PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer with action surge

Mitchellnotes
2018-10-28, 07:38 PM
Hi all, i'm considering a divine soul sorcerer with a 2-level fighter dip (armor and action surge among other goodies), and i'm wondering what ideas people may have for spell combinations that could be used with action surge. Bane into Synaptic Static seems solidly good, but are there others?

lperkins2
2018-10-28, 07:55 PM
Hi all, i'm considering a divine soul sorcerer with a 2-level fighter dip (armor and action surge among other goodies), and i'm wondering what ideas people may have for spell combinations that could be used with action surge. Bane into Synaptic Static seems solidly good, but are there others?

Hold person into any attack or attack spell is always good.

Corran
2018-10-28, 08:21 PM
(Twinned) haste + mirror image in one turn could be useful.
Web + any non-fire blasting spell (personally I like vitriolic sphere for this) wouldn't hurt either.
Or just something as simple as 2 fireballs.
There are probably better things to do though (especially since you can combo with spells from two spell lists), so keep looking and asking.

Mitchellnotes
2018-10-28, 08:34 PM
There are probably better things to do though (especially since you can combo with spells from two spell lists), so keep looking and asking.

Yeah, the trick is getting two spells, only one of which can be concentration. I wish plant growth were on either list because that plus sickening radiance could have uses

pygmybatrider
2018-10-28, 08:39 PM
Can you quicken sunbeam, use your action for a new beam, then action surge another beam for a potential 18d8 + blinded in a 60ft line?

Those would be some third degree burns

Wub
2018-10-28, 08:55 PM
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.0.pdf

Quicken with action surge will only give you two spells and two cantrips, since bonus action spells can't be cast alongside regular spells.

That said, a warlock dip would give you hilarious burst potential if you're willing to spend more levels.

*edit: with action surge

Mitchellnotes
2018-10-28, 09:01 PM

Quicken will only give you two spells and two cantrips, since bonus action spells can't be cast alongside regular spells.

That said, a warlock dip would give you hilarious burst potential if you're willing to spend more levels.

Correct, but action surge from fighter 2 can give 2 leveled spells as long as you dont use a bonus action spell

RSP
2018-10-28, 10:26 PM
Can you quicken sunbeam, use your action for a new beam, then action surge another beam for a potential 18d8 + blinded in a 60ft line?

I don’t see an issue with it RAW and not a bad way to get the most out of a single spell slot.

Kane0
2018-10-28, 11:28 PM
Witch Bolt
Web plus a follow up fire spell like Burning Hands or Scorcher
Doubling up on movement impairing spells, like Sleet Storm coupled with Tidal Wave

pygmybatrider
2018-10-28, 11:36 PM

Quicken with action surge will only give you two spells and two cantrips, since bonus action spells can't be cast alongside regular spells.

*edit: with action surge

Correct, but action surge from fighter 2 can give 2 leveled spells as long as you dont use a bonus action spell

I’m aware of the bonus action spell restriction, but the way I’m reading it, you use Quicken to cast Sunbeam as a bonus action, dealing damage and potentially blinding. Since the spell is now active, you can use your action to unleash a new beam, as per spell description. Action surge then grants you a potential third beam.

A beam of brilliant light flashes out from your hand in a 5-foot-wide, 60-foot-line. Each creature in the line must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d8 radiant damage and is Blinded until your next turn. On a successful save, it takes half as much damage and isn't Blinded by this spell. Undead and oozes have disadvantage on this saving throw.

You can create a new line of radiance as your action on any turn until the spell ends.

For the Duration, a mote of brilliant radiance shines in your hand. It sheds bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet. The light is sunlight.

I could be wrong, but you’re definitely not casting another spell after using a BA to cast Sunbeam. I think the same could be done at earlier levels with something like Moonbeam or Call Lightning if you can somehow gain access to them. Note to self: Divine Soul sorc but with Druid instead of cleric could actually be a really fun homebrew.

random_guy
2018-10-29, 10:22 AM
Away from book, so I cannot tell which spells are concentration spells. My understanding is, you can twin cast concentration spells, because they are cast simultaneously. You cannot action surge a second concentration spell without ending concentration on the first one, since you cannot keep more than one concentration spell active.

Twinned haste on allies followed by a no concentration buff spell would be good. Twinned hold person followed by a spell attack would be good as well. When I last played a sorcerer, I was a favored soul, so I used my twinned spell meta magic for healing.

Wub
2018-10-29, 11:11 AM
Alright, three sunbeams sounds about right. I didn't realize it was concentration.

Moonbeam doesn't work because it procs on enemy turn, and Call Lightning should work, so long as the wording means that you're always allowed to use your action to recast it. There's probably errata on that last one.

Mitchellnotes
2018-10-29, 12:26 PM
Alright, three sunbeams sounds about right. I didn't realize it was concentration.

Moonbeam doesn't work because it procs on enemy turn, and Call Lightning should work, so long as the wording means that you're always allowed to use your action to recast it. There's probably errata on that last one.

Some spells do have oddly specific language about being able to use an action or bonus action on following turns (i think it was melf's minute meteors i saw it on) but sunbeam doesnt have that wording.

Maximilians earthen grasp and something like disintegrate could be ok, but i am liking the sunbeam triple threat a lot. Eyebite maybe in a similar boat, but im away from book to check

Callak_Remier
2018-10-29, 12:30 PM

You can't bonus action a spell. And then cast another spell.

Bonus action spell plus cantrip. Is allowed.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 12:36 PM
You can't bonus action a spell. And then cast another spell.

Bonus action spell plus cantrip. Is allowed.

Reread some of the prior posts, and double check Sunbeam.

It's one of those spells that allows you to reactivate it for an action (like Witch Bolt). He isn't casting Sunbeam 3 times, he's casting it once with the bonus action and activating the special action trigger twice. Which is completely fine.

Mitchellnotes
2018-10-29, 04:56 PM
One of my hopes with this would be to combine a spell like sickening radiance or cloudkill with a spell that restrains, slows, or denies movement. For instance, being able to put down sickening radiance on top of a plant growth would be wild. Are there good spells that would restrict movement that dont require concentration?

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 05:31 PM
One of my hopes with this would be to combine a spell like sickening radiance or cloudkill with a spell that restrains, slows, or denies movement. For instance, being able to put down sickening radiance on top of a plant growth would be wild. Are there good spells that would restrict movement that dont require concentration?

Spiritual Weapon, Guardian of Faith, Earth Tremor, Ice Knife, Erupting Earth, Sleep, Tidal Wave (as it knocks everything Prone), Ice Storm.

That's about it for low-medium tier Cleric/Sorcerer stuff. Sorry, it's not much.

Pex
2018-10-29, 07:51 PM
Since you're a divine soul:

Web + Spirit Guardians

Kane0
2018-10-29, 08:52 PM
Aren't those both concentration?

samcifer
2018-10-29, 09:10 PM
Aren't those both concentration?

They are. If you're using the spell cards, they were mis-printed in that the concentration part was left off.

Citadel97501
2018-10-29, 10:09 PM
I was just thinking about this with Great Weapon Mastery and Hold Person, as I was thinking it could easily be more powerful than sneak attack tricks.

Pex
2018-10-29, 10:30 PM
Drat and other curse words.
:smallfurious: