PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't Thor More Distressed

Zenzis
2018-10-29, 05:45 PM
...that he used to be a slice of pizza?

He seems seriously irritated at becoming not a ginger, but I would think the extreme discomfort that would arise from transforming from a slice of pizza or cyberpunk chinchilla into a humanoid stick figure would be far more disturbing.

Assuming the ideas of gods throughout the worlds reflects the inhabitants somewhat, because of the belief thing. Otherwise other weird implications arise like how a world of milkshakes would feel about worshiping a fantasy stick figure or why the gods happened to match this world in particular.

Morty
2018-10-29, 05:51 PM
Presumably because there was never a popular superhero comicbook that depicted him as a slice of pizza.

Fyraltari
2018-10-29, 05:53 PM
Because he was a ginger pizza.
Obviously.

Oracle_of_Void
2018-10-29, 06:07 PM
The real answer is that the whole food universe thing is a joke and should not be seriously considered.

martianmister
2018-10-29, 06:54 PM
Because he never was a pizza.

Gift Jeraff
2018-10-29, 06:56 PM
He was probably beer in any of the food-themed worlds.

Zenzis
2018-10-29, 06:58 PM
Because he never was a pizza.

Yeah that seems fair.

The Southern Parthenon was probably a pizza. The northern gods seem more like an assortment of candies.

martianmister
2018-10-29, 07:04 PM
In a world where foods are people, the gods are cooks.

Mad Humanist
2018-10-29, 07:24 PM
In a world where foods are people, the gods are cooks.

This is the best response I've seen. More generally the last two strips strongly imply to me that the gods have always been humanoid. Most mortals are literally "made in the image of the gods". If they messed around long enough the gods' forms would change but not drastically in one world. The comment about the Thor comic tells us something I believed but should not necessarily be taken too seriously as it may be breaking the 4th wall.

zimmerwald1915
2018-10-29, 08:15 PM
ginger pizza
I can't decide whether this would be pleasant or disastrous.

The Internet suggests the former. (http://www.adventuressheart.com/2012/08/ginger-chicken-pizza.html)

Anymage
2018-10-29, 08:25 PM
I think the bit with Odin really underlines the point.

Changing into an anthropomorphic animal form willingly because you're making an anthro world is something that's under your control, and as such you can change back pretty much any time you like. When accumulated mortal belief makes a change to your essence, that takes a lot more work to undo. Changing your hair color is minor compared to being turned into a simpleton, but it reminds you just how vulnerable to change you are.

kivzirrum
2018-10-30, 09:09 AM
I can't decide whether this would be pleasant or disastrous.

The Internet suggests the former. (http://www.adventuressheart.com/2012/08/ginger-chicken-pizza.html)

I can confirm that ginger on pizza is A+.

Fyraltari
2018-10-30, 10:29 AM
I didn't know that ginger pizza was a thing (though I am not very surprised to find out).
I had in fact forgotten that ginger was also the name of a food.

Suffice to say, I am more than pleased with this development.

Cicciograna
2018-10-30, 12:06 PM
He IS a pizza. And at the same time he's a blonde humanoid resembling a human wielding a hammer.

My take on it is that gods are not actual, physical beings, but more akin to concepts: just as Belief determine their intellect and faculties, the belief of their worshippers determine their physical manifestation to them.
In the food universe, the Belief of his worshippers shaped him into a form that was suitable to them, so maybe a pizza (or a beer, as it was suggested before).
In a hypothetical marine world with intelligent narwhals, dolphins and sharks, he would probably have the shape of, dunno, a hammerhead shark :smallwink:

Don't take this answer as too serious :smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-30, 12:50 PM
In a hypothetical marine world with intelligent narwhals, dolphins and sharks, he would probably have the shape of, dunno, a hammerhead shark :smallwink: Don't take this answer as too serious :smallbiggrin: I see what you did there, and it made me grin. :smallcool:

denthor
2018-10-31, 02:54 PM
He IS a pizza. And at the same time he's a blonde humanoid resembling a human wielding a hammer.

My take on it is that gods are not actual, physical beings, but more akin to concepts: just as Belief determine their intellect and faculties, the belief of their worshippers determine their physical manifestation to them.
In the food universe, the Belief of his worshippers shaped him into a form that was suitable to them, so maybe a pizza (or a beer, as it was suggested before).
In a hypothetical marine world with intelligent narwhals, dolphins and sharks, he would probably have the shape of, dunno, a hammerhead shark :smallwink:

Don't take this answer as too serious :smallbiggrin:

But would he be an acid living shark?

