PDA

View Full Version : Magic Focuses

Sindal
2018-10-28, 10:48 AM
Hey yall.

This is admitted a really boring topic but, would be interesting to hear everyone's different flavour.

-When picking an caster, what arcane focus do you tend to pick.
-(OR if your pick tends to vary alot) what

Wands, staffs, crystals, orbs, rods etc.
And all the druid ones like the sprig of mistletoe and stuff.

Do you just take one at random and never think about it again?
Do you flavor your focus in any way?
Are you one of those people who actually prefers having a component pouch instead of a focus?

My 2cents:

I'm currenlty playing a Tabaxi Sorceror. His focus is a crystal (an amethyst, his birthstone) woven into his glove.
One of the players I DM for is a necromancer who's focus is a card folio (Which doubles as her spellbook). She casts spells by drawing the corresponding prepared magic card and throwing it. It's really fun to describe a card bursting into flame and becoming a scorching ray

Lets hear ☺

Aett_Thorn
2018-10-28, 11:05 AM
It depends on the character sometimes.

I've had a Moon Druid with a necklace made out of claws and fangs of creatures, a Wizard with a crystal in a ring, a Dragon Sorc with crystallized blood of a dragon, and a Raven Queen Warlock with bracelets of raven feathers. On other characters, I just haven't thought about it as much and they just have some sort of generic focus.

Eragon123
2018-10-28, 11:11 AM
While it is sometimes overlooked. it can be very immersive to actually bring an analogue of your focus to the table. I've brought a want and a small crystal to a table before to pantomime my actions. Really helped me roleplay. YMMV

(Then again my table has a habit of breaking out my shields and swords so we just might be a group that is stuck between tabletop and LARP)

kyaldo
2018-10-28, 12:06 PM
i once played a gnomish moon druid. his spell focus was a hempen sock that he wore on his left hand. it was a sock puppet that was his best friend that spoke to him. he was a hermit for years, living in a cave.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-28, 12:46 PM
When I play a wizard I prefer to use Material Components. It adds a little more mysticism to the magic, if you will. Every wizard can be lazy and use a staff to cast fireball. I prefer describing how my character pull out sulfur and bat guano, smacks them together, and hurls the fireball at his enemies.

NaughtyTiger
2018-10-28, 01:09 PM
Component Pouch...
i like the idea of fishing for specific components.

also, multiclassing, i don't have to switch foci.

Naanomi
2018-10-28, 01:20 PM
I tend to carry more than one,like... a component pouch and a staff, with a concealed wand tucked away in the binding of the spellbook as well

Sindal
2018-10-28, 01:28 PM
I tend to carry more than one,like... a component pouch and a staff, with a concealed wand tucked away in the binding of the spellbook as well

What horrible focus losing episode did you go through to carry 2 spares x)

Naanomi
2018-10-28, 01:35 PM
What horrible focus losing episode did you go through to carry 2 spares x)
I like to have one in hand (Cleric shield, wand, etc), one that is harder to disarm (something worn, a component pouch, etc) and one concealed... more about paranoia than actual need, but it has come in handy before

KOLE
2018-10-28, 01:48 PM
When I ran Wizard for the first time, my character was a rough-around-the-edge Wizard who got into College only on an exceptional amount of scholarships- from the wrong side of town. His focus was a crude, rough-looking crystal that was the first thing he ever managed to transmute.

However, my DM gave me a hat of Wizardry, and I had too much fun with that thing. I would wave it around erratically to cast spells, shake it a bunch until a fireball dumped into my hand which I threw, talk into it and throw out of it like a catcher's mit, and usually pull out material components for spells from it (DM's discretion, but it was harmless. It acted like a bag of holding, but only for non consumable material components).

Everybody should get a hat of Wizardry, it's great fun. And every once in a while, that one cantrip can be really handy. For example, I made the mistake of only taking Cold damage cantrips and was up against a homebrew monster that was resistant to cold, vulnerable to fire. I wounded it with a scorching ray, and used the hat to cast firebolt, finishing it off.

