PDA

View Full Version : The Best Character

Turtleman42
2018-10-29, 04:55 PM
So I recently joined a club in which one of the games played is 5th edition D&D, I've never played 5e before, but the GM considered me advanced anyway because of my experience in Pathfinder. Experienced players get bonuses, such bonus's being that I can be practically any class or race, only problem being, I've never played 5e, and I've never played with so many people, so, now I need to take advantage of the abundance of forums online and the fact that I'm allowed to be fairly OP.

SO. In a (Roughly) FIFTEEN player game, what would be the best character I could possibly get?

Note, I normally play rogue into shadowdancer in PF, in case that changes anything, warlocks sound cool though.

Edit: Oh my gosh guys! Sorry, I totally forgot about this thread, and update: the party is being split into three, still fairly large parties four the... I think we're up to twenty people, we haven't officially started adventuring yet, we're trying to find a good time to do so, our current time slot only includes two hours which isn't enough, going to take a while to fix that, which gives me time to mess around here.
But anyway, with the party split, my character is going to be less AOE heavy, still, I'm open to more suggestions.

Callak_Remier
2018-10-29, 05:04 PM
Yuan ti.
Is by far the best Caster race to get since they get Advantage on all spells and similiar effects. ( so much so it explicitly states you must ask for DM permission before character generation)

Depends on what class you want. Honestly

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-29, 05:22 PM
15 players is bound to lose a few. I've played with about 8, and if people are new, it loses a lot of fun because people either don't know what they're doing, they're dillydallying on their phones, or the DM is bad with pacing. I've tried DMing it, and it's a pain in the ass to balance, and I usually get a combat that lasts an hour for 3 rounds before I just call it and the boss dies on the next hit.

You want the most overpowered unit in a team game? Glamour Bard with Inspiring Leader for a support. Ancestral Guardian Barbarian as a tank. Abjuration Wizard as a utility/shielding caster. Shephard Druid as a support.

I'd probably go with Glamour Bard. With so many people, buffing half of them into position with a single Bardic Inspiration is pretty damn good. It's also not far off from your Rogue playstyle that you're used to.

Avoid single target damage dealers, like most Rogues, as your single target attack or support abilities are likely going to be ineffective when your DM will HAVE to implement giant armies just to keep up with you.

In 5E, even the small fry is dangerous in numbers. Forget everything that you're used to, a level 10 can be brought down by a dozen smart level 2s (as long as that level 10 can't wipe them all out with a Fireball). In this case, the only way he'd be able to stand up against your 15 players is by throwing at least 10-15 units at you, which means that AoE casters or controllers (like Wizards or Bards, respectively) are king. Anything less than 10 units against your party will be a piece of cake anyway.

Vorpalchicken
2018-10-29, 10:41 PM
Are you all playing at once?

I might consider a half orc shadow Sorcerer. You have two "stay at one hp" abilities to let you survive the massive out-of-your-proper-CR-range attacks coming your way. And you can use a slotted spell for each of the two combat rounds you will actually get to play in a session.

If somehow you actually get to simulate more than twelve seconds a session, you can rely on the Booming Blade cantrip since it depends on Str rather than your mediocre Cha. If the GM makes you stick to PHB only, you may just want to hit the baddies with your staff any way instead of some crappy cantrip.

Maybe take minor Illusion etc instead of blasty things at first. OK maybe take fire bolt just in case. But seriously choose "wack with stick" as your primary cantrip.

elfinboy
2018-10-29, 11:28 PM
druid or warlock for AOE and versatility maby shepherd circle for a minion mancer

if your dm lets you go crazy be a mystic and control the whole campaign

lunaticfringe
2018-10-30, 04:58 PM
Just avoid the beast master ranger and you will be fine. Way of the Shadow Monk is pretty much the 5e version of Shadow Dancer if you want to go that route.

Because of 15 players I'll throw out Evoker Wizard, odds are people are always going to be Danger Close to AoE Blast templates. Evokers can blast without worrying about frying their friends and take all the neat Wizard spells.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-10-30, 07:06 PM
So I recently joined a club in which one of the games played is 5th edition D&D, I've never played 5e before, but the GM considered me advanced anyway because of my experience in Pathfinder. Experienced players get bonuses, such bonus's being that I can be practically any class or race, only problem being, I've never played 5e, and I've never played with so many people, so, now I need to take advantage of the abundance of forums online and the fact that I'm allowed to be fairly OP.

SO. In a (Roughly) FIFTEEN player game, what would be the best character I could possibly get?

Note, I normally play rogue into shadowdancer in PF, in case that changes anything.

That is going to be a lot of sitting around unless you have a great DM.

I'm worried about the DM also if he is giving some players access to abilitied others don't have access to.

Let us know how things go. My favorite group is four or five.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-10-30, 07:18 PM
In a fifteen player game, the best character is Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game.

Wub
2018-10-30, 07:39 PM
In a fifteen player game, the best character is Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game.

I'd tip my hat to him if I could ever find him.

Uhhh, if you played a rogue before... off the top of my head I can think of fighter/rogue, it being somewhat tanky with some serious firepower and roguish skillmonkeying.

But do you need to powergame? If you're not feeling up for the challenge, I'd just research how to make a solid build rather than a cheaty one. 5e is pretty well-balanced, and as long as you play your part well you won't really lag behind any powergamers.