PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Paladin/Sorcadin Build for Curse of Strahd?

jdolch
2018-10-29, 12:48 PM
Greetings.

I am a fairly new D&D Player and just joined a new Table. We play Curse of Strahd, just had our first session.

My Character is a level 1 chaotic-good Paladin (Half-Elf, 20 Cha, 16 Str, 16 Con, 15 Wis, 13 Dex, 9 Int) and we are in the middle of some introduction chapter (something with 2 little girls that disappeared and now we're in a House and can't leave because of the Mist) and the DM said we're gonna be level 3 when we leave.

I am not really sure, what the optimal way is to build this character seeing as the campaign is max. ~10 levels. So most Builds aren't really feasible, plus the campaign seems to favor different things than normal campaigns (mist, vampires, etc.).

I am probably going to build a Sorcadin, and there is a great Guide on this Forum but i am not sure, what the optimal way is, given the level cap and special circumstances.

Two ways i am seeing is to either go P2/S8 or P6/S4 (Vengeance), P7/S3 (Devotion).

So:

1. Which of those is the best approach, or is there maybe even a better one? (Hexblade isn't really feasible because of the alignment)

2. Without giving actual spoilers, what abilities are super useful in this campaign?

3. In what Order should I take the respective Levels? I would like to "come online" as soon as possible. I don't want to struggle through 95% of the campaign to get super powerful for the last 5%. Given how "short" this campaign is level-wise, that's a real danger.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 12:55 PM
In Curse of Strahd, there's a number of things you really want to look out for.

Namely, undead, demons, and charm effects.

Because of this, I'd actually recommend going Paladin 5 (investing into Devotion) before going into Sorcerer. The extra attacks, emphasis on anti-undead/fiend abilities, and eventual anti-Charm aura is incredibly helpful, and very optimized for the Curse of Strahd compaign. You COULD invest in Sorcerer earlier than that, but that means pushing back your extra attack, which is something I probably wouldn't recommend. I'd only invest in Sorcerer early on if your team was lacking spellcasters.

Vengeance is also useful, and can be used instead of Devotion, but...

Devotion will work better if you're planning on going Dexterity, have more teammates, or if you plan on using ranged attacks. You can aptly bless a crossbow and sit in the middle of your team to grant them a large number of auras without risk of losing concentration on things like Bless. This generally scales better with higher Charisma

Vengeance is better if you're planning on being strictly melee, with a "selfish" playstyle where you deal a high majority of the damage, and is better when you have fewer players, since your build will be focusing on YOU. This build is also better if you have enough support coming from the rest of your team. This build doesn't require much Charisma.

So, all-in-all, I'd probably recommend Devotion, going Sorcerer after you hit level 5. Honestly, though, with that much Charisma, a Conquest build will really be in your favor (as it's a Paladin that heavily favors Charisma over other stats).

jdolch
2018-10-29, 01:07 PM
Hi there, that was Quick :)

I am going STR, running around with a flimsy Rapier Swashbuckler Style just isn't this Characters Style. Probably S&B since for GWM I probably would have had to pick V.Human for the extra feat. I'll need Warcaster for going Sorcadin.

Conquest wasn't even on my Radar. I'll have to read up on that.

At the Moment(!) it seems I'll be in the front lines. We have 1 barb, 1 pala(me), 1 Druid, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue.

Edit: Conquest seems very anti-thematic to my Chaotic-Good Character. Even Devotion is a stretch.

TheHutz
2018-10-29, 01:29 PM
In Curse of Strahd, there's a number of things you really want to look out for.

Namely, undead, demons, and charm effects.

Because of this, I'd actually recommend going Paladin 5 (investing into Devotion) before going into Sorcerer. The extra attacks, emphasis on anti-undead/fiend abilities, and eventual anti-Charm aura is incredibly helpful, and very optimized for the Curse of Strahd compaign. You COULD invest in Sorcerer earlier than that, but that means pushing back your extra attack, which is something I probably wouldn't recommend. I'd only invest in Sorcerer early on if your team was lacking spellcasters.

Vengeance is also useful, and can be used instead of Devotion, but...

Devotion will work better if you're planning on going Dexterity, have more teammates, or if you plan on using ranged attacks. You can aptly bless a crossbow and sit in the middle of your team to grant them a large number of auras without risk of losing concentration on things like Bless. This generally scales better with higher Charisma

Vengeance is better if you're planning on being strictly melee, with a "selfish" playstyle where you deal a high majority of the damage, and is better when you have fewer players, since your build will be focusing on YOU. This build is also better if you have enough support coming from the rest of your team. This build doesn't require much Charisma.

So, all-in-all, I'd probably recommend Devotion, going Sorcerer after you hit level 5. Honestly, though, with that much Charisma, a Conquest build will really be in your favor (as it's a Paladin that heavily favors Charisma over other stats).

Only trouble with using a bow is you can't smite from range which is one of the paladins biggest draws.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 02:16 PM
Hi there, that was Quick :)

I am going STR, running around with a flimsy Rapier Swashbuckler Style just isn't this Characters Style. Probably S&B since for GWM I probably would have had to pick V.Human for the extra feat. I'll need Warcaster for going Sorcadin.

Conquest wasn't even on my Radar. I'll have to read up on that.

At the Moment(!) it seems I'll be in the front lines. We have 1 barb, 1 pala(me), 1 Druid, 1 Cleric, 1 Rogue.

Edit: Conquest seems very anti-thematic to my Chaotic-Good Character. Even Devotion is a stretch.

I actually started a thread on how to make a Good Conquest Paladin. I'm not sure how you'd do it, but several of the ideas that came up were:

"I was a sinner, and to learn it was wrong, my sins were turned against me. It was the only thing that worked. I now turn Evil upon Evil, so that it can change the way I did."
"I use fear as a tool, as anything is preferable to death. I represent your second, and last, chance for retribution."
"I help those who deserve it, and all else will perish. The land belongs to the kind and the just, and you are neither. Die pathetic and alone, and earn your worth as worms under my boot."

djreynolds
2018-10-29, 07:13 PM
Charm and fear are big deals, and at 7 and 10 you and you're party members (within 10ft) are immune.

What about 10 levels of paladin,

Half-Elf, 20 Cha, 16 Str, 16 Con, 15 Wis, 13 Dex, 9 Int

Your charisma is already maxed out, if you want a ranged attack grab magic initiate warlock for eldritch blast, force damage not often resisted. Now you have a ranged attack.

And max out strength, or get it to 18.

Go 10 levels.

jdolch
2018-10-30, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for your Input. Still not sure what i am going to do but i'll think about it some more.

Unoriginal
2018-10-30, 06:19 AM
Hexblade doesn't have an alignment restriction.

CTurbo
2018-10-30, 06:33 AM
Devotion Paladin 7 at least if not 11 and Divine Soul Sorcerer for the rest

=profit

Specter
2018-10-30, 08:36 PM
Three words that 100% sum up why you should go straight Paladin: Aura of Courage.

Keravath
2018-10-30, 10:52 PM
I'd say paladin to at least 6 or 7 for the auras ... they help you and they help your party. After that either more paladin, sorcerer or warlock can all work very well. If you think Strahd might hit 11 ... the paladin radiance damage to attack at 11 is really nice.