Tiamatwing
2018-10-28, 03:23 PM
Currently playing a NE enchanter wizard who pretends to be a noble for cons to gain herself knowledge, power, and money, which has 2 mundane focuses.
The pubic one is an ornate gilded wand, designed to draw attention so that when it is taken from her or she simply has to give it up when meeting nobility/royalty no one will hopefully suspect that her necklace houses her preferred focus, a ruby red crystal.

Playing SKT I had an draconic sorcerer (gold) who made a living before she became an adventurer as a theatre performer often mixing in magic alongside the dancing/singing, so she used a component pouch to keep her hands free, later she began to craft her own magic staff of wood carved with runes and fire hardened over arcane fire and was quite protective of it, imbuing fire spells into it and adding higher spells as she adventured and developed her abilities.

AugustNights
2018-10-28, 03:30 PM
Ghostwise Halfling Druid I played once, named lili kiwenkili, used a geode from her home forest as a druid's focus, which she wore on her neck. It doubled as her trinket (a gem that's always changing colors), and trippled as her Ghostwise Halfling Home-Charm.

I like a lot of layered meanings.

But I'll also play Clerics with Holy Symbols as Shields or Hand Tattoos.

As far as Arcane Magic goes I almost always go with a Staff that is also a Quarterstaff.

As a DM, I allow my players to buy any weapon with a gem set into it that functions as an arcane focus, for a 25gp mark up.

lperkins2
2018-10-28, 03:36 PM
I pretty much always go with the wizard's staff, since it then doubles as a stick to smack things. Same with the druid. Of course, I usually have a backup focus (or 2) secreted in various hard to reach and hard to find places. Also, I have the material components for my most important utility spells tracked explicitly, and stored where guards are unlikely to take them on a cursory search (pinch of down in a pocket, feather in a plume hat, a pinch of sand in a pouch in a boot, and a spider trapped in tar (wrapped in a scrap of cloth) in my coin purse).
Most guards (and most DMs for that matter) don't know what the material components for spells are, so it's usually trivial to sneak them through checkpoints as long as you don't raise a fuss about giving up the obvious focuses and component pouches.

BarneyBent
2018-10-28, 11:44 PM
My cleric has his holy symbol carved into his quarterstaff and his shield. He also has it tattooed behind his ear. In an emergency, if disarmed and stripped of all belongings, he can potentially slice his tattooed symbol off and use it to cast. Obviously would need something sharp to skin with but can figure that out if/when it comes up!

raygun goth
2018-10-29, 03:24 AM
I'm currenlty playing a Tabaxi Sorceror. His focus is a crystal (an amethyst, his birthstone) woven into his glove.

For tabaxi, I normally would suggest an obisidian mirror or a mummified snake as part of a rattle.

One of the PCs in my game has a crystallized drop of venom from the snake that dreamed the oceans and rivers out of the wastelands, another has a mummified velociraptor leg used by a king of the Shadowfell to seal his twin brother in the underworld, another has the ice-cold heart of the goddess of peace that he once slew in a former life.

Other fun foci:

A prosthetic hand made entirely out of wasps.

A patch of shimmering flesh that never rots and has the word "Forget" scored into it.

On that note, a squirming tattoo on a patch of dried flesh that wraps itself tightly around your wrist.

A giant fishing hook.

An awesome Germanic/French styled bedazzled skull (https://assets.vice.com/content-images/contentimage/118617/StValerius.jpg).

A bundle of roots that looks and sounds somewhat like a crying child.

A forge hammer and tongs, which when used rings out as you hammer the spell into existence.

A common-looking oil lamp.

A colony of worms that nests in your arm - when casting, they emerge and their mouths shimmer blue and green.

An empty book in which you write the effects of your next spell.

A jar of fly honey.

A dragon's skull with opal eyes, which, when you mouth your vocal components, speaks instead.

