PDA

View Full Version : Booky's Big Theater News

Bookman
2007-09-18, 03:19 PM
Well folks........It's official. I, Bookman being of sound body and semi sound mind, will be directing the show "Everybody Loves Opal" at the local community theater as the Young Adult Production in June 2008.
Now congratulate me!

And then give me sanity pills :smalltongue:

Please?

GimliFett
2007-09-18, 03:25 PM
Congrats! Now, Young Adult means what, 13+? 15+? I do not envy you. :smallbiggrin:

Mr Croup
2007-09-18, 03:28 PM
Congrats sir. Is this your first time directing? Just remember to breathe, and that your stage manager is your best friend. But yeah, congrats, and good luck!

PlatinumJester
2007-09-18, 03:29 PM
Congratulations m'man. Hope everything goes well.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 03:42 PM
Age Range is 15-20. I'm 18 and will be 19 shortly after when I suspect Auditions are gonna be......

Congrats sir. Is this your first time directing? Just remember to breathe, and that your stage manager is your best friend. But yeah, congrats, and good luck!

Yup it is my first time. Essentially. I'm doing a little 10 minute play for my theater class but......nothing as professional as this.

The Prince of Cats
2007-09-18, 03:42 PM
your stage manager is your best friend
Speaking as a director and stage manager, I would have to say that this is not necessarily the truth. It would be better to say that the stage-manager is not your enemy, that he is not saying no just because he doesn't like you.

Listen to the SM, be polite to the crew and do not hesitate to slap down any actor who gives the crew any gyp. The SM is a good friend to have. Talk to your SM, ask them questions and explain what you want to achieve rather than what you want them to do.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 03:43 PM
Speaking as a director and stage manager, I would have to say that this is not necessarily the truth. It would be better to say that the stage-manager is not your enemy, that he is not saying no just because he doesn't like you.

Listen to the SM, be polite to the crew and do not hesitate to slap down any actor who gives the crew any gyp. The SM is a good friend to have. Talk to your SM, ask them questions and explain what you want to achieve rather than what you want them to do.

I should have few problems with that having BEEN primarily a techie for shows for the past year so I "know" their world.

I hope :tongue:

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 03:47 PM
I envy you. The chance to lord over a group of young, emotionally unstable actors? You have the makings of a crime syndicat here! Awesome! And good luck.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 03:51 PM
I envy you. The chance to lord over a group of young, emotionally unstable actors? You have the makings of a crime syndicat here! Awesome! And good luck.

Aww now I'll have to cancel the crime syndicate meeting for this OTHER syndicate......darn

Cyrano
2007-09-18, 03:54 PM
Or turn the crime syndicate into a vigilante syndicate and play 'em off one another! Chawesome.

sktarq
2007-09-18, 03:54 PM
To get things off on the right tone. When you and the SM meet up for the first offical shindig present them with a small gift. Since the SM is often one who feels like they have NO friends give them a teddy bear-so someone is always on their side...but since it will be backstage make sure it is black. I then recomend getting as large bottles of Antacid and Tylenol and wraping the bears arms around them.

And I'd say break a leg but your more likely to break your voice....finally please don't cast yourself in the lead.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-18, 03:55 PM
Well folks........It's official. I, Bookman being of sound body and semi sound mind, will be directing the show "Everybody Loves Opal" at the local community theater as the Young Adult Production in June 2008.
Now congratulate me!

And then give me sanity pills :smalltongue:

Please?

Congratulations!

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-09-18, 03:58 PM
Go Bookie!! You'll do great.

Break a leg!

Mr Croup
2007-09-18, 04:01 PM

Yeah, as a director and a once upon a time stage manager, myself, I understand what you're getting at. I suppose "the stage manager can be your best friend," would have been more apt phrasing. That is to say that if you can cultivate a good relationship with your SM then you'll be at a serious advantage. A competent stage manager has saved many a show, director's sanity, and reputation.

To take what Prince of Cats said a bit further, remember to treat everyone well, cast and crew. If you can get everyone to buy into the notion that this show is as much theirs as it is yours, a lot of great energy can be brought into the process. Just remember that while collaboration and ensemble are great things, that you are the one in the driver's seat.

Yup it is my first time. Essentially. I'm doing a little 10 minute play for my theater class but......nothing as professional as this.

Everyone's got to take the plunge at some point. Even though I'd directed a few smaller pieces, one acts, and the like, the first full show I put up still sticks in my mind. It's an experience unlike anything else, and can be hugely rewarding. Congrats again man, and let us know how the process progresses. And if ever you have the desire for some random insight from a stranger on the interweb as you go through the process, I'd be more than happy to pitch in any advice I can.

Castaras
2007-09-18, 04:10 PM
G'luck with that Booky.

I'll be sure to summon a pie to whistle on the stage the hour before, and talk about Macbeth all the time. :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Bookman
2007-09-18, 04:11 PM
To get things off on the right tone. When you and the SM meet up for the first offical shindig present them with a small gift. Since the SM is often one who feels like they have NO friends give them a teddy bear-so someone is always on their side...but since it will be backstage make sure it is black. I then recomend getting as large bottles of Antacid and Tylenol and wraping the bears arms around them.

And I'd say break a leg but your more likely to break your voice....finally please don't cast yourself in the lead.

