PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Sporting Wizard - because magic is for sissies

pygmybatrider
2018-10-29, 06:50 AM
Homebrewery link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Syf0rPEnQ

The Sporting Wizard

https://warhammerart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/BLOOD-BOWL-ORC.jpg

Sporting wizards are so named because of their seemingly magical ability to produce match-winning plays and wondrous defensive efforts. Many affluent wizarding schools, in an effort to diversify their clientele or stake out an extracurricular field of excellence for themselves, will reach out to talented athletes and offer to pay for their education in return for their participation in sporting teams. Such students are unlikely to achieve the academic heights of their peers, but are nonetheless valuable contributors to the cultural fabric and continued popularity of wizarding schools.

Muscular
When you choose this archetype at 2nd level, your hit point maximum increases by 2, and increases by 1 whenever you take another level in this class.

In addition, you gain proficiency in the Athletics skill. If you are already proficient in Athletics, you can add double your proficiency bonus when making Athletics skill checks.

Playing Kit
Also at 2nd level, your wizarding school provides you with an appropriate uniform for your sport - usually including a helmet, shoulder pads, and jock strap. You are considered proficient in your playing kit, and it grants you a base AC of 13 + your Dexterity modifier. If you lose your playing kit, or soil it, your wizarding school will magically transport you a new one over the course of your next long rest.

Set Play
Beginning at 6th level, you have honed your leadership and communication skills in order to get the most out of your less talented teammates. On your turn, you can use an action to call a set play that you have discussed with your allies. A number of friendly creatures equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1) that are within 30 feet of you can then use their reaction to do one of the following:

Move up to their maximum speed without provoking opportunity attacks

Gain advantage on the first attack roll made on their next turn

Gain resistance to all damage until the start of their next turn

Once you've used this feature, you can't use it again until you have finished a long rest.

Semi-Pro
From 10th level, you have started to make a name for yourself in your chosen field. Whenever you make a skill check that uses Charisma, you can ask 'Do you know who I am?' to gain advantage on the check.

Clutch Player
Beginning at 14th level, your sheer athletic ability is matched only by your ability to 'read' combat and play what's in front of you. Somehow, no matter the odds, it always just seems to work out for you.

Whenever you cast a spell that forces a single target to make a saving throw, you can expend another spell slot of the same level used to cast the original spell in order to force the target to fail its save. You must declare that you are using this feature before you know the result of the target's saving throw.

Once you've used this feature, you can't use it again until you have finished a long rest.

khadgar567
2018-10-29, 07:37 AM
no your casting stat change to str or con. i am shocked some one made muscle mage archtype and not gace the most important way to be muscle mage to wizard but hey bull fighting wizard yes please.

JeenLeen
2018-10-29, 10:11 AM
It sounds like the 'feel' of this is to make the wizard a bit more of a tank (higher base AC (or at least no needing to cast Mage Armor) + bit more HP), but not actually to make it a gish. If so, I think you do decent with that. If you wanted it to do more than cast spells, I could see giving it proficiency with a weapon.

I could see making Set Play recharge on a short rest. But I suppose as a wizard archetype a long rest recharge might be more in line with other wizard archetypes.

Clutch Player at first felt really overpowered to me, but then I realized that with the spell slots one has available for higher-level spells, it actually seems okay. Sure you can guarantee a low-level spell will succeed -- and that is really good -- but it'd be a big resource drain to use up two of your highest spell slots.

no your casting stat change to str or con. i am shocked some one made muscle mage archtype and not gace the most important way to be muscle mage to wizard but hey bull fighting wizard yes please.

Since the impact of the casting stat for 5e is a lot less than it was in some earlier editions (thinking most of 3.5), I think it's fine if the casting stat winds up lowish. It's mean the save DCs stink and hurt accuracy for rays, but a lot of helpful spells get around that (e.g., buffs, utility spells, or area attacks that do half damage on a save.)

Also, Set Play is based on the Intelligence modifier, so there's an incentive to not dump Int anyway.

pygmybatrider
2018-11-03, 05:18 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback!

The way I see it is that the Sporting Wizard isn't using his muscles to cast spells, he's just a wizard who happens to also be very athletic. He casts his spells the same way everyone else does, he's just also really good at sport.

It sounds like the 'feel' of this is to make the wizard a bit more of a tank (higher base AC (or at least no needing to cast Mage Armor) + bit more HP), but not actually to make it a gish. If so, I think you do decent with that. If you wanted it to do more than cast spells, I could see giving it proficiency with a weapon.

That was pretty much it - although I also envisioned this class being a good pick for a BB/GFB user, as they are able to stick out in melee for a bit longer while dishing out the pain. That was also the reasoning behind not giving them Extra Attack at 6th, as it clashes with the SCAG cantrips. I didn't give it martial weapon proficiency because it seemed like a lot to tack on at second level between Athletics expertise, armour profs, and playing kit, and also the main damage source of the cantrips comes from the riders rather than the weapon die.

I could see making Set Play recharge on a short rest. But I suppose as a wizard archetype a long rest recharge might be more in line with other wizard archetypes.

Clutch Player at first felt really overpowered to me, but then I realized that with the spell slots one has available for higher-level spells, it actually seems okay. Sure you can guarantee a low-level spell will succeed -- and that is really good -- but it'd be a big resource drain to use up two of your highest spell slots.

I originally had Clutch Player just give disadvantage; but that seemed to weak for a potential cost of a high level slot. The way it is written, Legendary Resistance will still override Clutch Player, so it's not like you can use it to auto-Feeblemind a Lich on round one.

Since the impact of the casting stat for 5e is a lot less than it was in some earlier editions (thinking most of 3.5), I think it's fine if the casting stat winds up lowish. It's mean the save DCs stink and hurt accuracy for rays, but a lot of helpful spells get around that (e.g., buffs, utility spells, or area attacks that do half damage on a save.)

Also, Set Play is based on the Intelligence modifier, so there's an incentive to not dump Int anyway.

Pretty much my thoughts too... :)