Since any hack can write a source book.

hroşila
2018-10-31, 05:23 PM
Surely Nergal would be the narwhal. NARWHAL OF DEATH.

GloatingSwine
2018-11-01, 09:27 AM
...that he used to be a slice of pizza?

Because dude, Pizza.

The real answer is that the whole food universe thing is a joke and should not be seriously considered.

Won't you look silly when the official OOTS/Aqua Teen Hunger Force crossover happens.

Snails
2018-11-02, 04:08 PM
I think the bit with Odin really underlines the point.

Changing into an anthropomorphic animal form willingly because you're making an anthro world is something that's under your control, and as such you can change back pretty much any time you like. When accumulated mortal belief makes a change to your essence, that takes a lot more work to undo. Changing your hair color is minor compared to being turned into a simpleton, but it reminds you just how vulnerable to change you are.

I would suggest that such is a fundamental Rule of Magic: the more magical you are the more deeply vulnerable you become.

Example: The Djinn that can bestow wishes but is ruled by the owner of a lamp.
Example: The devil that can be bound and commanded to obey.
Example: The god whose hair color can be changed by a comic book.
Example: The god who could be mentally befuddled for a thousand years by a mediocre game supplement from >35 years ago.

Windscion
2018-11-02, 04:19 PM
Thor is like, a billion years old at this point. He's seen some stuff in his day. Hard to think what would phase him.
Plus, y'know, he's a god.

Mith
2018-11-04, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind that Thor also dressed up as Freya to marry Thrym in order to get his hammer back. It's one of m favourite stories.

Mad Humanist
2018-11-04, 07:28 PM
Keep in mind that Thor also dressed up as Freya to marry Thrym in order to get his hammer back. It's one of m favourite stories.

I had forgotten that. It makes it so interesting that the Giant would pick that up as a motivation for Thrym to ally with Hel.

Jasdoif
2018-11-04, 08:58 PM
Surely Nergal would be the narwhal. NARWHAL OF DEATH.Nergwhal, the Bringer of Death with a Point.

Mordaedil
2018-11-06, 07:09 AM
I had forgotten that. It makes it so interesting that the Giant would pick that up as a motivation for Thrym to ally with Hel.

Didn't Thor murder everyone after that took place?

Fyraltari
2018-11-06, 07:43 AM
Didn't Thor murder everyone after that took place?

I think that Mad Humanist meant that in both stories Thrym gets involved because he wants to marry an Asgardian Goddess, Hel here, Freya there.

sillymel
2018-11-06, 09:29 AM
Nergwhal, the Bringer of Death with a Point.

Wait. Woah, woah, woah. Are you saying Nergal had a point?

Jasdoif
2018-11-06, 12:20 PM
Are you saying Nergal had a point?Nergwhal would be an unconvincing narwhal without one.

Aeson
2018-11-06, 12:51 PM
Nergwhal would be an unconvincing narwhal without one.
Unless Nergwhal, unlike Nergal, is female, or at least chooses to take a feminine form.

Jasdoif
2018-11-06, 01:05 PM
Unless Nergwhal, unlike Nergal, is female, or at least chooses to take a feminine form.Choosing not to have a tusk would be the "unconvincing narwhal" part. Seriously, 15% occurrence of tusks in female narwhal (https://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/narwhal3.htm) means it's not a particularly rare occurrence.

rbetieh
2018-12-01, 06:56 PM
silly follow on question?

Lets say a Trickster god wanted to troll Thor...
If he were to change the depiction of Thor to always wearing a purple polka-dot tutu and Groucho Marks glasses, how many generations would it take for Thor to start doing that?

Jasdoif
2018-12-01, 07:57 PM
Lets say a Trickster god wanted to troll Thor...
If he were to change the depiction of Thor to always wearing a purple polka-dot tutu and Groucho Marks glasses, how many generations would it take for Thor to start doing that?Hmm. With what little information we have....I'd guess it would probably take a few centuries for new effects to manifest, much like it'll take "a few more centuries" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1145.html) for Odin's effects to subside.

