PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Effective Minions at low levels?

Citadel97501
2018-10-29, 07:21 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if there are any non-druid/wizard builds that effectively use summons or minions throughout the game?

Galithar
2018-10-29, 07:31 PM
Anyone that takes ritual caster for Find Familiar?
Pact of Chain Warlocks.

Not sure if there are more, but any class can use a familiar minion.

Or did you mean more full in minionmancy?

Brutalitops
2018-10-29, 07:36 PM
I would say glamour bard. Yo can use magical secrets to cherry pick the best conjuring spells from both wizard and druid schools. Also as a glamour bard you can use your bonus action to give your summons temporary hit points and give them inspiration.

Citadel97501
2018-10-29, 07:45 PM
Anyone that takes ritual caster for Find Familiar?
Pact of Chain Warlocks.

Not sure if there are more, but any class can use a familiar minion.

Or did you mean more full in minionmancy?

I meant full on minionmancy, and Glamour bard does seem OK (although Lore Bard is likely better) at it but the issues seem to be that you still have to wait until level 6 to get summons?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-29, 07:51 PM
Animal Friendship (possibly augmented by Beast Bond and/or Speak With Animals) sort works from level 1. It's not well supported at low levels, given how powerful it is. Your best bet is probably refluffing. Ongoing spell effects like Flaming Sphere can very easily be flavored as your having summoned a mephit or some other minor elemental spirit.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-29, 11:14 PM
Sadly, the only low level minions that you can get are familiars, animal friends, and beast companions. The beast companion is only good of using the UA ranger though.

At higher levels the options are outstanding.

Shepherd Druid
Wizard(Necromancy and Conjuration)
Bard(any)
Warlock(Minions of Chaos invocation)
Cleric

If your looking for a more roundabout way Enchantment Wizard gets some really fun abilities to increase the power of spells like Geass and Dominate Person.