PDA

View Full Version : Warblade build

imperialspectre
2007-09-18, 02:46 PM
(Cross-posting from the WOTC CharOp board) In the group that I play with, the general rule is that anything with a +2 LA or less is played as if there was no LA. I want to roll up a Warblade, focusing mainly in the Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon schools for primarily doing massive amounts of damage both while moving and tanking. Some degree of battlefield control would be nice.

So, here are my major questions to start with:

1) What is an optimal template or race for this build, available for +2 LA or less? I'm AFB at this time, but I can access just about any 3.5 book through my group.

2) I'd been leaning towards a greataxe, because it's favored by both the Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon schools. I'm willing to take the slight hit versus a greatsword...it's not like anyone else in the party will be outdoing this character in direct damage. However, would some kind of reach weapon be important for the battlefield control aspects of this build?

3) I'd prefer a template with a human character, because that would let me keep the extra feat. Is there some race that outweighs the benefit of bonus feat + template?

Once I know what race or template I'm working from, I'll put together a more detailed build with better information. Thanks!

Indon
2007-09-18, 02:47 PM
You might want to look into Thri-keen. They're pretty exotic and their LA is only 2, I think.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 02:47 PM
Nonpsionic Thri-Kreen are LA +1, RHD 3, Psionic ones are LA +2, RHD 3. They're a good choice.

Conversely, Half-Giants or Goliaths are good choices too.

Seffbasilisk
2007-09-18, 02:56 PM
If you end up going non-psionic thri-keen or Goliath (What I'd suggest), then you've still got a +1 LA for free to play with. I'd sink that into Mineral Warrior, but if you prefer, there are lots of other +1 LA templates that're fun.

Reel On, Love
2007-09-18, 03:03 PM
The Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) template gives you an INT boost, and very useful psi-like abilities based on HD, with a CHA boost to make the DCs tolerable (and that, combined with Diplomacy as a class skill, should help you not just sit around out of combat). It also gets you spell/power resistance, and the ability to take Psionic Feats (which could be helpful if you wind up taking Psionic Weapon, Psionic Meditation, and Deep Impact). This isn't a bad route--Deep Impact lets you make an attack as a touch attack (great with maneuvers--especially for Power Attacking with one of the [Gem] Blade maneuvers that multiply your damage), and just *having* psionic focus lets you expend it to "take 15" on Concentration check (such as the saving-throw-replacement maneuvers). Psionic Meditation goes well with this.

Your first-level Warblade could have both Psionic Weapon and Psionic Meditation. Those are useful for Moment of Perfect Mind and for Psionic Weapon's extra 2d6 damage. Take Power Attack at 3 and Deep Impact at 6th.

From Stoned Dragon, I might take Mountain Hammer (utility--ignores hardness. Carve through walls and doors, using it every other round) but not much else. It's not a very good school, and on top of that, you can only use it when both you and your opponent are on the ground! Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw are good. White Raven is great at high. Make sure you have the prereqs to snag both Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics when you get the chance.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-18, 03:11 PM
Yay for warblades.

I recently had trouble with maneuvers/feats etc so I started a thread for help though I'm not sure how good it will be for you. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56983

The mineral warrior template (google it) is good especially since it gives you a burrow speed.

I would recomend getting a few diamond mind techniques as well as that stance that gives you scent.

Darrin
2007-09-18, 03:40 PM
(Cross-posting from the WOTC CharOp board) In the group that I play with, the general rule is that anything with a +2 LA or less is played as if there was no LA. I want to roll up a Warblade, focusing mainly in the Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon schools for primarily doing massive amounts of damage both while moving and tanking. Some degree of battlefield control would be nice.

I'd recommend against Stone Dragon, actually. Most Tiger Claw maneuvers require a lot of mobility (the jumping stuff in particular) and TWF, while most Stone Dragon maneuvers are singe-attack strikes or restrict your movement to 5' steps. You're going to get a lot more mileage out of Iron Heart and White Raven than Stone Dragon.

1) What is an optimal template or race for this build, available for +2 LA or less? I'm AFB at this time, but I can access just about any 3.5 book through my group.

The Feral template (LA +1) from Savage Species is considered pretty obscenely overpowered (Str +4, Dex -2, Con +2, Int -4, Natural Armor +6, Fast Healing 3, improved grab, claws, pounce, rake, rend). Lolth-Touched (Str +6, Con +6, LA +1) from MMIV is also considered overpowered. Applying either one to a Tiefling (Dex +2, Int +2, LA +1) makes for a pretty decent Warblade. Using the Lesser Tiefling from the Player's Guide to Faerun (not an outsider, LA +0) would allow you to use both templates.

Flavor-wise, I like the Half-Fey template (LA +2, Dex +2, Wis +2, Cha +4, Con -2, Flight=2xMove, spell-like abilities, Charm Person at will) but it has nothing to do with Warblade.

2) I'd been leaning towards a greataxe, because it's favored by both the Tiger Claw and Stone Dragon schools. I'm willing to take the slight hit versus a greatsword...it's not like anyone else in the party will be outdoing this character in direct damage. However, would some kind of reach weapon be important for the battlefield control aspects of this build?

Greataxe should be fine, but pick up TWF and armor spikes or you may get locked out of certain Tiger Claw Maneuvers (Dancing Mongoose, Girallon Windmill Flesh Ripper, etc.)

3) I'd prefer a template with a human character, because that would let me keep the extra feat. Is there some race that outweighs the benefit of bonus feat + template?

Probably not, although it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're going PA+IBR+ST+Pounce, going half-orc and picking up Heedless Charge might be worth it. If you're going TWF or ThicketOfBlades+AoOs, Tiefling might be worth it for the Dex boost. There are even some strong Half-Elf builds out there that rely on elf-only PrCs (Eternal Blade, Champion of Corellian, etc.).

imperialspectre
2007-09-18, 10:06 PM
Awesome. Many thanks, all of you. I'll probably throw together a basic build by tomorrow afternoon/evening.

imperialspectre
2007-09-21, 12:21 AM
Okay, a bit later than I expected, but here it is:

Kaln, Stony Goliath Warblade (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=647)

Stances: Punishing Stance, Blood in the Water

Maneuvers:
I: Moment of Perfect Mind (deals with terrible Will save)

II: Emerald Razor, Claw at the Moon, Rabid Wolf Strike, Mountain Hammer

III: Flesh Ripper

IV: Bonesplitting Strike. (changed on Dhavaer's advice)

Thoughts?

Dhavaer
2007-09-21, 12:46 AM
Have you considered Bonesplitter Strike instead of Death from Above? Con damage is always nice, and there's no risk of failing a check and not being able to attack.

imperialspectre
2007-09-21, 05:09 PM
That makes sense. Thanks.