View Full Version : Pathfinder Becoming undead by accident......or somesuch

GrayDeath
2018-10-28, 03:49 AM
Just a musing before I go off to play today (as one of our DM`s tends to like to have fun by inflicting unusual problems on poor little characters^^):

In 3.p, how many ways are there to become undead more or less "by accident" and without personality change (of a large type)?

Limits. The resulting Undead cannot be Always Evil/have a forced alignment shift (slow shifts due to him having to do evil stuff to "unlive" are fine).
Must work on various races (so not just Elves or Humans for example).
Cannot be limited to really high Levels (lets say should be possible without creating 1 HD Udnead at the latest at Level 8).

I ahve some Ideas, but knowing the Playground, you know it better/All. ^^

Off to play withint he hour, thanks in advance for your contributions!

noob
2018-10-28, 04:43 AM
Necropolitan because you were caught in an undead city? (it is within the fluff of 3.5 but since there is no new necropolitan template to replace it still exists)

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/mythos-undead-cr-1/
Works if you were a follower of a non evil elder then somehow insanity+undeath.(do not have to make sense)

You could be an afflicted were undead(saves periodically to not become evil) or a dune mummy(usually lawful evil not always) too.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-10-28, 11:11 AM
There’s an Oracle curse based on having accidentally performes most of the steps to become a Lich. Doesn’t make you truly undead at first but you get some of the traits

Thunder999
2018-10-28, 11:52 AM
You could just pick up and use an Onyx spear (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/onyx-spear/) then die, and poof juju zombie, they were originally any alignment though I think it got changed because paizo really hate the idea of non-evil undead.

CIDE
2018-10-28, 12:10 PM
The two that come to mind (3.5, not sure on PF) are the Curst and the Revenant. Curst were just that: cursed to not die. It takes someone capable of using Wish/Miracle and Bestow Curse to manage the creation of a curst, though. Revenants are likely to pick up a chaotic alignment change but it's not (always). Revenant are limited with play but they can spontaneously rise. They don't become evil. Both templates I believe are on realmshelp. I'm not sure if I can post them here.

I don't think either fully works for you but they're something to look at.