A clockwork apparatus of unknown depth and complexity, which must be calibrated to make your spells function.

A belt with a series of attachments, each of which attaches to the buckle in some way, each combination of attachments another spell.

A shining trapezohedron.

A small, golden beetle-like piece of jewelry with a strange insect inside - wind it up and let it bite you to fuel your spells.

A pouch of marbles, each holding a different spell - each one screaming in your mind to be let out. Begging. Pleading. Existence inside the marbles is pain.

The shattered remains of your philosopher's stone - that you will never have the opportunity to make again, marking your eternal spiritual failure, but not without its own kind of power.

The last surviving sutra of the Mu-Aht-Esham. Its pages are endless. It has no pages. It unfolds at your murmurs, and remakes reality in a new image - the one created by your spells.

Sindal
2018-10-29, 04:34 AM
For tabaxi, I normally would suggest an obisidian mirror or a mummified snake as part of a rattle.

One of the PCs in my game has a crystallized drop of venom from the snake that dreamed the oceans and rivers out of the wastelands, another has a mummified velociraptor leg used by a king of the Shadowfell to seal his twin brother in the underworld, another has the ice-cold heart of the goddess of peace that he once slew in a former life.

Other fun foci:

A prosthetic hand made entirely out of wasps.

A patch of shimmering flesh that never rots and has the word "Forget" scored into it.

On that note, a squirming tattoo on a patch of dried flesh that wraps itself tightly around your wrist.

A bundle of roots that looks and sounds somewhat like a crying child.

A forge hammer and tongs, which when used rings out as you hammer the spell into existence.

A common-looking oil lamp.

A colony of worms that nests in your arm - when casting, they emerge and their mouths shimmer blue and green.

An empty book in which you write the effects of your next spell.

A jar of fly honey.

A dragon's skull with opal eyes, which, when you mouth your vocal components, speaks instead.

A clockwork apparatus of unknown depth and complexity, which must be calibrated to make your spells function.

A belt with a series of attachments, each of which attaches to the buckle in some way, each combination of attachments another spell.

A shining trapezohedron.

A small, golden beetle-like piece of jewelry with a strange insect inside - wind it up and let it bite you to fuel your spells.

A pouch of marbles, each holding a different spell - each one screaming in your mind to be let out. Begging. Pleading. Existence inside the marbles is pain.

The shattered remains of your philosopher's stone - that you will never have the opportunity to make again, marking your eternal spiritual failure, but not without its own kind of power.

The last surviving sutra of the Mu-Aht-Esham. Its pages are endless. It has no pages. It unfolds at your murmurs, and remakes reality in a new image - the one created by your spells.

Those are certainly inventive. Some a little gross but inventive

The tabaxi was raised in a mage academy. He'd be too proper to cast with a worm colony. (He tends to cast as if his gem and claws are needles and he weaves the apell into being)

raygun goth
2018-10-29, 04:41 AM
Specifically I mentioned that thing about the mirror because the Tabaxi suggested names are all mesoamerican, and the Mexica Triple Alliance had a magic-making tradition that used polished obsidian mirrors to do their work, it's a bit of an inside joke my group has going.

Naanomi
2018-10-29, 08:04 AM
From a GM perspective: I am usually fine with alternative foci; but generally disallow choices that innately bypass the limitations of needing a free hand to manipulate your focus/materials... things like rings, gems woven into gloves, crystals imbedded in swords... all raise red flags to me from a mechanical standpoint

SpanielBear
2018-10-29, 11:38 AM
My pact of the tome GOOlock uses a pen. He scribes eldritch tunes into the air before him.

Also, if he’s ever searched, it’s just a pen.

Demonslayer666
2018-10-29, 11:44 AM
I usually take a staff and a component pouch. DM's really like to take away your focus as a gotcha.

