided to post the stats of this race I've made for feedback as I'd really like to use it in a game, but the moment I breath "Homebrew" in a D&D game I am instantly denied entry. I hope that getting some critiques and comments here will have some legitimacy to the race. Anyways, enough of Preamble, time for premise!

Premise:

Basically, I created some lava dwarves. They live in volcanos and build massive underground empire focused on casts, slavery, and worship to a Primordial (pretty sure that's 5e but I thought it was cool stuff.) They have been underground in their volcanos without much contact until now. As a result, they have been granted boons/mutations to live in such a hostile environment.

STATISTICS (THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO BE REVIEWED!):

Stats: +4 con +2 str -2 cha

Medium Size

base land speed is 20 feet. However, Aldrnari Dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or whose speed is reduced in such conditions).

Powerful Build

Stone hair: due to the obsidian quill-like hair on their back and beard, they get +2 NAC

Darkvision 60 feet.

Stability: Aldrnari Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. An Aldrnari dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Stonecunning: This ability grants an Aldrnari dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. An Aldrnari dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and an Aldrnari Dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. An Aldrnari dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Aldrnari dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunities to practice and hone in their underground homes.

Dragon Dodge: Aldrnari dwarves gain a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the dragon type. In defense of their volcanic homes and mineral hoards from dragons, Aldrnari dwarves train from an early age to avoid surprise attacks from treacherous dragons. Any time an Aldrnari Dwarf loses his Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when he is caught flat-footed, he loses this dodge bonus too.

Weapon Familiarity: Aldrnari dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.

+1 racial bonus to attack rolls against giants (including half-giants,) Ogres (including half-ogre) and trolls (including half-trolls): Aldrnari dwarves are trained in the special combat techniques that allow them to fight their common enemies more effectively.

+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items: Aldrnari dwarves are familiar with valuable items of all kinds, especially those made of stone or metal.

+4 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal: Aldrnari dwarves are especially capable with stonework and metalwork.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects: Aldrnari dwarves have an innate resistance to magic spells.

-4 racial penalty on swim checks: due to the Aldrnari Dwarves heavy stone beards, they find it difficult to swim without sinking to the bottom.

Immunity to fire and non-magical lava

Resistance: +5 to magical lava

Vulnerability Cold: take an additional 50% cold damage from magical sources

Acclimatized: Aldrnari Dwarves are acclimated to the extreme heat, dry/toxic/smoky air due to living in the volcanic environment.

Sensitive environment: Aldrnari Dwarves find it difficult to deal with extremely cold climates, they must make a fortitude save dc 20 (+1 for each previous test) to travel in cold environments (instead of dc 15 (+1 for each previous test))

+1 la
+2 cr

Favored class: Barbarian

Alignment: Mostly neutral with evil tendencies. (*N/E, C/E, L/E, N/N)

Racial trait: Stone Quills: grants the user the quill special attack (Quills (Ex): Whenever a creature grapples or is grappled an Aldrnari Dwarf or deals damage to one with a natural or light weapon, all creatures adjacent to the Aldrnari Dwarf must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be struck by 1d3 quills, each dealing a point of damage. Every quill stuck in a creature’s skin imposes a -1 penalty to all Strength- and Dexterity-based checks, including melee and ranged attacks and damage rolls. Removing a quill requires a Heal check, DC 17, and whether this check succeeds or fails the subject suffers an additional point of damage.)

Author's Notes:

I have been rereading the abilities they have and been noticing when I made this race a lot of the skills they have are circumstantial or have a give and take. So please keep at least the former in mind. I mean common, how often is the ability to swim in lava going to come up.

Dub_Fox
2018-11-10, 11:31 PM
Wondering if there are any thoughts of those who read this. If more background information is needed, I can post it. I am simply trying to get help with balancing them to be a la +1 pc race.

nonsi
2018-11-11, 12:58 AM

I believe that you'll quickly find the feedback damage of Stone Quills to be annoying. It'll come to play too often and will slow down your game.
It's an acceptable feature for a monster, but not for PCs.

Also, immunity to a damage type at low levels is a big deal....... and how often does one come across magical lava?

khadgar567
2018-11-11, 02:03 AM
@dub_fox your stats look good on my case but you might want to check your fluff one more time as most abilities aldrnari dwarfs get is on classic dwarf chassis. my advice to you is get a pdf of fryredwarfs from age of sigmar as your race kinda draws from same vein. both of them live in volcanos but fryredwarfs are kinda slaying monsters with no armor as their slayer vows prohibits them from wearing armor which your stone hair idea solves perfectly.

stone cutting i know its iconic dwarf abilitybut what is also kinda iconic for dwarfs mate underground caves full of newly minted gold coins thats why smaug decides to both them out of their home.