PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn good but bad

Whit
2018-10-27, 11:26 AM
Dragonborn height weight intimidating size. Look like dragons to a degree. Gain a strength +2 Ch +1 bonus, breath-weapon that’s damage is good early game but drops a bit mid late game as why would you waste a stronger attack over a 3d6 ae that is con or dex save based when you don’t get a con bonus from race which usually means 1/2 damage. Resistance is awesome and unlike dwarves only poison, you can choose fire cold etc. Pretty nice overall.
Stats. Str based and cha based. Optimized for paladin bladelock or palilock sorcadin. Not bad choices. Just like other races it has better class and average class options
What Dragonborn lack is a sub race like the other races have. A major issue for Dragonborn. I think the best way Mearls should have fixed it is by giving the sub race the enhanced dragon options to replace equal stat. Choose one: The claws, Armor, breath weapon fear etc and replace the +1 cha or +2 str with an equal stat to that enhance dragon. So dump +1 cha and get +1 to a stat with one of the enhance dragon. Or replace the +2 str to a +2 to another stat

thoroughlyS
2018-10-27, 11:45 AM
I've had a very similar idea. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572365-Dragonborn-Rework&p=23466765)

AugustNights
2018-10-27, 11:46 AM
Yep, that's pretty much how I homebrew/house rule them.

Dragonborn: +2 Str

Gift of Heart: Cha based Breath weapon (+1 Cha)
Gift of Wings: Glyde Speed that becomes Fly Speed as leveling up (+1 Dex)
Gift of Scale: Natural Armor (+1 Con)
Gift of Presence: Use Activated Frighting Presence 1/Short Rest (+1 Cha)

To present the jist of it.