PDA

View Full Version : Eberron AL game

Gydian
2018-10-29, 07:56 PM
Im planning to make a warforged for the upcoming Eberron al games. Ive had this idea of a warforged that disguises themselves as humanoid and infiltrates, kind of like a terminator. Im not sure if I want to make a character with charisma as low as terminator though.

Any ideas as to how to make a level 5 warforged, humanoid look-a-like?

Mjolnirbear
2018-10-29, 08:03 PM
Disguise self.
Alter self?
Warlock with Mask of Many Faces.
Either a bard or rogue with expertise in Disguise kits.

Galithar
2018-10-29, 08:11 PM
Any class Warforged envoy.

Integrated tool is a disguise kit. You can now make yourself look like anyone and you have expertise on all checks with your integrated tool.

I'm currently playing a similar character non-AL that is a Warforged Divine Soul Sorlock that uses the Mask of Many Faces method to infiltrate. I needed my tool to be thieves' Tools because my character background is an infiltrating assassin. I needed to be good at worming my way into somewhere. Integrated thieves tools and a good sleight of hand roll and my DM let's me pick a lock in plain sight and make everyone think I used a key if I beat the lock DC by 5 or more and beat the sleight of hand DC he sets. (I think he usually uses 10 as I've rolled pretty low and been okay).

Most of that is probably not applicable to AL though, but just wanted to say the character Concept is fun to play.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-29, 08:15 PM
I actually posted an idea for something like this in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?571113-Building-the-ultimate-hunter). A pretty fun direction you can take your character: aspiring Inevitable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inevitable_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)).

Envoy Warforged Acolyte
Great Old One Warlock

STR 10
DEX 16 (15 + 1)
CON 15 (13 + 2)
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 14 (13 + 1)

Languages: Common, and three of your choice.
Skills: Deception, Insight, Investigation, Stealth, Survival(instead of Religion)
Tools: Thieves' Tools
Feats: Actor

You are an initiate of Primus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)), the One and the Prime, a member of a secret religious order dedicated to finding those who would flee fate. At 1st level, you are a pretty run of the mill bounty hunter, but have the ability to communicate with your party members silently to subdue your quarry. At 2nd level, the build really takes off, thanks to mask of many faces, which allows you to make use of actor. At 3rd level, pact of the tome allows you to take aspect of the moon so that you truly never stop. On top of that, great old one gives you access to detect thoughts for maximum efficacy in getting admissions. At 4th level, resilient(Constitution) makes you even more implacable. At 5th level, you get the best invocation in the game, book of ancient secrets, for those long nights.

Mr.Spastic
2018-10-29, 11:18 PM
Im not sure if I want to make a character with charisma as low as terminator though.

That man was so Charismatic. Just not polite. Charisma is more of a force of personality than personality itself. A prime example is the current president of the united states. He is not a very likeable person but he seems to attract followers with ease.

Tetrasodium
2018-10-29, 11:54 PM
Gilthar nailed it. I believe such a character is even mentioned in either wayfinders guide or the curtain call adventure.

I actually posted an idea for something like this in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?571113-Building-the-ultimate-hunter). A pretty fun direction you can take your character: aspiring Inevitable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inevitable_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)).

Envoy Warforged Acolyte
Great Old One Warlock

STR 10
DEX 16 (15 + 1)
CON 15 (13 + 2)
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 14 (13 + 1)

Languages: Common, and three of your choice.
Skills: Deception, Insight, Investigation, Stealth, Survival(instead of Religion)
Tools: Thieves' Tools
Feats: Actor

You are an initiate of Primus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)), the One and the Prime, a member of a secret religious order dedicated to finding those who would flee fate. At 1st level, you are a pretty run of the mill bounty hunter, but have the ability to communicate with your party members silently to subdue your quarry. At 2nd level, the build really takes off, thanks to mask of many faces, which allows you to make use of actor. At 3rd level, pact of the tome allows you to take aspect of the moon so that you truly never stop. On top of that, great old one gives you access to detect thoughts for maximum efficacy in getting admissions. At 4th level, resilient(Constitution) makes you even more implacable. At 5th level, you get the best invocation in the game, book of ancient secrets, for those long nights.
No, bad. Primus is not a thing in eberron & has too many boatloads of conflicting lore that can lead to difficulties akin with pretending luke skywalker belongs in a startrek movie or captain picard in star wars. Wayfinders guide even suggests the idea that The Ring of Siberyis could be a shield that keeps influences & gods from other settings/spheres (like ones) from eberron.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-30, 02:54 AM
Primus is not a thing in eberron & has too many boatloads of conflicting lore that can lead to difficulties akin with pretending luke skywalker belongs in a startrek movie or captain picard in star wars. Wayfinders guide even suggests the idea that The Ring of Siberyis could be a shield that keeps influences & gods from other settings/spheres (like ones) from eberron.
You know, I totally forgot that the cosmology was completely different for Eberron. I just wanted to show off my neat concept.

Gydian
2018-10-30, 04:34 PM
This is awesome. Thanks guys for the suggestions!
Warforged envoy with integrated disguise kit
warlock with mask of many faces
actor feat.

Im thinking of making him low charisma hexblade. Take buff spells and the like. Take pact of the blade and use strength or dexterity to attack. With integrated plating this makes a pretty good tank that has a cool hook for RP.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-30, 07:38 PM
Im thinking of making him low charisma hexblade.
Why low charisma? Why low charisma Hexblade?! You want your character to be an infiltrator, they should be decent at lying to avoid suspicion. And if you do want low charisma, why Hexblade? You miss out one of the major reasons to take that subclass, Hex Warrior. Granted, medium armor is nice, but Armor of Shadows is a decent substitute at low levels.

Galithar
2018-10-30, 07:49 PM
I agree. If you go low charisma do a low charisma GOO dexlock in light armor (Warforged light is better then medium)

But I highly recommend high Charisma for either build :P otherwise why be a Warlock at all? Disguise self (Mask of many faces) OR disguise kit. I wouldn't waste resources on both.

Gydian
2018-10-30, 08:13 PM
With Pact of the blade or Hexblade you can use cha instead of str or dex, you don't have to.
Im thinking low cha for flavor. For full optimization I would start with 16 cha and take improved pact weapon asap.

Its not a wast to have disguise kit and disguise self together, it requires 2 checks to see through. High str and high con goes along with the terminator idea.

btw I figured the name: Warforged Infiltrator No. 08, or Warren Noweight.

Galithar
2018-10-30, 08:32 PM
With Pact of the blade or Hexblade you can use cha instead of str or dex, you don't have to.
Im thinking low cha for flavor. For full optimization I would start with 16 cha and take improved pact weapon asap.

Its not a wast to have disguise kit and disguise self together, it requires 2 checks to see through. High str and high con goes along with the terminator idea.

btw I figured the name: Warforged Infiltrator No. 08, or Warren Noweight.

Well for flavor do whatever you want them :P

Maybe. AL rules would allow that, but at my table if the check to detect disguise self was successful they know you're trying to disguise yourself. They don't need to get past the disguise underneath they already know you're not who you're claiming to be and you're about to get bombarded with questions about who you really are and probably detained if it is a guard of some sort detecting you.

Gydian
2018-10-30, 11:46 PM
Thats a good point