Goblin_Priest
2018-12-01, 09:25 PM
Hmm. With what little information we have....I'd guess it would probably take a few centuries for new effects to manifest, much like it'll take "a few more centuries" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1145.html) for Odin's effects to subside.

Loki couldn't change Thor's depiction...?

And the world is not fresh. "extra centuries", I believe there were many before, maybe millenniums?

Jasdoif
2018-12-01, 09:39 PM
And the world is not fresh. "extra centuries", I believe there were many before, maybe millenniums?It's a few centuries between the current "good days and bad days" and "good days"; as Thor notes, Odin's been getting better. Lacking anything to suggest otherwise, I can only guess the inverse is true; a few centuries between "good days" and "good days and bad days" in the previous world. Lacking anything to suggest otherwise, I can only guess other wide-scoped alterations via belief would behave similarly; a few centuries between "days not adhering to rbet(r)i(ckst)e(r)h's gag" and "days not adhering to rbet(r)i(ckst)e(r)h's gag and days adhering to rbet(r)i(ckst)e(r)h's gag".

Caerulea
2018-12-01, 10:08 PM
I think the godly rules prohibit that sort of manipulation. Also, Thor would likely take revenge. How does Loki like being a horse? (He took to it pretty well, actually, but that is beside the point.)

Jay R
2018-12-01, 10:44 PM
Actually, he really is upset over it.

But that won't be revealed until midway through the next book, when Durkon talks to the Dark One, while Xykon is toying with Belkar, Oona is fighting Haley and Roy due to a misunderstanding, and Odin is talking to Banjo.

Once you realize what species the Monster in the Darkness is, and what Vaarsuvius's gender is, the whole thing makes perfect sense.

Ruck
2018-12-02, 12:41 AM
Won't you look silly when the official OOTS/Aqua Teen Hunger Force crossover happens.

Roy as Frylock, Elan as Meatwad, and Master Shake is... I want to say like 70% Belkar, 30% Vaarsuvius.

rbetieh
2018-12-02, 03:33 AM
Actually, he really is upset over it.

But that won't be revealed until midway through the next book, when Durkon talks to the Dark One, while Xykon is toying with Belkar, Oona is fighting Haley and Roy due to a misunderstanding, and Odin is talking to Banjo.

Once you realize what species the Monster in the Darkness is, and what Vaarsuvius's gender is, the whole thing makes perfect sense.

You forgot that Malack and Greyviews outlook on the world is so similar, that the two should be playing cards together in some negative energy plane (assuming negative energy spirits dont stop exisiting when they "die" in this this universe)

Larre Gannd
2018-12-02, 02:03 PM
You forgot that Malack and Greyviews outlook on the world is so similar, that the two should be playing cards together in some negative energy plane (assuming negative energy spirits dont stop exisiting when they "die" in this this universe)

Greyview seems more of a Nihilist than Malack. He also has no opposable thumbs.

MReav
2018-12-04, 02:12 PM
I wonder if the Twelve Gods went by some other form before talking animals world and decided they liked their new forms.

Either that or they were Talking Animal world's biggest proponent.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-12-04, 02:15 PM
I wonder if the Twelve Gods went by some other form before talking animals world and decided they liked their new forms.

My headcanon now is that in the talking animals world, they were 12 different flavours of humanoid.

Grey Wolf

MReav
2018-12-04, 02:44 PM
My headcanon now is that in the talking animals world, they were 12 different flavours of humanoid.

Grey Wolf

I too now have this headcanon.

Fyraltari
2018-12-04, 02:48 PM

Grey Wolf

Rat was a Goblin.

Riftwolf
2018-12-04, 08:00 PM

I like this idea. Reminds me of my take on immortal creatures in my stories. The reason thousand-year-old vampires and dragons wear antiquated clothing is because they found a style they liked and stuck to it. An immortal who keeps up with something transient as fashion isn't doing so to blend in, they just haven't found a fashion they like. After all, why bother trying to blend in or worry about people judging your clothes? Chances are they'll be dead in fifty years anyway.

I realise this opens up the possibility of Disco Dragon. When he dances to Disco Inferno, he takes the chorus literally.

Necris Omega
2018-12-05, 11:31 PM

Maybe it was a Disney situation, where you have anthropomorphic animals like Goofy and non-anthropomorphic animals like Pluto.

... not that it would be any less confusing, just that they could double down on the whole talking animal thing.