PDA

View Full Version : Finding the perfect class for a character concept

MightyDuck
2018-10-27, 05:15 PM
I'm in a pickle trying to come up with the right class/subclass for a character build one of my friends has commissioned me to create for them. Basically they want to make a character that operates like the character Velvet Crowe from the game Tales of Berseria, specifically their fighting style and magical abilities. Essentially the character has to have the following traits; martial arts or dexterity based melee combat since the character does a lot of spins and kicks and is generally quite mobile, limited magical abilities (probably not a full caster but at least some offensive spells or magic effects), the ability to manifest and fight with a demon claw thing (I know this isn't possible RAW but it should be easy reflavor something), preferably some transformation or 'rage' form (not literal) and the ability to, in some way, absorb power from their enemies. Not all of these are essential but you should get a vague idea.

The only material thats legal in this campaign is the PH, VGtM, XGtE, EE and maybe some UA subclasses (although probably not), also blood hunters for some reason?! Also multiclassing isn't an option. My ideas so far are; Way of the long death monk (with some convincing), Hexblade warlock, lycanthrope bloodhunter, College of whisper bard (maybe?!), dex-based eldritch knight, arcane trickster rogue?!, dex-based vengeance paladin. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, cause I am stumped.

Miz_Liz
2018-10-27, 07:03 PM
From what you're describing it sounds like your best bet is probably a dex based eldritch knight.

1. Plenty of good combat capability
2. EK can summon their weapon to their hand, fluff a rapier to be your claw thing
3. Not sure exactly how you'd pull off a transformation as an EK sorry
4. Absorb elements. 'Nuff said.

Other than that the other option I'd go for is a hexlock. Not quite as beefy in melee but you can use armor of agathys or even just armor of shadows mage armor to represent a transformation. Still get the weapon summoning, and I can't think of any absorption type warlock spells of the top of my head but I bet they're out there.

Droodicus
2018-10-27, 07:09 PM
Devil blade lock. Can fight, has spells, can summon a weapon and the temp hit points can be their rage form.

Speely
2018-10-27, 09:15 PM
Fluff an Arcane Trickster. Take Booming Blade as a cantrip and flavor it as a crescent kick or whatever martial arts move you fancy. For the secondary damage, flavor that as a five point palm from Kill Bill.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-27, 09:58 PM
If it is unarmed strike I would say a monk/warlock multiclass.

Open Hand monk for maximum unarmed strike potential and Fiend warlock for gaining temp hp when you kill an enemy. Hex allows extra damage on hits(Rage Mode).

It all depends on level now. If your level ten I would recommend 8 monk/2 warlock. False life and Mage Armor Invocations

For stats I would go with a high dex, cha, and con.

You also get healing from Open Hand Monk.

Note: Hex only does bonus damage to target

First turn:
Bonus action Hex
Two melee attacks that do 1d6+dex+1d6 necrotic

Turn Two:
Action: Two melee attacks that do 1d6+dex+1d6 necrotic
Bonus action: Flurry of blow: Two melee attacks that do 1d6+dex+1d6 necrotic and creature has to succeed on save or be knocked prone or pushed 15 feet

You could also use Stunning Strike on any attack that hit

If a creature dies gain 2+cha temp hp, then use bonus action to transfer hex.

I actually want to play this myself now.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-10-27, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, multiclass isn't an option as per the OP.

Speely
2018-10-27, 10:09 PM
Doubling down on the Arcane Trickster. Do it! It's such a versatile subclass, it's from the PHB, and you can fluff things as you see fit.

Lunali
2018-10-27, 10:31 PM
Seems to me that the ones that fit best are among those you suggested, lycan blood hunter and whispers bard. Other options that haven't been mentioned include storm herald barbarian and four elements monk.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-10-28, 03:07 AM
1. martial arts or dexterity based melee combat since the character does a lot of spins and kicks and is generally quite mobile,

Monk

2. limited magical abilities (probably not a full caster but at least some offensive spells or magic effects).

Human variant: Magic initiate.

3. Manifest and Fight with a demon claw thing (I know this isn't possible RAW but it should be easy reflavor something)

Magic initiate druid with the primal savagery cantrip or refluff a cestus.

4. Preferably some transformation or 'rage' form (not literal)

Long death Monk refluff the hitting zero and using ki to stay alive into a transformation.

5. The ability to, in some way, absorb power from their enemies.

Long death Monk.

Human variant long death Monk with the magic initiate feat.

BarneyBent
2018-10-28, 04:30 AM
Aasimar (any sub-race) Hexblade sounds like a good start. Blade Pact, fluff your pact weapon as a claw or something.