Brilliant! I like that SM idea.......though I'm probably going to choose one of the people I've worked with in the past as my SM. So they'll know I'm a friend :biggrin:

Well there are 2 advantages. 1 is the lead is a female and 2 that's a ridiculous idea which I shun. SHUNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

But I'm already thinking about cast gifts. I'm gonna get a small cheap board book or regular book that matches their character/personality/job/anything funny that happens. I did it for another show and it went very well. (Something a bit more expensive is gonna go to the SM and the AD of course :wink:)

DAMN YOU CASSIE! :tongue:

And thanks mrcroup. I' may take you up on that :wink:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-18, 04:12 PM
Psst! Booky...Over here.

Okay...I got an idea. We did it when we did Once Upon a Mattress. Ready for this one: no sets.

*smacks Bookman upsiide the head*

Whaddaya mean "no sets of what?" No sets on stage, man! It's BRILLIANT! People will think you're a genius for having thought of such a money-saving idea. Just work against a black curtain and let your *cough* skilled actors set the scene. Then all you have to worry about are costumes and props.

Oh...while you work out how you can put this idea to work, see your doctor about those pills you want. I tried to leave one on this post, and now I have a little "pill mark" on my screen.

By the way, what production will you be doing?

Mr Croup
2007-09-18, 04:18 PM
I'm probably going to choose one of the people I've worked with in the past as my SM.

That right there, is an excellent decision. If you already have a good working relationship with someone, definitely use it.

And thanks mrcroup. I' may take you up on that :wink:

Consider it a standing invitation.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 04:38 PM
That right there, is an excellent decision. If you already have a good working relationship with someone, definitely use it.

I try and use contacts all the time. And since I have been at the theater for the past 2 years I know pretty much every one there..........it comes in handy!

Only people I won't be using that I already know (probably......ya never know if an amazing techie comes from someplace you never know) are the actors. That's based on the auditions and etc.

What if it gets tired? Can it be a sitting invitation?

LCR
2007-09-18, 05:10 PM
G'luck with that Booky.

I'll be sure to summon a pie to whistle on the stage the hour before, and talk about Macbeth all the time. :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Girl, it's the Scottish play!
Don't you know, that every time you say "Macbeth" they will have to do a silly dance, involving slapping each other?

sktarq
2007-09-18, 06:09 PM
Considering the curse of the scotish musical that a theatre I worked in the whole Macbeth dance was easy by comparison....even met one of my GF's that way.......I SOOOO wish I was kidding.

BTW Bookman for years I have been the oh**** guy at a couple local theatres-mostly called when people are having "social" breakdowns, last minute directorial fit (e.g. requiring totally new sets less than a week before tech sunday) or a building needs rewriting that week. (I bet if they didn't call me for a year I'd actually join the crew). So if you need another person to ask for another POV I'm here.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 06:21 PM
Considering the curse of the scotish musical that a theatre I worked in the whole Macbeth dance was easy by comparison....even met one of my GF's that way.......I SOOOO wish I was kidding.

There's a dance? o.O I always heard that if one says the name one has to spin around three times and spit/swear

BTW Bookman for years I have been the oh**** guy at a couple local theatres-mostly called when people are having "social" breakdowns, last minute directorial fit (e.g. requiring totally new sets less than a week before tech sunday) or a building needs rewriting that week. (I bet if they didn't call me for a year I'd actually join the crew). So if you need another person to ask for another POV I'm here.

Oooooooo I'm building an online internets advice time. HUZZAH!

I'm not too worried. Our Artistic/Technical director (who basically got me the job) built a revolving stage essentially from scratch. And is going to build Noises Off next Spring. (it's gonna be interesting. Our theater only seats 207 and the ceiling isn't too high up........first actual 2 story stage I believe) So he's got SOME mad skillz :)

sktarq
2007-09-18, 06:27 PM
There's a dance? o.O I always heard that if one says the name one has to spin around three times and spit/swear

yeah same-ish......okay we say that's the minimum but we often get a little more boisterous at that theatre. it becomes a dance.....a silly dance....:smallredface:

Scorpina
2007-09-18, 06:28 PM
That's awesome, Booky. Have a cupcake. *gives cupcake*

Wish I could come see your show.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-18, 07:05 PM
Have a good time Bookman! Actors always do better when sleep deprived and given lots of sugar and caffiene! :smallamused:

Break a leg!

Eldpollard
2007-09-18, 07:11 PM
Well, I misread the title. Let's just say it wasn't the word "opal" that I saw.

Good luck though. "I'd say break a leg" but it sounds quite mean.

Baerdog7
2007-09-18, 07:29 PM
Wow, cool news Bookman. While my theater experience is somewhat limited, I'll throw in my little tidbit of advice as well: enforce deadlines, whether they be for rehearsal times or for getting any important paperwork turned in. You will be amazed how much more productive a group can be if it knows how to be punctual.

Bookman
2007-09-18, 07:48 PM
Have a good time Bookman! Actors always do better when sleep deprived and given lots of sugar and caffiene! :smallamused:

Break a leg!

Well that means late rehearsals and them giving me money to buy them things from my store's cafe :biggrin: :wink:

Wow, cool news Bookman. While my theater experience is somewhat limited, I'll throw in my little tidbit of advice as well: enforce deadlines, whether they be for rehearsal times or for getting any important paperwork turned in. You will be amazed how much more productive a group can be if it knows how to be punctual.

Punctual.......I'm assuming you you don't mean I can Punch them are you? :wink:

reorith
2007-09-18, 08:09 PM
congrats amigo. theater is awesome.

that being said this is probably relevant to your interests (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU).

Shadow
2007-09-19, 12:40 AM
Hey! Congrats Booky!

I wanna play Branford.

Mr Croup
2007-09-19, 07:21 AM

What if it gets tired? Can it be a sitting invitation?

How about a lounging about invitation? Or, a reclining invitation?