PDA

View Full Version : Savant Aboleth advice?

danielxcutter
2018-10-28, 10:11 AM
Hello playgrounders! I have this idea for a Aboleth with 8 levels of Seer, all 5 levels of the Savant Aboleth PrC, and 16th-level PC wealth-by-level which makes a CR 17 opponent.

Here is the build:

HD 8: Ability Focus(slime), Ability Focus(psionic dominate), Quickslime
Seer 1: Practiced Manifester(Seer)(b), Extend Power
Seer 2
Seer 3
Seer 4: Psionic Meditation
Seer 5: Quicken Power(b)
Seer 6
Seer 7: Craft Aboleth Glyph
Seer 8
Savant Aboleth 1
Savant Aboleth 2: Expanded Knowledge(Metaphysical Claw)
Savant Aboleth 3
Savant Aboleth 4
Savant Aboleth 5: Power Attack

Here are the stats(32 PB)

12/12/14/16/13/13 -> 28/14/24/20/17/19(after racial mods) -> 28/14/24/25/18/20(after stat increases and bonuses from Recrudescent Memories) -> 34/14/28/31/18/20(after items)

I'm using the item slot rules for Aboleths: two bracers/armbands slots, one headband/phylactery slot, three ring slots, a lens slot, and a belt/cloak slot.

Amulet of Health +4
Bracers of Strength +6(=Belt of Giant Strength +6; MIC alternate slot item rules)
Armbands of Might
Headband of Intellect +6
Ring of Protection +3
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Cloak of Resistance +4

Here are the powers:

1st: vigor, defensive precognition, detect psionics, entangling ectoplasm, synchronicity, metaphysical claw(f)

2nd: damp power, detect hostile intent, object reading, ???

3rd: dispel psionics, body adjustment, ???(2)

4th: psionic dimension door, psionic divination, remote viewing, ???

5th: anticipatory strike, clairtangent hand, psionic true seeing, second chance

6th: temporal acceleration, ???(2)

7th: ???

As you can see, there are a few blanks in the powers and items I want to fill in. I'd prefer stuff that are more indirect than simple bonuses, since the numeric bonuses this aboleth already has are more than enough(I chose Atlantax for the name, btw, after the Atlantic). Don't think the Ring of Evasion works well... there's a ring slot left, and there's more than plenty of cash to spend on power stones and dorjes and stuff. As for powers, stuff that complements Atlantax's abilities well, and the thematics.

Oh yeah... well, the base intent is "NPC encounter" - Atlantax actually doesn't really care much for multiversal domination(LN, not LE), and encounters the PCs in an underwater ruin in search for the lost creation methods of Elder Eidolon(which have nothing to do with Elder Evils). This is more for the fun of it, not for an actual game, but the intention would have "not fight each other" being a viable option, if not actual cooperation(since as mentioned, Atlantax couldn't care less about ruling the world), perhaps even become an ally depending on the campaign and situation. Still, could easily be adapted for a more typical aboleth mastermind, I think.

Ideas anyone?

danielxcutter
2018-10-31, 04:16 PM
Bumping... nobody? :smallconfused:

J-H
2018-10-31, 04:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the Seer or Savant Aboleth classes. Is this Pathfinder?

danielxcutter
2018-10-31, 04:37 PM
I'm not familiar with the Seer or Savant Aboleth classes. Is this Pathfinder?

Seers are Psions specializing in the Clairsentience discipline; Savant Aboleth is a monster PrC in Lords of Madness.

danielxcutter
2018-11-02, 09:12 AM
Aaaaaand still nobody?

ExLibrisMortis
2018-11-02, 11:09 AM
Personal mind blank seems like a good choice for a 7th-level power.
Psionic contingency and inconstant location are good 6ths.
Empathic feedback is a cool defensive ability.
Psionic glyph of warding would suit an aboleth. Touchsight is a really good way to defeat most forms of hiding.
Clairvoyant sense might work for a 2nd? Crystalstorm is a really solid blasting power against non-immune creatures, if you want an offensive option.

Fate link (PR, Will negates), empathic feedback (melee damage only, mind-affecting, but personal--contingency material), hostile empathic transfer (PR, Will negates, mind-affecting) and forced share pain (PR, Fort negates) together are quite interesting. They're not all equally reliable, but with the combination, you can defend yourself just by tanking damage and spreading it to enemies.

danielxcutter
2018-11-02, 04:46 PM
Personal mind blank seems like a good choice for a 7th-level power.
Psionic contingency and inconstant location are good 6ths.