Sindal
2018-10-29, 11:52 AM
From a GM perspective: I am usually fine with alternative foci; but generally disallow choices that innately bypass the limitations of needing a free hand to manipulate your focus/materials... things like rings, gems woven into gloves, crystals embedded in swords... all raise red flags to me from a mechanical standpoint

Wasn't really thinking of that, but It's an important point non the less. I'll throw my personal opinion in about it

The reason I, as a DM, would be a bit lax about it is that i'm trying to think of scenarios where not having your free hand available actually matters mecahnically to be who use them typically.

Sorcerers and Wizards, the main casters, aren't really using their hands for anything else besides casting. They lack any sort of proficiency in weapons that are worthwhile using for them and cannot bear shields to up their ac. The best they would hold in their other hand is a torch, or a dagger if push comes to shove. you could use a light crossbow, but why would you when your cantrips are probably infinitely better (and only require one of your two hands holding a focus)

Warlocks have a bit more of an argument with their pact weapons and stuff, but again, they can't shield up with a shield. They could dual wield i suppose but get no benefits in terms of perks or skills to do so, as the bonus action is more effectively used on a hex.

Clerics kinda have this thing were their holy symbol is either on their armor, on their shield or around their neck. The notes from the rule say it kinda just has be 'worn' by them in some way (same for paladins)
Druids might wield a quarterstaff which doubles as their focus or hold a piece of wand or something. They can get a shield, but they're probably staying away from melee combat anyway to keep up their 50 different concentration spells.

Bards are another story entirely. Where they get the time to pull out and stow away a (most of the time) two handled instrument to cast spells is beyond everyone and since bards are either casting a spell or stabbing someone with a rapier. They're also part of the no shield troupe in most occasions, so most of the time, their actions are pretty defined.

Rangers use pouches. Arcane tricksters use pouches. Eldrich knights use pouches. They don't have the 'focus' choice.
Rangers have quite a number of spells that dont need a focus though. Tricksters and eldritch knights have more of a problem if they want to dual weild or have a sheild up, so sure. That makes sense.

I'm aware that multi classing is a thing and that probably is where the rules come in. Though i wouldn't be too critical on most of the pure casterer classes who will mostly just be ising their hands for casting anyway. If you told me "The gem on your glove still prevents you from wielding a dagger or picking up a rock because the energy needs to channel through your hand regardless" i'd be like "Fine. I won't do that anyway"

Most people who have 'abnormal, funny focuses' aren't fighters. They're casters first.

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2018-10-29, 12:53 PM
I like to do a bit of flavor for mine. So far I’ve had a sea sorcerer with a glass float, a monk/cleric with holy hair sticks (since since she doesn’t use a shield), and a warlock from Cyre with a shard of obsidian she picked up in the Glass Plateau. It’s a Dark Shard Amulet at my DM’s suggestion, but I haven’t tried the unknown cantrip bit yet.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-10-29, 04:12 PM
I've found they just sort of accumulate. My Fey Warlock started out with an arcane crystal, worn on a necklace so he wouldn't lose it.

Then he got the Improved Pact Weapon invocation so he'd have a focus in hand when he was in melee, or using a longbow, whatever.

Then he found a Rod of the Pact Keeper. Still got that old crystal, tho.

Contrast
2018-10-29, 06:05 PM
Are you one of those people who actually prefers having a component pouch instead of a focus?

Firstly, every caster should get at least one spare focus for themselves, plus a component pouch which they can lend out if needed.

More generally I'm inclined towards orbs but for practicalities sake usually have my primary focus as a staff.

Damon_Tor
2018-10-29, 07:39 PM

The advantage of the pouch is that you wear it. You need a free hand to fondle it while you're casting a spell, but if you let go to do something else with that hand it stays right there on your hip where it belongs. So, for example, you could have a two-handed/versatile weapon and still do spellcasting without investing a feat in warcaster.

I rolled a dwarf wizard (that armor proficiency) and it made sense to use the pouch for this reason; the race comes with proficiency in some versatile martial weapons, and being able to deal 1d10 damage makes me a more reasonable threat in close quarters for the odd occasion where I'd be in a position to make an opportunity attack.

