PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Fey background.

Snig
2018-10-29, 06:31 PM
Hey everyone. I'm playing a Glamour Bard who stumbled into a portal to the Feywild as a young half elf girl. She was taken in by the Seelie which is where she learned her bardic magic.

I'm struggling to come up with a reason as to why she is back on the material plane. What could be some reasons that she is no longer in the feywild and is now an adventurer?

Many years could have passed during her stay or possibly only minutes.

Anybody have any good ideas?

https://pin.it/noi3h277ppssgnhttps://pin.it/r6lrynfvailqq5https://pin.it/r6lrynfvailqq5

Lunali
2018-10-29, 06:36 PM
The simplest would be the same reason she ended up there in the first place, stumbled into a portal. Could also be that she wants to find her family again or she became an adventurer in the Feywild and now wants to venture into the material plane. If you're daring you could say that she upset someone and is now hiding out on the material plane.

Brutalitops
2018-10-29, 06:51 PM
Perhaps the reason the fey thought her magic was because she was mortal and therefore interesting. Perhaps she was human when she went into the feywild and has now come out as half-elf. The fey court has told her to leave as she was becoming fey and theirfore would become boring to them. So they sent her out to the world to either leave forever or to return with new stories to tell them.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-10-30, 02:34 AM
"The way of the bard is gregarious." How are you going to gather lore and share stories and learn new songs if you stay in one place all the time? At some point, you'll have to say to these fey that it's time for you to go and see more of the world.

Also, don't you have friends and family in the material plane who are missing you? Maybe you want to find a partner to start a family, but you're not really into eladrin. Perhaps your fey friends have a mission that needs doing in the material plane and you're the natural choice to do it, being from there originally.

Or perhaps a satyr spiked your drink as a joke and you accidentally banished yourself...

Arkhios
2018-10-30, 02:49 AM
I think Far Traveler (from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) would be most appropriate, since the character has literally traveled between planes, which is pretty "far" as far as realities are considered. And the denizens of the Feywild are likely to have very strange cultural habits of their own which would feel out of place in the Prime Material.

Snig
2018-10-30, 11:27 PM
Hey guys. I've been working on my character background, and it's pretty near complete!

Thanks for the input everyone.

https://i.redd.it/26dswa2bafv11.jpg

CHARACTER NAME: Mary Gold
RACE: Half Elf
CLASS: Bard

HEIGHT: 5' 2"
WEIGHT: 110 lb

HAIR: Blonde
EYES: Blue
SKIN: Fair

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral

DEITY: Sehanine

PERSONALITY TRAITS
- I am given to bouts of reverie, often daydreaming about my time spend in the Feywild.

- My emotions tend to be extreme either one way or the other. One moment I could be overly happy and joyful, the next, deathly serious.

IDEALS
- Honesty. Even telling a half-truth is better than a whole lie.

BONDS
- I was cursed by a vengeful nymph while in the Feywild who stole my childhood memories. I must find out who I once was. My only remnant of that time is my stuffed teddy "Zazie".

FLAWS
- I struggle with the concept of compassion and empathy. Others sometimes see me as aloof and indifferent.

CHARACTER BACKSTORY

Once upon a time there was a young girl, pretty and fair, who lived in a cozy hamlet, near an enchanted forest with her parents. The girl was but a child, headstrong and full of wanderlust. Sometimes after dusk in the moonlit woods and fields beyond her home, she would hear strange sounds like the tinkling laughter of faraway bells, or see distant colorful lights dancing slowly through the air like fireflies.

One morning, while gathering wildflowers by a nearby spring, she decided to go for a swim with her stuffed toy rabbit "Zazie". She dove underwater, and when she came up for air she found that the landscape around her had changed. Her home was gone, replaced by a lush forest bathed in perpetual twilight. The girl was not bothered, and set off through the forest exploring, her curiosity getting the better of her. Soon she came upon an encampment of kind people, gypsies and traders dressed in brightly colored clothing, who roamed the land in a whimsical caravan. They welcomed her to their fires, and soon realized the girl was a bright and shining gem. They invited her to travel with them, and, wishing to see more of the fantastic realm, she agreed.

When the caravan moved on, she went with them. The girl passed her days among the tuathans, as they called themselves, and from them, she learned the art of song and dance and even a bit of witchcraft from the gypsy's oracle. Some time later, the caravan stopped at an enchanted glade, tended by a beautiful nymph. Something about the young girl intrigued the nymph and so she invited her to stay awhile and keep her company. In return the nymph would would teach the girl magic to enchant and captivate others. When the tuathans moved on, the girl stayed behind. For a time, she became infatuated with the nymph and hung upon her every word. Soon, she too could charm and bewitch others, enchanting them with her beauty and song, and soothing them fey magics.

By now the girl longed for home, and wanted to see her parents again. However the nymph had other ideas, telling the girl that in exchange for her magical secrets, she must stay, until one day she too would become a nymph and find a place of beauty of her own to watch over until the end of time.

Suddenly afraid the little girl turned to flee, but the Nymph moved to stop her and began casting a holding spell. Desperate now the girl clutched her teddy and remembering a silence spell taught to her by the gypsy oracle, quickly uttered the incantation briefly silencing the nymph. She wasted no time, running as fast as she could from the glade.

The girl ran for what seemed like days. When she finally returned to the spring where she had once swum, she gazed into the water, a stranger stared back at her. During all her travels, she had grown taller and older, and was now a young woman. She wept by the lake for her lost childhood and finally decided to leave the enchanted world to find the family she left behind. She slipped into the stream and when she surfaced, she was back in the mortal realm. She emerged from the water and quickly rushed through the glade to where her home once was, but something was not right. The trees were taller then she remembered, the familiar path overgrown and fading back into nature. When she arrived at the place where her family cottage once stood, nothing remained but a ruined foundation.