Noted.

Empathic feedback is a cool defensive ability.

A bit of an inefficient one, especially at Atlantax's CR, no? Though not a bad one, true.

Psionic glyph of warding would suit an aboleth.

Normally yes, but Savant Aboleth grants a similar - probably superior, actually - ability as a PLA.

Touchsight is a really good way to defeat most forms of hiding.

Well that's why I added Psionic True Seeing, but point.

Clairvoyant sense might work for a 2nd?

Clairtangent Hand already does that and more.

Crystalstorm is a really solid blasting power against non-immune creatures, if you want an offensive option.

Could work.

Fate link (PR, Will negates), empathic feedback (melee damage only, mind-affecting, but personal--contingency material), hostile empathic transfer (PR, Will negates, mind-affecting) and forced share pain (PR, Fort negates) together are quite interesting. They're not all equally reliable, but with the combination, you can defend yourself just by tanking damage and spreading it to enemies.

*snrk* Oh my god that's going to be hilarious.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-11-02, 06:05 PM
A bit of an inefficient one, especially at Atlantax's CR, no? Though not a bad one, true.
Fully augmented, it reflects 15 points of (typeless, unresistable) damage on every melee attack, and with its duration of 10 minutes/level, it's potentially up before the fight and all the way through it. It depends a bit on how quickly the PCs would burn through Atlantax' hit points (and with how many attacks, and whether they're melee attacks); if you assume an übercharger with five attacks doing 60 damage per hit, Atlantax dies in one round, but the power has done 75 damage, which is not bad. Certainly more than an equivalent blasting power would (17d6 = ~60).

danielxcutter
2018-11-03, 08:08 AM
Fully augmented, it reflects 15 points of (typeless, unresistable) damage on every melee attack, and with its duration of 10 minutes/level, it's potentially up before the fight and all the way through it. It depends a bit on how quickly the PCs would burn through Atlantax' hit points (and with how many attacks, and whether they're melee attacks); if you assume an übercharger with five attacks doing 60 damage per hit, Atlantax dies in one round, but the power has done 75 damage, which is not bad. Certainly more than an equivalent blasting power would (17d6 = ~60).

To be honest, uberchargers aren't the best comparison point, but I do see your point. With a fully augumented Vigor up Atlantax has hit points in the mid 300s, so there's potential.

Tvtyrant
2018-11-03, 12:37 PM
Why would an Aboleth ever personally come into combat range? The creature is likely hundreds of thousands if not millions of years old, and its ancestral memories run back to before time. Every one of its ancestors avoided dying before having progeny, it is the definition of crazy prepared.

I would give it the equivalent of craft contingency for psionics, psionic plane shift, powers along the lines of simulacrum, a pile of minion abilities, and a second home in Shadow Sea to run to where following it nets you a battle with aquatic demons.

danielxcutter
2018-11-03, 05:23 PM
Why would an Aboleth ever personally come into combat range? The creature is likely hundreds of thousands if not millions of years old, and its ancestral memories run back to before time. Every one of its ancestors avoided dying before having progeny, it is the definition of crazy prepared.

I would give it the equivalent of craft contingency for psionics, psionic plane shift, powers along the lines of simulacrum, a pile of minion abilities, and a second home in Shadow Sea to run to where following it nets you a battle with aquatic demons.

...you DID read the entire OP, right?:smallconfused:

Tvtyrant
2018-11-03, 10:45 PM
...you DID read the entire OP, right?:smallconfused:

Yes, it is just horribly out of character for them to actually meet the Aboleth. Aboleths are like if wizards and dragons had babies that then met some Mindflayers and thought the slavery was a neat trick.

This is especially true for one with that many class levels. Giving it a slave that is being dominated and has an illusion of the Aboleth cast over it while the actual Aboleth floats invisible a few hundred yards away seems much more in keeping with the race.

danielxcutter
2018-11-04, 07:34 AM
Yes, it is just horribly out of character for them to actually meet the Aboleth. Aboleths are like if wizards and dragons had babies that then met some Mindflayers and thought the slavery was a neat trick.

Can I sig this?

This is especially true for one with that many class levels. Giving it a slave that is being dominated and has an illusion of the Aboleth cast over it while the actual Aboleth floats invisible a few hundred yards away seems much more in keeping with the race.

Uhhhhhh... I mean I get the general point, but psionic version Aboleths can't use illusions.

Tvtyrant
2018-11-04, 11:16 AM
Absolutely you can sig that.

I really dig Aboleths if you can't tell.