Sindal
2018-10-30, 10:21 AM
The advantage of the pouch is that you wear it. You need a free hand to fondle it while you're casting a spell, but if you let go to do something else with that hand it stays right there on your hip where it belongs. So, for example, you could have a two-handed/versatile weapon and still do spellcasting without investing a feat in warcaster.

I rolled a dwarf wizard (that armor proficiency) and it made sense to use the pouch for this reason; the race comes with proficiency in some versatile martial weapons, and being able to deal 1d10 damage makes me a more reasonable threat in close quarters for the odd occasion where I'd be in a position to make an opportunity attack.

Techincally, a crystal could also do this function if worn on a peice of jewelry or sow into your clothes. But I see your point yeah.

And just to clarify:
I ain't got anything against component pouch users. I actually rather like them.
It's just that most people, i imagine, don't reach for it as their first choice. Especially if they're a new dnd mage

Estrillian
2018-10-30, 10:41 AM
i once played a gnomish moon druid. his spell focus was a hempen sock that he wore on his left hand. it was a sock puppet that was his best friend that spoke to him. he was a hermit for years, living in a cave.

That's the best ....

SunderedWorldDM
2018-10-30, 10:49 AM
I always use an orb as my Arcane Focus. Very rarely have I not used an orb. And I haven't played enough Druids to have a similar trend...

Crushgrip
2018-10-30, 10:56 AM
I am currently playing a Rock Gnome Cleric 1/Wizard 6. He started his career as a cleric of Baravar Cloakshadow who "disguises" himself as a Cleric of Mystra. He carries a shield with the symbol of Mystra on the front of the shield with the symbol of Baravar Cloakshadow hidden on the grip of the shield. The Baravar Cloakshdaow symbol is the focus of his cleric spells while the symbol of Mystra is the arcane focus for his wizard spells.

Fun topic and thanks for posting!

Dudewithknives
2018-10-30, 11:23 AM
Foci I have used in the past:

On a diviner wizard: A deck of Tarrot cards. He played out his fortune every morning, to mem his spells, and to use portent. To cast his spells, he would take a card out of the deck and show it to the enemy.
Remnants from a leftover Harrower I played in Pathfinder who got converted to 5e.

For most clerics or paladins: An amulet holy symbol, prayer beads, or the holy symbol on my shield.

For a warlock: Usually a gemstone like a large one on a ring or as a necklace, A rod created in the design of his patron also works. Burnt stone and a red gem for Fiend, thorns and shifting vines for fey, ect.

I tend to flavor the focus to fit the diety/patron/subclass and past that I don't really worry about it.

I played a sorcerer, who literally got a rune inscribed on his body for every spell, he had to touch the proper rune to cast each spell.
The DM, made a joke once that I was either going to nuke a village or tell someone to steal 3rd base.

Estrillian
2018-10-30, 11:28 AM
Sorcerers and Wizards, the main casters, aren't really using their hands for anything else besides casting. They lack any sort of proficiency in weapons that are worthwhile using for them and cannot bear shields to up their ac. The best they would hold in their other hand is a torch, or a dagger if push comes to shove. you could use a light crossbow, but why would you when your cantrips are probably infinitely better (and only require one of your two hands holding a focus)

Your spare hand is for your staff, of course ... or your wand, or your wand of the war wizard (or is it rod?)

The wizard in my campaign now has two staves, and is sad because she can't manage both

Sindal
2018-10-30, 11:35 AM
Your spare hand is for your staff, of course ... or your wand, or your wand of the war wizard (or is it rod?)

The wizard in my campaign now has two staves, and is sad because she can't manage both

Well sure but what do you need both a stave and wand in hand for? Either of these can be your focus. Special wands like wands of fireballs, sure. but you probably just change your 'fireball' wand for your normal focus after you use it up