PDA

View Full Version : Changling Druids

8wGremlin
2018-10-27, 10:16 PM
How does a Druid's Wildshape ability and the Wayfinder's Guide Changling's Change Appearance ability interact

As an action, you can transform your appearance or revert to your natural form. You can’t duplicate the appearance of a creature you’ve never seen, and you revert to your natural form if you die.

You decide what you look like, including your height, weight, facial features, the sound of your voice, coloration, hair length, sex, and any other distinguishing characteristics. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change. You also can’t appear as a creature of a different size than you, and your basic shape stays the same; if you’re bipedal, you can’t use this trait to become quadrupedal, for instance. Your clothing and other equipment don’t change in appearance, size, or shape to match your new form, requiring you to keep a few extra outfits on hand to make the most compelling disguise possible.

Even to the most astute observers, your ruse is usually indiscernible. If you rouse suspicion, or if a wary creature suspects something is amiss, you have advantage on any Charisma (Deception) check you make to avoid detection.

If I changed in to a tiger, and then CA'd in to a Horse that would be OK, and when the wildshape runs out I would still be a Horse, but now with my stats.

Could I change in to a Brown Bear, and then CA into a Human?

JNAProductions
2018-10-27, 10:21 PM
I'd say you lose your CA ability when Wildshaped. You don't retain traits that require your normal body-for instance, you only have Darkvision if your animal form has it, even if you're a Dwarf.

Galithar
2018-10-27, 10:27 PM
None of that works.

When you wildshape you gain the abilities of what you change into. You're no longer a changeling, you're a Brown Bear. (Or whatever you wildshape to)

Likewise change appearance is very clear that you can't change your body shape (bi-pedal/quadrupedal) or size (medium/large).

These two shifts would exist exclusive to each other.

From Wildshape:
"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

I'm interpreting changing appearance as a physical ability you wouldn't be capable of while wild shaped. If you were to rule that's not the case (the rules don't explicitly say one way or the other so ultimately it's up to the DM) then I would base the restrictions in the wild shape form. So a bear could turn into a horse, but when the wildshape ends you would revert back to your original form, not remain as a horse with your character stats.