PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crazy mostly monk build I would like people to help me check over and improve.

Enochi
2018-10-28, 03:26 AM
I'm sure this can be improved or that I made mistakes in my build. Thank you all for you help in working on this.

Okay a couple of things to point out to start. My DM is quite lenient so many of the more 'Sketchy' things I think I can get away with (Considering the Party is 2 Clerics, a Swordsage and a Rogue)
1. Lightning Fists. Technically I'm not running flurry of blows but this is definitely toeing the line if it works with Failing Strike.
2. Two-weapon Fighting/Flailing Strike/Pounce. DM has ruled Flailing Strike is a Full-attack action not a Full Round action.
3. Dark Moon Disciple 7th Level Substitution. This one I think should be no problem but again am unsure cause Chaos monk also has a different ability that level but I'm not gaining it so should be fine.
(There are also a backstory reason explaining how a CG character got Dark Moon Sub level)

Name: Thresher
Race: Feral Template(Savage Species) Shifter-Longtooth(Races of Eberron)
Level 10(Barb 1/Monk 9)(PHB)

Creature Type: Monstrous humanoid
Alignment: CG

Speed: 90
30 Base
+10 Feral
+10 Quick
+10 Barbarian
+30 Movement

HP: 140
(D10x10)+((4-1)*10)+10 (Monster and Character Dice are maxed)

Stat bonuses: (Rolled stats: 4d6 drop the lowest, 4 6s counts as a 20)
STR: 26
DEX: 16
CON: 18
INT: 10
WIS: 16
CHA: 10

Feats:
Barbarian 1: Improved Unarmed attack(PHB)
Level 1: Longtooth Elite (Shifter)(RoE)
Flaw 1(Shaky): Power Attack (PHB)
Flaw 1(Vulnerable): Shifter Instincts (Shifter)(MMIII)
Monk 1: Bludgeoning Weapon Mastery(PHBII)
Monk 2: Shock Trooper (CW)
Level 3: Leap Attack (CA)
Level 6: Lightning Fists (S&F)
Monk 6: Improved Two Weapon Fighting (PHB)
Level 9: Snap Kick (TOB)
Planned Feats---------------------------------------------
Weretouched Master 2: Shifter Savagery (Shifter)(RoE)
Level 12: Beast Strike (Dragon 355)
Weretouched Master 4: Improved Natural Attack (Shifter)(ECS)
Level 15: Superior Unarmed Strike (TOB)
Level 18: Power Lunge (E&A)

Feats from Items:
Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed)(Fanged Ring)

Abilities:
LA Buyoff: Feral: Claws(1d8), Improved Grab, Pounce, Rake, Speed: +10, Darkvision 90, Fast healing 4, Barbarian Favored Class, D10 HDs
1: Barb 1: Fast Movement, Whirling Frenzy, Unarmed Two Weapon Fighting, Improved unarmed attack
2: Monk 1: Flailing Strike -2(1d4-1), Monk AC, Monk Unarmed Damage, Bonus Feat(Bludgeoning Weapon mastery)
3: Monk 2: Invisible fist(G.Invisibility), Bonus Feat(Shock Trooper)
4: Monk 3: Prayerful Meditation
5: Monk 4: Holy Strike, Wall Walker 20ft
6: Monk 5: Erratic Advance, Flailing Strike -1(1d4)
7: Monk 6: Bonus Feat(Improved Two Weapon Fighting), Wall Walker 30ft
8: Monk 7: Shadowblend
9: Monk 8: Wall Walker 40ft
10: Monk 9: Invisible Fist(Blink), Flailing fist -0(1d4)

1: Barbarian 1
2-10: Monk 9
Planned----------------------
11-15: Weretouched master 5(Pre-Errata)
16-17: Warshaper 2
18: Warblade 1
19-20: Bloodclaw Master 2

Hit Unarmed Strike: +15/+10
BaB: +7
STR: +8
GMF: +5
BWM: +2
SK: -2
TWF:-2
LF: -5
Invis: +2(Between Total Concealment, G:Invis, and Blink this should be active almost always)
Shifting: (+1)
Whirling Frenzy: (+0)

