PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Custom Player Rewards Help

Sahe
2018-10-27, 10:43 AM
I'm currently running Lost Mines of Phandelver with a group of 4 Players.

The Party Makeup:
- a Goblin Barbarian (undecided Path) (he likes to use a greatsword and I allow him to ignore DA while Raging)
- a Vhuman Monk (will go some Homebrew of Tattooed Monk that I figured out with the Player)
- a Triton Trickery Cleric
- a Wood Elf Shepherd Druid

Now the adventure does provide some magic items, but not all of them are particularly useful to the group and I want the special rewards to be useful for them. I already have some ideas.

Moodswing
A magical sword gifted to the legendary Halfling warrior Irna Kneetaker. Appears to be a normal magical Longsword, however when a Barbarian who uses it Rages it increases in size becomes a magical Greatsword. Also gives +1 to Attack and Damage rolls. Obviously for the Barbarian.

Kusarigama
For the Monk, allows Grapples, Shoves and Attacks (including Flurries) with Reach. Gives +1 to Attack/Damage.

Now I don't have anything for the Druid yet. Since she's Circle of the Shepherd I was thinking about some of the following instead of a magic item:
- finding additional Spirits she could use her Class Feature with.
- finding a baby of a Monster to befriend and raise (Wyvern, Owlbear, Faerie Dragon, etc.)

Not sure about the Trickery Cleric. The art he chose for his character has a pretty neat looking sword and I was thinking about essentially giving him that. Maybe just a +1 family heirloom sword that he can use (despite lacking proficiency because of it) that deals Cold Damage instead of Slashing. I dunno. Really uncreative here.

Any thoughts/feedback on my ideas are welcome.

sandmote
2018-10-28, 03:04 PM
First, I'd like to disclose I haven't read through any of the published adventures.

Moodswing
A magical sword gifted to the legendary Halfling warrior Irna Kneetaker. Appears to be a normal magical Longsword, however when a Barbarian who uses it Rages it increases in size becomes a magical Greatsword. Also gives +1 to Attack and Damage rolls. Obviously for the Barbarian.
I'm not clear on whether you want the weapon to require using two hands while raging. A magic longsword that deals 2d6 damage dice while raging might be easier to keep track of. If the barbarian was going sword and board they get more damage, while a barbarian using a greatsword can free up a hand. Switching between the two kind of just means the player has to switch their other hand depending on whether they have rages left. Or a magic longsword that deals 1d10 and increases to 1d12 when wielded with both hands.

Kusarigama
For the Monk, allows Grapples, Shoves and Attacks (including Flurries) with Reach. Gives +1 to Attack/Damage.
Thematically fitting for a monk.

Now I don't have anything for the Druid yet. Since she's Circle of the Shepherd I was thinking about some of the following instead of a magic item:
- finding additional Spirits she could use her Class Feature with.
- finding a baby of a Monster to befriend and raise (Wyvern, Owlbear, Faerie Dragon, etc.)
Just make sure to grow the monster as the party levels, and this should work out great. Faerie Dragons might have this built in (I might be misremembering from some homebrew) and get abilities for crowd control some of the summoned creatures don't.

Not sure about the Trickery Cleric. The art he chose for his character has a pretty neat looking sword and I was thinking about essentially giving him that. Maybe just a +1 family heirloom sword that he can use (despite lacking proficiency because of it) that deals Cold Damage instead of Slashing. I dunno. Really uncreative here.
I'd give them a weapon that inflicts poison, blindness, or some other status effect (either until the end of the next turn or for a minute once per long rest). Particularly if they're going for trickery over damage output, a Dagger of Poisoning would probably fit okay (especially for clerics, which don't get an extra attack). If they're focusing more on spellcasting, you could make a ring that applies one of the spells they like to cast, like a Weapon of Blindness/Deafness (that lets them attack and save a spell slot) or a Ring of Protection from Evil and Good (that saves spell slots and concentration).

If you're short for content to grant these items, the cleric could get a Staff of the Adder and the druid a Staff of the Python from a single place.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-28, 11:59 PM
When tailoring items to a party I usually keep a few key questions in mind:

What are the character's backstories?
What are the character's motivations?
What are the character's attitudes like?
What prompted you to choose these kinds of items?
What are the origins of these items/What kind of origin do you want for them?

Once these questions are answered, a proper discussion can start.

Wilko
2018-10-29, 10:06 AM
If I recall the cleric gets simple weapons which includes the Dagger, so you could go full thundercats, and give him a dagger which can become a sword x times per long rest for one minute (whilst still being a dagger for prof). Then give it the ability to change the damage type while enlarged or some thematic cantrip (Shape water for example, it's not on the cleric list but it's really thematic for a Triton...)

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 12:29 PM
One magic item I liked that could work for your Trickery Cleric is the Egoist's Armor:

It's a sash that you can make it look like any non-magical armor with your action, and it will give you equivalent AC as that armor. If someone determines it's an illusion, the scarf no longer has any benefit against that target for 24 hours. The higher the AC it gives you, the lower the DC is to see through. It can give you up to 20 AC for a 10 DC, and the AC goes down for every DC it goes up (so it can also give you 11 AC for 19 DC). If an enemy attacks you, they may spend a reaction before the roll, or they can use their action, to roll an investigation or perception check (their choice), to see through your illusion, reverting it back to your normal DC. Other creatures will continue to see your illusioned armor. This is a magical reality-bending sort of illusion, and so blind creatures or objects are not affected by this ability. You are not impaired by any other effects of the illusioned armor (such as weight, strength requirements, or disadvantage on stealth).

You can also use it to cast Disguise Self once a day.