PDA

View Full Version : A Kobald who thinks He's a Dragon

CosmicOccurence
2018-10-27, 07:37 PM
So I've got this itch to play a Kobald who truly and honestly thinks that he's a dragon and blatantly refuses to acknowledge that he's a kobald. Ideally his class abilities and features reflect the abilities of dragons (at least to the extent that it justifies his predetermined beliefs).

The obvious path is Draconic Sorcerer, which not only grants a ton of dragon related stuff, but also enough that he can 'fake it' with fear inducing spells even before his capstone. The downside is that its missing out on the melee combat stuff of a dragon, but I seriously doubt anything will be perfect.

So I suppose what I'm wondering is: are there other options that could also work for this character (potentially better even), notably by retaining the melee heavy, sturdiness of dragons? And if sorcerer is the best option, any ideas on fun spells that I could use as 'evidence' that he's really a dragon?

Kadesh
2018-10-27, 07:43 PM
What Dragon do you want?

Draconic Sorcerer for flavour is fine. I'd stay away fro. dragon breath spell unless you theme with only one. Taking the spell that is most appropriate to your dragon you desire is a matter of Acid Arrow (Black) Lightning Bolt, (Blue) Cloud kill (Green), Burning Hands (Red), Cone of Cold (White).

Dragons don't have innate spellcasting natively nor do they have specific spell lists, so it's harder to ensure they match.

Galithar
2018-10-27, 08:05 PM
Sacred Kin Barbarian.
It's from Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else and I have banned it from my game, but it will do what you want.

The features:
You'll be up in their face with a D12 hit die.
You get to use Con as your spell casting ability. This makes you there only caster that at level 20 with no magic items gets a modifier of +7. Most won't see this level but it's worth pointing out.

You get Metamagic like you were a Sorcerer as a Barbarian, you can multicass in Draconic Sorcerer if you want, but it's best to dump mental stats and go full physical especially since it will play into your RP of claiming to be a Dragon when you clearly aren't.

While raging you can both cast, and concentrate on, spells as well as adding your Str to your AC. Imagine a level 20 Sacred Kin with the following physical stats (if you could pull them off somehow) 24, 20, 24. AC of 22 (24 with a shield) then add another 7 while raging for a total of 29 (31 with a shield) oh and if anything ever managed to hit you you can burn a spell slot for shield...

Improved Extra Attack - Not like a fighters, but since Barbarians only get one you can instead (level 10) cast a cantrip (booming blade?) And still get your extra attack. Oh yeah and if the cantrip dealt damage the attach is made at advantage.

Level 14 you get wings so you can actually fly and claim even more that you're a dragon.

Oh I almost forgot when you cast a spell you regain health rush to 3 times the slot level.

Edit: fixed d10 hit die and replaced with correct d12

Edit: almost forgot the most important part that one if the ancestral Kin you can choose is Draconic.

lunaticfringe
2018-10-27, 09:08 PM
Some minor tweaks to the official Primal Savagery cantrip (Unless you have Black/Copper Dragon ancestry) or using the UA version could work as a melee attack. You just have to convince your DM to allow you to take it as a Sorcerer Cantrip.

If you are playing things by the book you might take a peep at Alter Self, it does Dragony things (especially if your ancestor has the shapechange feature).

Daghoulish
2018-10-27, 09:25 PM
I think multi-classing might be what your looking for. I'll try to make 2 versions of this particular idea I'm thinking. Basing this on 3.X versions of dragons that had spells that were single use per day. My idea's would be far better if you could get your DM to remove Multi-classing restrictions or at least making the paladins take 13 STR or DEX. I'm sure they can work otherwise just be a little weaker.

Tiamat Kobold
Conquest Paladin 18 - Fiend Warlock 2
The Oath of Conquest fits a character that believes they are a chromatic dragon and that involves a good deal of being superior. Having a paladins d10 hit die will help you keep you alive in melee, while Agonizing eldritch blast could be re flavored as your characters breath weapon and give you a good ranged option. Warlock lets you smite more often and keep the feeling of having extra might behind your character. Killing things will give you temp hp and having enemies feared in your aura keeps them from running in your presence.

Bahamut Kobold
Redemption Paladin 17 - Celestial Warlock 3
Pact of the Tomb - Book of Ancient Secrets
This is a more Metallic Dragon setup. Your character would have a lot of ways to stop fighting or to use persuasion to bypass it. Violence is not the goal here. Book of Ancient Secrets helps even more, giving you the ability to have every ritual in the game lets you have many options. As before, having Smite with short rest slots means you can really put some strength behind your attacks while acting in a more reactive way.

P.S-Someone else also made this concept, but in 3.X and it was very funny. Here's a link if your interested.
http://evandavis.org/2017/08/wrak-the-mighty-dragon-kobold/

Lunali
2018-10-27, 10:48 PM
Sorcadin would also be a decent option if you don't mind wearing plate mail, though if he honestly believes he is a dragon, that might not work.

If wearing armor is a problem, four elements monk or zealot barbarian might work. For the barbarian, he might not realize the difference between radiant/necrotic and fire/poison damage.

CosmicOccurence
2018-10-28, 06:01 AM
Wow, there are a lot more ways to do this than I originally had thought! I'll take a look over these, but these are all seem great based on what you're telling me. My 3.5 knowledge base is way better than 5e, so its been a bit of a learning curve trying to get specific ideas realized on paper.

Unoriginal
2018-10-28, 06:32 AM
You could go for a Sun Soul Monk, fluffing the melee attacks as claw strikes, and the Radiant Sun Bolt as coming from the mouth like a dragon breath, and later the Searing Arc Strike and Searing Sunburst can be variations of the breath.

It'd be a good way to have a "dragon breath and mighty claws" feel for the kobold, in any case.

Envyus
2018-10-29, 03:09 AM
The most imporant thing you are going to need to remember is that you are bold, not bald.:smallbiggrin:

Sigreid
2018-10-29, 08:01 AM
Would be fun if he was a dragon...that got reincarnated as a kobold.

RickAsWritten
2018-10-29, 09:34 AM
Bahamut Kobold
Redemption Paladin 17 - Celestial Warlock 3
Pact of the Tomb - Book of Ancient Secrets

Yeah, but if you take Pact of the Chain you can have your invisible Imp carry you around fly like the mighty dragon that you truly are.

MagneticKitty
2018-10-29, 02:54 PM
What about Mystic. Probably immortal for durability or soul knife for claw attacks.
Pick up corrosive breath and your favorite flavor of elemental ability. Pick up the giant growing ability, and some defensive abilities. You can grow wings with the modification one. Or pick up wind for flight. Sorry I don't remember the specific ability names off the top of my head

Edit.
Adaptive body - dragon resistance
Aura sight - blindsight
Bestial form - wings and claws, blindsight
Corrosive metabolism - dragon breath
Giant growth - dragon size
Mantle of fear - frightening presence of dragon
Mastery of force - knockback wing attack. Lift objects
Mastery of.. element - dragon element powers
For example.

Edit: I hate autocorrect.