Full Attack:
Unarmed: +15/+15LF/+15LF/+15WF/+15FS(Up to 3 more attacks)/+15SK*/+15TW*/+10/+10ITW*
Claws/Rake: +12/+12(+12/+12)
Fangs: +12

Unarmed Strike Damage:(+1d6 vs Evil or Chaotic)
Base: 2d8+15 (-4 off hand)
Rage: 2d8+17 (-5 off)
Shifting: 2d8+16 (-5 off )
Rage Shifting: 2d8+18 (-6 off)
Max Power attack: 2d8+22 (-4 off)
Max PA w/ Leap attack: 2d8+29(x2) (-4 off)
All Out Charge: 2d8+32(x2) (-6 off)

Claws:
Base: 1d8+15

Fangs:
Base: 1d6+19

Imitative: +7(+2 Aggressive, +2 Shifter Instincts, +3 Dex)

Saves: (+2 vs Spells and Effects from Evil Sources)
Fort: +12
Reflex: +9(+11 WF)
will: +9

AC: 21
DEX: +3
WIS: +3
Monk: +1
Aggressive -1
Vulnerable -1
NA: +6
WF: (+2)

Items: 45300 GP
Fanged Ring: 10,000 (Dragon Magic)
+1 Valorous Necklace of Natural Attacks: 8000(Unarmed/Claws)(SS,UE)
Permanent Spells: (PHB)
Greater Magic fang +5: (PHB)
Unarmed Attack: 9100
Fangs: 9100
Claws: 9100

ACF:
Barbarian:
Whirling Frenzy(Changes Rage)(Unearthed Arcana)
City Brawler(Replaces proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor, and shields)(Dragon 349)

Monk:
Invisible fist: (Replaces Evasion and Improved Evasion) (Exemplars of Evil)
Martial Monk: (Replaces 1st 2nd and 3 Level feats -1 Skill point) (Dragon 310)
Chaos Monk: (Replaces Purity of Body, Flurry of Blows, (Dragon 335)
Holy Strike: (Replaces KI Strike Magic) (Complete Champion)
Prayerful Meditation: (Replaces Still mind) (Complete Champion)
Disciple of the Dark Moon: (Replaces 7th level) (Champions of Valor: Web Enhancement)
Wall Walker: (Replaces Slow Fall) (Dungeonscape)

Darrin
2018-10-29, 07:57 AM
Needs more Mantis Leap (Sword & Fist).

Other than that... it looks Not Terrible, which is exceedingly high praise for a monk build.

Sleven
2018-10-29, 10:37 PM
I stopped at improper use of the Feral template and typical snoozer damage build. Last I checked that required you to take racial hit dice to gain pounce and most of the other goodies. Class levels won't work.

Also, your DM is free to allow whatever they want, but you should at least mention that by the rules you have to be an evil monk who worships Shar to get the benefits. It says nothing about losing it once you gain it, but you at least have to have been evil and worshiped her at some point in the past. Also, having Wholeness of Body is required to make the trade by the rules. But once again, the DM can handwave whatever they want... and it looks like there's already a lot of that going on in your build.

Personally speaking, a certain point you should have enough damage that you can actually do things other than cast fist. I would look to add more diversity to the build, but if seeing big numbers is all you want out of your D&D experience, more power to you. Darrin already covered Mantis Leap. That alone gives you all the damage you need if your DM doesn't throw a book at you.

Enochi
2018-10-31, 02:12 PM
I was thinking about dropping the Feral Template. It is a bit too much I can still get the pounce from Barb. Will miss the 1d8 claws though. Got a little caught up on how far I could take the concept.

Do you have any suggestion on how to make the character more versatile? I have to keep them at least 9 levels of monk (Though I could go more if it would help). I figure between the Shadowblend and Blink with his speed of 70 he will make an excellent scout for the party in Dungeons.

I still have a little over a week to finalize the character.

emeraldstreak
2018-11-01, 06:40 AM
Advice for intermediates (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1133161)

Advice for experts here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21727702&postcount=61) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21727848&postcount=65)

Enochi
2018-11-01, 03:43 PM
Sorry can't use psychic stuff. (Seriously don't think I have ever been in a campaign that uses them kinda odd.)