PDA

View Full Version : Martial Rogue/ Fighter Gestalt

Max Caysey
2018-10-29, 08:07 PM
Hi all...

I was thinking about building an AoO style bodyguard...And well that's a feat heavy build. Therefore my questions is: Do you get bonus feats from both the Martial Rogue and Fighter when combining these two classes?

Thanks

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-10-29, 08:47 PM
I don’t see why not

Nifft
2018-10-29, 08:54 PM
I was thinking about building an AoO style bodyguard...And well that's a feat heavy build. Therefore my questions is: Do you get bonus feats from both the Martial Rogue and Fighter when combining these two classes?

Gestalt says you only get the maximum of your combined class features, which means that if you get the same bonus or feature from two classes you only get it once.

Bonus Feat is the same feature from both sides, so you'd get one feat (not two).

Darkcouch
2018-10-29, 10:07 PM
If you stagger the Fighter and feat rogue levels you can get a feat every level, but you can't get two every other level.

And if you throw in a few levels of Swashbuckler you can use the Daring Outlaw feat to get back full sneak attack as well if you can find some way to get 2d6 sneak attack (Assassin's Stance works).

ViperMagnum357
2018-10-29, 10:20 PM
Rogue gets Sneak Attack at odd levels, Fighter gets bonus feats at level 1 + even levels. Use an ACF or Fighter variant to trade away the first level bonus feat, like the Kensai Fighter variant from Dragon 310, and you can level both tracks straight up from ECL 1; assuming your build's RHD + LA = 0.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-10-30, 12:57 AM
Gestalt says you only get the maximum of your combined class features, which means that if you get the same bonus or feature from two classes you only get it once.

Bonus Feat is the same feature from both sides, so you'd get one feat (not two).

Since when are bonus feats “the same feature?” They get them at different levels anyway

Troacctid
2018-10-30, 12:59 AM
Since when are bonus feats “the same feature?” They get them at different levels anyway
The variant says "Bonus feats (as fighter)." So...yeah, they are literally the exact same feature.

Rebel7284
2018-10-30, 01:24 AM
It's not 100% clear from the text if the feature copies both the type of feats and the progression or grants fighter feats in places where sneak attack would otherwise increase. I think the more common ruling is that the levels feats are granted is shifted to match fighter exactly.

If fighter feats counts as as progression from the point of view of gestalt is not clear. It certainly follows a pattern. I think you would have to ask your DM. By the strictest wording, you would be unable to get more fighter feats than the fighter progression.

Also, while a curious question, perhaps you should just ask the forum with help building the character? There are certainly a lot of fun class combinations that could achieve your goals possibly while avoiding the issue completely.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-30, 03:46 AM
A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics. A few caveats apply, however.

Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class.

From the SRD.

Gnaritas
2018-10-30, 04:00 AM
Maybe go with Psychic Warrior//Fighter.
The bonus feats are chosen from a different set of feats, so i suppose they cannot be considered the same class-feature.

Besides, the Psychic Warrior offers some nice extra's that would help your build (Expansion).

zfs
2018-10-30, 07:25 AM
The bonus feats are chosen from a different set of feats, so i suppose they cannot be considered the same class-feature.

Besides, the Psychic Warrior offers some nice extra's that would help your build (Expansion).

I've seen DM's and people on the Playground state that those don' stack either, but I tend to favor your interpretation. It's called "Bonus Feat," but it's pulled from a different list and hence a different class feature. If you're a Druid/Cleric gestalt, you don't have to pick which "Spontaneous Casting" you'd rather have - you get both because they're different things.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-10-30, 07:30 AM

This. And what Nifft said. Regrettably, the class feature is by definition the same, so there's no stacking. You shouldn't need thirty feats for an AoO build, though--psywar//fighter's twenty-seven should be just fine.

Max Caysey
2018-11-04, 07:37 AM
Hi all...

Thank you for your replies... I had some of the axact worries, that the bonus feats were not giving at the same exact levels as the fighter's bunus feats.. instead of at the levels sneak attack progression would normally follow...

So still a bit unresolved. However, I think I just have to ask my DM... Pretty sure I know what he will say though!

Thanks!

ericgrau
2018-11-05, 10:15 AM
From the SRD.

What OgresAreCute said. Uncanny dodge only progresses at the rate of the faster class. You don't quickly get improved uncanny dodge even if the classes get uncanny dodge at different levels. It is very possible that you only get a feat every other level even if you stagger them.

The rule is very messy and unclear. Perhaps even fighter // psychic warrior shouldn't work well, but if it doesn't work then there's no clear way to handle it. If I were a mean DM I might say you get a bonus feat every other level and it can't be a psionic feat more than once every 3rd level.

OTOH if I was a I nice DM I might say fighter // feat rogue can have 1 feat per level, I don't care, this is gestalt. I mean arguably Bonus Feats are class features not a singular class feature. They don't progress like uncanny dodge does. Each one can stand by itself. I might even give two bonus feats when they land on the same level on both sides of the gestalt.

So still a bit unresolved. However, I think I just have to ask my DM... Pretty sure I know what he will say though!
Yeup, absolutely. But at least you have some talking fuel from this thread.

Nifft
2018-11-05, 12:10 PM
The rule is very messy and unclear. Perhaps even fighter // psychic warrior shouldn't work well, but if it doesn't work then there's no clear way to handle it. If I were a mean DM I might say you get a bonus feat every other level and it can't be a psionic feat more than once every 3rd level.

OTOH if I was a I nice DM I might say fighter // feat rogue can have 1 feat per level, I don't care, this is gestalt. I mean arguably Bonus Feats are class features not a singular class feature. They don't progress like uncanny dodge does. Each one can stand by itself. I might even give two bonus feats when they land on the same level on both sides of the gestalt.

Another way to integrate the features is to say that they accrue at the better rate (Fighter), and you get the better of the two in terms of choice (PsyWar).

So you'd get a bonus feat from the PsyWar's more inclusive list at the Fighter's rate.